This is a big issue for those interested in the business history of Origin - with company basically inventing the idea of releasing classic games as 'budget' releases which continues to be a huge part of the market to this day! What game started that trend? Wing Commander, of course! There are some other interesting parts, too - like the fact that they hadn't yet settled on a name for Privateer and the announcement of the Origin FX screensaver.
A very special thanks to Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum for making this resource available and to Electronic Arts for sending them to him in the first place!
- Raves and Rumors has one Wing Commander review: "We're starting to see some Special Ops 2 reviews. Computer Game Review says: 'Great graphics as always,' and 'Wing 2 Ops 2 is great, but you'd better be in top fighting shape!'"
- New SKU Review details the budget sofware plan and the game announcement mentioned above:
The CD-ROM compilations of Wing Commander II/Ultima Underworld and Wing Commander II Deluxe Edition are just about out the door... Also in August, the sales team launches a bold, new experiment by unleashing Wing Commander and Ultima VI at a suggested retail price of $29.95 (which will probably end up at around $19.95 as a 'street price'). 'The idea,' according to The Big Bulldog, Marten Davies, 'is to get those bargain-hunters who are picking up the low-priced 386 systems right now. They want to build a software library and build it fast. Since there's nothing out there that can really compare to our products in terms of technology, we want those buyers to pick up these games and think, 'Wow, now I know why ORIGIN's newest games cost $50 to $80.' Then we'll have them hooked.' The special price point is for a limited time only (120 days through Christmas), but if sales really start cooking, the offer may be extended... Current plans now call for the top-secret ORIGIN FX Screen Saver to ship by mid-October, rather than the originally-scheduled Aug.-Sept. period, due to additional design modifications suggested by internal test-site staffers. The Bulldogs have big hopes for this one. Then, everything breaks loose in November. Ultima VII, Part 2: The Serpent Isle (make sure you use the entire title), Strike Commander, Underworld 2 (maybe), and Trade Commander/Privateer (one of those names) will all be fighting to get out of QA at about the same time. Add duplication and build time, and you're looking at a holiday beat-the-clock. If all of these products make it, you'll be able to celebrate by taking your computer home for Christmas. You'll have to bring it back, of course, but to the brand new building out on 183.
- Raves and Rumors has another award for Wing Commander 2: "Finally, pre-congrats are in order for Wing 2 and U7 teams. Moles over at MPC World (soon to be called Multimedia World) report that those two games won all three of their categories in the Reader's Choice Awards... Wing 2 took the best Arcade/Action Game title from Stellar 7 and Commander Keen, and also snagged the Best Flight Simulator award from heav-hitters Falcon 3.0 and Flight Sim v4. The 'official' winners will be announced in the mag's October issue. Killer!"
- Foreign Trade has some quotes from across the pond: "Here's a smattering of comments from Wing Commander registration cards in Britain: 'Keep making games like this and I will keep buying your products.', 'If the dogfights don't leave you stunned, the sleepless nights will.', 'Never have so many died by so few.', 'The most incredible SF movie I have ever seen or starred in.'"
- In, Up & Out announces that Jeff Everett is working on Origin FX - he would go on to create Armada! "Jeff Everett has been promoted from TDA to Programmer (with a capital 'P'). Jeff will be working on Phoenix Force and the screen saver. Congrats, Jeff."
Point of Origin
Vol. II, No. 22 - July 31, 1992
A Cast of Several
Raves and Rumors
New SKU Review
On a Roll...
In The Library
Just a Note:
Bio: Sharon Miller
In, Up & Out
One Month To Party Time!
Today we'd like to officially announce our annual Birthday Party for the CIC's 20th Anniversary! This year we'll be observing the event on Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 7:00 pm EDT (4:00 pm PDT and 11:00 pm GMT). We'll be celebrating two decades of Wing Commander community at wcnews. (2018-07-17)
French Promotional Booklet Beautifully Highlights Wing Commander
Mail call! Hereâs a wonderful press booklet from the Wing Commander movieâs French distributor, United International Pictures. 32 pages and about the size of Claw Marks! (2018-07-16)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: American Chopper
Who knew the Admiral was so ripped? (2018-07-15)
Wing Commander Jazz Album Marches On
Following up on his recent release of the jazz and bar music digital recordings, veteran video game composer George Oldziey has sent out three more updates to his backers. George has exported the sheet music for several tracks from volume 2 of the orchestral project to video format. You can follow the score as the music notation is played back through the Sibelious sound fonts. (2018-07-14)
Origin Veteran's Postmortems Book Now Available on Paperback
Former Origin veteran Raph Koster recently published a new book titled Postmortems: Selected Essays Volume One. Available first in digital formats, you can now also get the hefty, 702 page paperback edition. Mr. (2018-07-13)