Worst Fighter?

fongsaunder said:
Hehehe the Shrike, one of my fav. bombers, if ur playing Prophecy Advance, just take a look at the alien's face when they see a Torpedo homing on their fighter from 10000 kliks away, nice ship.

You're saying in Prophecy advance you can acquire a torpedo lock on a fighter? I'd admit that would be quite funny :D

In multiplayer, you can torpedo fighters, which someone used to great effect during the 4-way multiplayer fragfest at DragonCon '04. The dirty rat bastard.

I don't know if it also works for single player mode, but probably does.

Bombadier said:
Worst fighter of all time: The Gladius. Like most multi-purpose craft can't do much of anything well. Horrible gun placement, slow, weak shields and armour. Definitely not my favorite for a strike craft or fighter.

I absolutely do NOT agree at this point.

If you mean the Gladius from Privateer then OK it was a bit weak but still not that bad.
If you mean the Gladius from Standoff then there are still lots of ships worse... (like Rapier or Hornet in Standoff... Hornet with Neutron guns is really a joke! Give her the good ol' lasers back!)

And during WC Armada I would show you how to kick ass using a Gladius... well I think in this case even my Arrow would be enough... :p :D

Mincemeat said:
You're saying in Prophecy advance you can acquire a torpedo lock on a fighter? I'd admit that would be quite funny :D
Wasn't it possible to do that in WC3?
Wonder if a decoy would work against a torpedo:D

I swear it can't be that hard to get out of the way of a torpedo. They don't go very fast do they?

Depends whether you can lose the lock or a decoy would work I suppose...but imagine the damage if it did catch up with you!
Woooooo:D

Rylex said:
If you mean the Gladius from Standoff then there are still lots of ships worse... (like Rapier or Hornet in Standoff... Hornet with Neutron guns is really a joke! Give her the good ol' lasers back!)

I hope you mean Raptor, because the Rapier has more shields, nearly equal armor, more speed, more maneuverability, and more missiles than the Gladius in Standoff.

Ijuin said:
I hope you mean Raptor, because the Rapier has more shields, nearly equal armor, more speed, more maneuverability, and more missiles than the Gladius in Standoff.
I'm pretty sure he means the Raptor cause all the ships he's talking about are from WC1.

Maveric said:
Wasn't it possible to do that in WC3?

You could launch the T-bomb, in the last winning mission set, at fighters, resulting in a big boom but at the expense of the game-winning plot device. (Though the "Finger of God" cheat used on the fault might still trigger the winning end FMV, not sure on that off the top of my head.)

The fighters I hated the most were generally anything with weak guns. The Hornet, the Ferret, and the Arrow were all terrible ships for me. With my flying style, I'm a marksman, so I like anything with good guns. Unlike some other people though I really enjoyed the Epee in WC2, it's light and manuverable, but those guns on them could carve a hole in in anything.

I just finished playing SO1, and I rather enjoyed the Crossbow, you can kill just about any ship in the game in two shots. Same thing in the Devestator in WCP, Plasma gun against a swarm of fighters, I would giggle with glee.

Of course, that's not to say I prefer bombers. Give me a good medium fighter any day, such as the Panther.

Lt.Death100 said:
I'm pretty sure he means the Raptor cause all the ships he's talking about are from WC1.

I mean Raptor vs. Rapier as opposed to Gladius vs. Rapier. The Rapier in Standoff has more of everything except armor--it has thicker shields, a narrower profile, more speed, more maneuverability, closer-spaced guns, a bigger gun capacitor, and more missiles, so I find it hard to believe that he considers the Gladius to be a superior fighter unless he prefers the greater challenge.

Ijuin said:

Sorry yes I really mean the Raptor. The Rapier is an excellent ship and even was this back in WC1 times... :D

And Lt.Death100 ... the Rapier is from WC1, too... well not the new Rapier II model but the original Rapier is from WC1 :D

In Standoff... Gladius compared to the Rapier... I think I would like the Rapier better against fighters... and the Gladius against bigger ships (carriers, cruisers...)
So far I've not yet tested the Gladius in the Standoff simulator... but the Rapier is quite good. Not as good as the Arrow of course... well but that's no ship. :)

So number 1 is still Arrow for me. :D

Noone said about the Scimitar..............I mean it was a nightmare..........now i heard a rumor that Epee wasn't good at wc2 and it is better is standoff. Actualy, this is not correct because in wc2 the rapier 2 wasn't that good as in Standoff. Epee was always perfect for dogfighting

Now the plot characters in WC1 would have you believe that Scimitars are bad... but the sucker grew on me. Think of half the missions in SM1 where you fly that thing against impossible odds ;)

While the Scimitar wasn't exactly ZOMG AWESOME!!!11!11!, it was still a pretty solid medium fighter all around, with fairly heavy shields, decent maneuverability, and a capacitor output that was fairly well supportive of the MDs.

I know game characters dump on the Scim, but these are the same folks who also insist that you must use missiles on capships, when guns will do them just fine, in WC1. :p

I don't like the scim... from my own experience. Too slow to close in and use the MDs.
I don't like the epee and the RapierG.
I don't like the hellcat.
I don't like the Vindy.
Nor the Tigercat.
BTW, there are no "bombers" as we know it today in WC games, they're all TORPEDO bombers. They are used against capital ships, not ground targets. It is a very different thing. And if you think that torpedo runs are hard in WC2, the real thing was a hell lot harder :)

The Scimitar was a decent medium fighter, just look at it on WCA, it can deliver in most situations. On WC1, it outgunned 3 out of 5 Kilrathi fighters, and could dance around the Jalthi making the Gratha the only big enemy.

And, c'mon, the Vindicator rocks.

The Bearcat. All four guns always seemed to be hitting different targets, and usually not the one you were firing at.

The Epee and Rapier from wc2. The flying matchstick (Epee) wasn't really my cup o tea, and the Rapier was just a shadow of it's former self(WC1). Before you say it, I'm aware it's a new model of the Rapier. It just doesn't feel right.

Back