Last summer we gave the Windows Vista Beta 2 a spin to see how well Wing Commander games designed for Windows 95 would run, and the initial results were promising. Now that the final release is available, Sarty has been able to completely play through a battery of WC games for an update. Although his trials reflect compatibility with just one system, the results are surprisingly positive. It appears that virtually every Wing Commander title designed for Windows runs well. Not only is compatibility mode rarely needed to achieve stability, but some traditional Windows XP bugs have even disappeared in Vista! Here's his complete report:
Note that Sarty is still working on testing Privateer 2, but the game already functioned properly during our initial beta trials. We still expect there to be occasional hiccups and issues with specific hardware configurations, but we're quite happy that the new operating system won't hold back Wing Commander fans trying to play their favorite games in the future.
No explanation for the color inversion. Even running in compatibility mode doesn’t seem to fix it, so I’m assuming it is something to do with my hardware.
- WC1 (KS) - Runs fine without compatibility mode activated. Colors invert and stay inverted whenever I alt-tab out.
- WC2 (KS) - Runs fine without compatibility mode activated. No obvious problems.
- WC3 (KS) - Runs okay without compatibility mode activated. Colors invert and stay inverted whenever I alt-tab out. Problems with random colorization, running on Win95 compatibility seems to fix the problem.
- WC4 - Both CD and DVD versions run fine without compatibility mode activated. No obvious problems.
- WCP - Runs fine without compatibility mode activated. Even the typical video-skip bug that I always had was not a problem.
- WCSO - Requires compatibility mode to be activated, Win98 worked fine. No other problems during run through of the game.
- DOSbox works just as well as it did on XP with Privateer, Academy, and Armada.
Happy Valentine's Day
The Love Arrow continues to warm our hearts in this cold month. It seems physically smaller every year though. (2019-02-14)
Empire at War Mod Creates Unique Matchups
SciFi at War is an interesting mod for Star Wars: Empire at War that we recently stumbled upon. It mashes up different franchises, such as Star Wars, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica, into one mega game. The video below shows various Halo ships fighting craft from Wing Commander. (2019-02-13)
Wing Commander Performed by Another Swedish Orchestra
Wing Commander has once again appeared live in concert! This time the WC1 music was performed by the Malmö Symphony Orchestra at the February 9 Joystick 11.0 convention (translated). (2019-02-12)
Italian WC3 Sports Sharp Clean Style
Check out this cool Italian budget release of Wing Commander III! I’ve seen Prophecy and several other Origin games in this same style. I love finding different Wing Commanders from around the world! (2019-02-11)
Wing Commander Jazz Albums Shipped!
George Oldziey reports that the Wing Commander Jazz Albums have been shipped! If you haven't sent your address in - or you don't receive yours in a week or so, let George know what's up! The cover art by SabreAce just looks fantastic. (2019-02-10)