This is the Star*Soldier gloss for the fourth systems page:
CONCEPT: See the previous post!
- "Natanya" - This was one of the three additional star systems which left the Empire in Special Operations 1. Here it's representing Arena's criminally underappreciated 'satellite' map. The backstory comes from the fact that the system was named N'Tanya in Special Operations 1 but Natanya on the Wing Commander Universe map. This seemed like an interesting story, albeit it somewhat similar to Wunderland from the Man Kzin/Known Space novels.
- "Prince Thrakhath's refusal..." - An acknowledgement of the fact that the events of the Special Operations mission disks just aren't referenced again in Wing Commander III, for whatever reason.
- "Midgard" - Midgard was seen in The Secret Missions and then later (in Privateer) said to be the site of the Sixth Fleet's destruction (which happened in Special Operations 1). Whew! With that history, it only seemed appropriate that it represent Conflict's popular CapShip mode. As you can see, it took some leaps in logic to explain why there was a single place in the quadrant where fleet actions occur regularly...
- "Baldr's Channel" - A name from Norse mythology, to go with the system.
- "escort fighters, interceptors and bombers" - The three fighter roles represented in Arena.
- "Sting" - I just thought this was a funny name for a planet.
- "Qarg Governorship" - One of the least (or now possibly most) appreciated Kilrathi noble clans.
- "Sandworms and powerful dust storms" - Dune, it aint!
- "Rigel" - Rigel is a real star and a staple of all science fiction. It appears on the Wing Commander Universe map, among other places.
- "hover-cities... Ghorx Chasm" - In general I feel this is the paragraph that best emulates those wonderful planet descriptions from Privateer 2.