- Jump points. As seen below, a new 3D jump effect is now present.
- Completely scriptable custom cutscenes. Act as the director, script in smooth camera and ship movements. A sample cutscene is provided, showing a jump from one sector to another.
- Two all new sim missions. These gauntlet missions are scripted to provide bonus power-ups for kills.
- Six more ships are included.
- Two more cockpits.
- A kill board. Kills are tracked across multiple missions.
- A login screen, so players can choose a callsign.
- Multiple rooms. Modders can now have an unlimited number of rooms. A sample ready room and rec room are provided.
- More screen resolutions are supported.
- Lots of new scripting commands for the modder. 33 new script functions are provided.
- A new orchestration of the Kilrathi theme: featuring a real electric guitar and organ.
Having a ship jump in is simple with the improved mission editor. Navigation points can have a name assigned to them, which should make it easier to tell them apart.
Flight Commander is a space combat game in the style of Wing Commander. The Flight Commander engine was programmed from the ground up, and comes with a graphical mission editor. It is designed to accomodate easy modding, using standard formats for images, sounds, and 3d graphics. All game stats can be changed easily with a text editor.
For the more advanced missions, scripting is done with the user-friendly but powerful lua scripting language. All scripting commands are well documented, and many examples are included for a variety of missions.