Last summer we gave the Windows Vista Beta 2 a spin to see how well Wing Commander games designed for Windows 95 would run, and the initial results were promising. Now that the final release is available, Sarty has been able to completely play through a battery of WC games for an update. Although his trials reflect compatibility with just one system, the results are surprisingly positive. It appears that virtually every Wing Commander title designed for Windows runs well. Not only is compatibility mode rarely needed to achieve stability, but some traditional Windows XP bugs have even disappeared in Vista! Here's his complete report:
Note that Sarty is still working on testing Privateer 2, but the game already functioned properly during our initial beta trials. We still expect there to be occasional hiccups and issues with specific hardware configurations, but we're quite happy that the new operating system won't hold back Wing Commander fans trying to play their favorite games in the future.
No explanation for the color inversion. Even running in compatibility mode doesn’t seem to fix it, so I’m assuming it is something to do with my hardware.
- WC1 (KS) - Runs fine without compatibility mode activated. Colors invert and stay inverted whenever I alt-tab out.
- WC2 (KS) - Runs fine without compatibility mode activated. No obvious problems.
- WC3 (KS) - Runs okay without compatibility mode activated. Colors invert and stay inverted whenever I alt-tab out. Problems with random colorization, running on Win95 compatibility seems to fix the problem.
- WC4 - Both CD and DVD versions run fine without compatibility mode activated. No obvious problems.
- WCP - Runs fine without compatibility mode activated. Even the typical video-skip bug that I always had was not a problem.
- WCSO - Requires compatibility mode to be activated, Win98 worked fine. No other problems during run through of the game.
- DOSbox works just as well as it did on XP with Privateer, Academy, and Armada.
Discover The Darkening Under Development
Here's a neat Privateer 2 preview that Pix recently found. It's from the September 1995 edition of PC Home. This was just before the game officially became a Privateer title, but the article draws the connection that The Darkening's existence owes itself to Wing Commander 3 & 4's live video success. (2018-12-10)
Space Gets More Crowded in Homeworld Mod
The latest addition to the Homeworld Remastered Mod is both beautiful and deadly. L.I. (2018-12-09)
Polish Program Promotes Prophecy
AD found an interesting VHS recording of a '90s Polish video game show, TV Enter. In this episode they review several games, including Dreams to Reality, Critical Depth, Rampage World Tour and Wing Commander: Prophecy. Whether or not you speak the language, this is a very interesting time capsule into the digital landscape of 20 years ago. (2018-12-08)
WC Portfolio and Artwork Now Shipping
Artist Mike Winterbauer's has an update on his Wing Commander Art Portfolio project. Most of the rewards have started shipping. If you haven't received your items yet, you might want to check your Kickstarter message inbox for an update. (2018-12-07)
It's Not Faith, It's Cosplay
Wing Commander fans have dressed up as their favorite pilots and paraded around at a number of conventions over the years, but most have been associated with a CIC-sponsored activity. That makes st3lt3k's recent find a fun surprise. He spotted this image taken by foxpaws at the 2011 San Diego Comic Con. (2018-12-06)