The highly anticipated open multiplayer test of the Wing Commander Flat Universe is now available. Wingnuts can go in and register and download the fan game for Windows, Mac or Linux. There are lots of nice improvements to the core game itself as well, even if you're not into blasting your friends. And if you are looking for a copilot, hit up the CIC Forums!
We are pleased to announce that the FlatUniverse multiplayer alpha server is up and running. Gentlemen start your engines! This early access version includes:
- Room based online multiplayer game
- Improvements suggested during the closed alpha period:
- HUD improvements for better situation awareness
- Better balancing for the heavies (esp. the Broadsword) plus their turrets now get damaged
- Black-out and tunnel vision effects due to high g maneuvers (which gets worse if your acceleration absorbers are damaged)
- Highly improved explosions (the old ones where boring)
- A couple new soundtrack pieces by Cory Fujimori
- Updated graphics effects (better anti-aliasing, bloom etc.). The poster image is not a mock-up. It was render through the game engine!
- Several bug fixes and improvements
- And most importantly: A brand new launcher/patching system that will allow us to make incremental updates to the game without the need to download/reinstall the whole thing.