New Flight Commander Now Availableeddieb has released version 1.4 of the Flight Commander engine. It's designed to look and feel like Wing Commander while being easy to modify. Aspiring modders will find Flight Commander easier to work with than the Vision engine from Prophecy and Secret Ops. Here's a list of new features in this release:
- Jump points. As seen below, a new 3D jump effect is now present.
- Completely scriptable custom cutscenes. Act as the director, script in smooth camera and ship movements. A sample cutscene is provided, showing a jump from one sector to another.
- Two all new sim missions. These gauntlet missions are scripted to provide bonus power-ups for kills.
- Six more ships are included.
- Two more cockpits.
- A kill board. Kills are tracked across multiple missions.
- A login screen, so players can choose a callsign.
- Multiple rooms. Modders can now have an unlimited number of rooms. A sample ready room and rec room are provided.
- More screen resolutions are supported.
- Lots of new scripting commands for the modder. 33 new script functions are provided.
- A new orchestration of the Kilrathi theme: featuring a real electric guitar and organ.
Having a ship jump in is simple with the improved mission editor. Navigation points can have a name assigned to them, which should make it easier to tell them apart.
Flight Commander is a space combat game in the style of Wing Commander. The Flight Commander engine was programmed from the ground up, and comes with a graphical mission editor. It is designed to accomodate easy modding, using standard formats for images, sounds, and 3d graphics. All game stats can be changed easily with a text editor.
For the more advanced missions, scripting is done with the user-friendly but powerful lua scripting language. All scripting commands are well documented, and many examples are included for a variety of missions.
Follow or Contact Us