We're excited to kick off a new week with another impressive enhanced Wing Commander 4 video release. Although at some point soon there are likely to be diminishing returns and the pace of new iterations will slow, ODVS has managed to crank out an even better looking package of the game's cutscenes. In this edition there's better character detail, improved CGI and restored audio aboard the Lexington. There's also just generally less compression visible and better handling of lower frame rate sections. All the clips are broken into two packages that are about four gigs each, and German/French versions are online too. If you're running a DVD edition of the game, such as the one available at GOG, all you have to do is unzip these in the VOB movie folder!
- Wing Commander 4: Version 4.0.1, English, Pack 1 (4.0 gig zip)
- Wing Commander 4: Version 4.0.1, English, Pack 2 (4.1 gig zip)
- Wing Commander 4: Version 4.0.1, German, Pack 1 (3.8 gig zip)
- Wing Commander 4: Version 4.0.1, German, Pack 2 (4.0 gig zip)
- Wing Commander 4: Version 4.0.1, French, Pack 1 (3.8 gig zip)
- Wing Commander 4: Version 4.0.1, French, Pack 2 (4.0 gig zip)
Updates to this pack include:You can also find WC3 and Prophecy clips in our archive.
I don't take the time to watch all four hours(!) of the footage back after rendering every version of the pack - so if any Wingnuts out there notice any glitches or oddities in the footage, please let me know and I'll address them and release patches. For example, I know there are a couple of videos that have wonky aspect ratios in the original DVD files (black bars to the left and right, etc.) but I don't know which ones they are without watching through EVERYTHING. If you spot anything like that, just let me know and I'll get it remedied :^)
- New AI model retains/generates finer detail in faces/skin/hair/uniforms etc.
- Better detail recreation in CGI scenes
- Audio restored in the Lexington room transition scenes (props to @AD - I got the audio from his Holovids videos)
- Entirely new AI method to fix low frame-rate sequences (Seether blowing up the Orlando Depot and approaching Blair for the final confrontation)
- Overall higher quality video compression - I used a far slower process, but it reduced the amount of compression artefacts/image fidelity loss overall