Major Payne has released a couple of shots featuring new ships that will be included in the next version of Wing Commander Invasion. The Banshee light fighter will be the primary workhorse of the new Border Worlds faction. There will also be a limited role for the Steltek in the game, and the Steltek vessel below is his interpretation of a carrier or cruiser. While the future updates continue to be built, Star Wars: Empire at War owners can check out version 2.5 of the mod here.
I had originally all but given up trying to fix the Galactic Conquest test map that had been made as the AI refused to move its butt from its home planet and start spreading out. As it turned out, I had simply forgot to alter the amount for each planet's capture from the "60" that was assigned. A quick editing and retesting and the AI now moves, so the mod is back on. It'll be a while before there's a new release, but at least I can get back to working on the damn thing now and add in the features I had originally planned.
- Special structure to provide income in additional GC content. The reason for this is simply because the GC's rely on ground based income streams provided from ground based structures.
- Additional space base skirmish maps. Now these will probably be fairly basic as map making isn't my strong point.
- Additional space props. These are being added more as a means to give some eye candy than anything.
- Additional map based support structures. I'll be looking over what the WC universe has to offer in the way of structures and seeing what I can put together to reflect these.
- Additional Galactic Conquest scenarios. Although these will be playable in any order I'll be trying to tailor them so that the player will get some sort of feeling they are playing a "story" style if played in order.
- I'll be looking at the Border Worlds for this. That means new structures, ships and planets for this groups. They won't be directly playable, and will act in place of the original stock pirate faction.
Once this is complete I'll be making a v3.0 Beta Edition. If no bugs are reported (or there's some minor editings and suggestions which are feasible to do), then a small handful of minor additional content will be done to mark the v3.0 Gold Edition (as in final version) and I'll consider the mod as finished.
Wing Commander Movie Model Rundown
Atherin has been busy recreating nearly every ship in the Wing Commander film using SketchUp. There's really not much missing - we don't see the Kilrathi Concom, Diligent or some of the small background items, but just about all of the other major stuff is there. It's a pretty nice lineup! (2018-05-24)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: It's Not Going To Happen
That's what we've been saying all along! (2018-05-24)
Hobbes Betrayal Crosses Over Language Barriers
Most people are familiar with the infamous video cuts that were made to fit all of the video on the Wing Commander 3 discs. Helpful sequences such as the TCN news bursts and Hobbes explanation were omitted due to space constraints. Fortunately, these are now available here at the CIC, but for a long time, the main way players could watch the Hobbes scene was to track down a copy of WC3 on the Playstation or 3DO. (2018-05-23)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Evil Kermit
Resist the temptation! (2018-05-23)
Check Out Spanish Wing Commander Armada
Christian Klein has found another rare and exotic Spanish Wing Commander translation by DROSoft. His last couple finds were for WC1 and the Secret Missions, but this jumps all the way forward to Armada. It would be a treat to see how they changed the Voices of War manual and how the English and Spanish versions would mesh over multiplayer. (2018-05-22)