Stinger has released a long-awaited update to his
WCDX patch for Kilrathi Saga. The program makes a number of critical updates to the game's DirectX implementation in order to improve compatibility on modern computers. WC1 has been the primary focus, but the last couple updates provide initial support for Wing Commander 2. This update refines that and improves stability and smoothness of your WC2 game in Windows. Grab the files here and give it a try!
- Patcher internals have been completely overhauled. Ideally, you won't notice any difference, but you should now get better error messages when things go wrong.
- Due to implementation divergence in the underlying platform, wcdx now handles scaling of the game's graphics internally instead of relying on the operating system.
- Restored mouse cursor positioning for all games.
- Much better multi-monitor support.
- Fixed a couple of crashes in WC2.
- WC2 saved games are now saved in the user's Saved Games directory, alongside wcdx WC1 saves.
- Characters can now be transferred from wcdx WC1.
- Volume settings persist between games.
CIC Forums Upgraded
Frequent visitors to the CIC Forums have already noticed that our message boards got a big upgrade this weekend. We first switched over to Xenforo 1.0 back in 2011, and this brings us up to 2. (2019-02-17)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Pills That Make You Stare
We just need to invent pills that make people play the WC CCG now... (2019-02-16)
Tune in Thursday for ALL WINGS CONSIDERED
The Combat Information Center team is proud to announce that we will be launching the Wing Commander community's first-ever weekly streaming show. The first episode of ALL WINGS CONSIDERED will air on YouTube this coming Thursday, February 21st at 7 PM Eastern. All Wings Considered is a live, weekly and informal look at the Wing Commander universe and fandom which includes gameplay, behind the scenes stories, community news and an ever-growing collection of regular segments and features! (2019-02-15)
Happy Valentine's Day
The Love Arrow continues to warm our hearts in this cold month. It seems physically smaller every year though. (2019-02-14)
Empire at War Mod Creates Unique Matchups
SciFi at War is an interesting mod for Star Wars: Empire at War that we recently stumbled upon. It mashes up different franchises, such as Star Wars, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica, into one mega game. The video below shows various Halo ships fighting craft from Wing Commander. (2019-02-13)