Eddieb is making good progress on the next iteration of Flight Commander. This impressive project strives to recreate a Wing Commander type experience in a package that is also easy to edit and create new fan projects with. While he is busy researching how to properly implement enemy AI, there have been plenty of other advancements made.
Yeah, 1.6 is coming along great, I've finished up some missile work, and ... I've implemented damage reports, and the damage model.
You can visit the FC issue tracker to see what kind of progress has been made or report bugs so that Eddie can make Flight Commander even better.
If you get shot up, your ship's performance starts to degrade. You lose missiles, you slow down, you can't afterburn. Your trusty repair system helps get you back on your feet.
While I was at it, I cleaned up the hud a little bit too.
This is the Star*Soldier gloss for the fourth Joan's page:
CONCEPT: See the previous post!
- I love how some of the Broadswords cover up the text. The ships are all to scale and we had a heck of a time fitting them in correctly.
- "pre-war role as a heavy missile platform" - I forgot myself here. This refers to its pre-KILRATHI-war role as a heavy missile platform, an attempt to explain why Broadswords were around in 2632 well before anyone had any torpedoes.
- "military grade tractor beam" - An attempt to suggest that the weapons used by the military and the ones used by civilians are different, which is why the latter are so cheap in Privateer.
- "Camelot Industries" - Flash was a test pilot for Camelot Industries in the Wing Commander III novelization.
- "relegated to the surplus yards" - False Colors claims that the Confederation has retired the Broadsword design, so I needed a brief tie-it-to-the-Nephilim War explanation to
- Moreover, this is another 'what should have been' battle description. I want to attack a construction reef! It's also wish fulfillment - I know 'organic' can mean anything, but I really wanted to see Syd Mead's original concept of Nephlim warships that grow their own fighters.
- "militia Warpig squadron" - We see that the Confederation has an organized militia system starting in Privateer. My thought here is that they have been called up much like the modern National Guard.
- Note that the Broadsword Behemoth is five meters longer than the other two (and the classic design). This was, again, the Producer's suggestion.
- "Platolum" - The new type of armor discovered on Ghorah Khar in Victory Streak.