A busy year in the Wing Commander community has come to a close, so it's time for another annual tradition. The CIC Web Site & Fan Project of the Year contests help to recognize the numerous contributions of our fellow Wingnuts. Below is a list of major undertakings that made an impact in 2012, although it's certainly not an exhaustive list of all the incredible things that fans accomplished over the past year. On to the nominees!
Web Site of the Year
Pix's Origin Adventures is amazingly dedicated to all things Origin. Pix is constantly researching old material, digging up cool oddities and sharing new insights into the Wing Commander series and its sibling franchises. His archive is neatly organized by game, and troves of information are available in just a few clicks.
Shotglass' Bar fills the need to keep German fans in the loop. Germany has historically been one of the largest markets for the WC series, and they stay on top of the latest news here.
Tactical Operations is an awesome fan made tabletop Wing Commander game, and it continues to be refined into a slick online package. Basic coding is virtually complete, and a game manager is coming soon.
Wedge's Wing Commander continues to see incremental updates to help Wing Commander fans stay on top of things. The site moved to a new web host, added new WC patches and updated its interface and presentation in recent months.
Wing Commander RPG Wiki is the headquarters for capi's fan made role playing game. In addition to rules for playing the game, it's also packed with information about the WC universe. There are also other resources to help aspiring fans of tabletop WC play.
Fan Project of the Year
- The Collected works of CMDBob highlight classic Wing Commander 1 ships in a charming animated style. It'd be great to see these in more than just wallpapers someday.
- The Collected works of Cybot are numerous and diverse. His models cover everything from the Academy TV show to Privateer, and they highlight understated buoys and transport craft just as much as massive dreadnoughts.
- The Collected works of NinjaLA adds a hand-made touch to Wing Commander fan art. His Wing Commander sketches are also timely as they are prolifict as they often commemorate news or special events in the WC universe.
- The Collected works of ScoobyDoo have a distinctive metallic style that has contributed to the fleets of multiple fan projects this year. When he's not helping out various mods, the results are very creative hybrids inspired by famous WC ships.
- Enigma 2666 has been one of the more consistent mods over the last year. It's seen steady progress that's added many more ships and implemented them in the game engine.
- From the Jaws of Defeat is a case study in how to set a goal, work hard and release a fan product in a timely fashion. It's an audio adventure that stars voice actors from around the community - hopefully the first of many!
- Klavs' (Physical) Models aren't just beautiful on screen. Via rapid prototyping, a handful of Wing Commander ships can be yours for tabletop gaming or desk ornamentation. This is still an emerging technology, and there are high hopes that more complex designs will be possible as model size increases and cost decreases in the coming years.
- Wing Commander Saga concluded a decade of development with the big release of their highly anticipated game in 2012. The game garnered much attention and fans hope for ports to be released in 2013.
Games that Rock: Wing Commander 3
Nerds that Geek has posted a quick flashback on the majesty of Wing Commander 3. The article's not long, but it captures the essence of what made The Heart of the Tiger great. The author credits the game for kickstarting FMV and next-level storytelling in games without compromising on the gameplay. (2018-05-25)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Who Would Win?
Wing Commander Movie Model Rundown
Atherin has been busy recreating nearly every ship in the Wing Commander film using SketchUp. There's really not much missing - we don't see the Kilrathi Concom, Diligent or some of the small background items, but just about all of the other major stuff is there. It's a pretty nice lineup! (2018-05-24)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: It's Not Going To Happen
That's what we've been saying all along! (2018-05-24)
Hobbes Betrayal Crosses Over Language Barriers
Most people are familiar with the infamous video cuts that were made to fit all of the video on the Wing Commander 3 discs. Helpful sequences such as the TCN news bursts and Hobbes explanation were omitted due to space constraints. Fortunately, these are now available here at the CIC, but for a long time, the main way players could watch the Hobbes scene was to track down a copy of WC3 on the Playstation or 3DO. (2018-05-23)