Worst Fighter?

I absolutely hated the devastator. I don't especially like or dislike any previous bombers but that devastator is one sluggush piece of junk.

The nice thing about the Broadsword and the Devastator was that they had turrets on all sides, so they could shoot in all directions. The sucky thing is that the turrets really should have fired as frequently under AI control as they could under player control.

In my opinion all ships without afterburners suck... even if they have turrets on all sides.

The Arrow by the way is still one of the best fighters. Sure you need to know how to fly it... but still back in WC Armada I remember crushing all my friends with the Arrow... so the Arrow is still one of my favorite ships. As long as I got afterburner I'm sure in the game ;)

The Epee is good in WC Standoff but otherwise it sucked very bad.

Can we discuss Privateer ships as well? Well the Tarsus is still one of the worst things I've ever flown but still better than the heavy bombers without afterburners ;)

The worst fighter (not including bombers) you can fly yourself is the Dralthi in WC1 Secret missions. The pancake is total crap compared to confed fighters.
If you include Privateer, then of course the Tarsus, the way you get it at the start of the game, with one laser) is the worst, but it's not really a fighter, but a small civilian merchant ship
btw, has anyone ever tried completing Privateer with the Tarsus?

To come out of the wood work again here. Im gonna say the crossbow was the biggest mistake ever. Yes the layout is almost the same as the broadsword but one less ff missile, Two less turrents and only a tiny bit faster? I Love the challenge of all the other fighters in all wing commander games. My hat is most deffinatly off to the top man/woman in the standoff sims with that kick butt score in the broadsword and crossbow. Yeah some missions arent fair with the fighter you are given. to me that is what wc is all about. Until last year the only wc game I had yet to play was number 4, I must say I found the flying to be lacking in all areas but it still was a great game. My all time favorite fighter is the broadsword. If I recall the term fighter/bomber is applied. As in ww2. how many planes had dual roles? Excuse my typo's I got some great news tonight and Im celebrating the way good ol shotglass would have wanted me to! I do have to say that the wraith is the most unfair ship out there. I would bet if we put our top two pilots against eachother in a wraith and a vampire, the wraith would kick some tail.

My most loathed ships to fly:

WC1 - Dralthi
Ever notice the Kilrathi shield recharge rate is much slower?

WC2 - Epee
Unlike the version in Standoff, this one's easy to get hit thanks to WC2 style collision detection.

WC3 - Arrow
Steady stream of gunfire may look pretty but you'll have to expose yourself to turret danger a little too long (think Vaktoth or corvette)

WC4 - Vindicator
The Banshee has serious speed and the Avenger is tough as nails, which leaves the vindicator as the all-round mediocre missile fodder.

WCP - Shrike
While it can hold its own in a one-to-one dogfight, that kind of odds just doesn't happen. Having to wait for multiple torpedo locks is painfully slow and unnecessarily extends the length of the strike mission, compared to a Devastator.

Ijuin said:
I thought that the A-17 designation for the Broadsword was supposed to be an allusion to the B-17 bomber?

That may be, but it falls closer to the tactical bombers of WW2 in terms of missions (and A designation).

i realy didn't dislike any craft... well, maybe the hellcat v because of the slow refire rate of the guns (when linked). i always found that frustrating

I'd say the Hellcat- too slow, too underarmed, and too undershielded- it had nothing going for it. At least the Epee was fast, the Vindicator had an extensive loadout, the Bearcat was good except for it's wide firing arc, and the bombers weren't too bad if you got good with the turrets (and in the case of the devastor, the plasma gun)

Jay, some free time to post. :)

The ship I really hated flying was the Phantom from Armada. Using this piece of crap to gun Shok'lar always drove me mad. Just like fighting a Gladius in a Kor-larh.

I certainly didn't like the Broadsword (considerably less than the Crossbow but more than the Longbow) and chasing Bhurak Starkiller in a Scimitar was also a pain but overall the ship where I really cringed when I had to fly it in the series was the Shrike from WCP.

The Hellcat was boring as hell, the Bearcat seemed perfect on paper but with the gun position was quite bad.

Well, long story short: worst fighter ever: Phantom from Armada, closely followed by the Kor-larh and for the main games definately the Shrike.

I think that too.
I loved the Devastator (a few shots to the bridge and engine of any cap ship and they're gone) and I thought the Panther was pretty cool too (nice manaeuverabililty and the guns were quite powerful)
But I have to agree, the Shrike and Hellcat are pretty awful!

Actually for me all the ships in WC3 were the same in how good they are except for the Excalibur (better) and the Longbow (worse).

In WC1 = I hate missions with the rapier and scimitär, because the Raptor was so much better.

WC2= I hated the Epee here, loved the ferret and the rest, well Broadsword..ok for a bomber.

WC3 = I only liked the Thunderbolt and Excalibur, because these ships had enough gun power for me, and speed wasn't so important. I really disliked the Hellcat, no wonder confed loose the war with it as standart fighter.

WC4 = Banshee, because of the gun positions <-- Crappy craft.

Prophecy = Piranha, sucky ship, no use for it. Bearcat, same as Piranha, no speed, no guns. Wasp was ok, but i didn't like the Panther, to slow for high end fighter, gun power was a little to less, and im more of a vertical Pilot then turning left or right.

Standoff = Gladius=to slow not enough gun power, Stilleto = Suffers from wrong gun choice (MD sucks).

WC4 - Vindicator
The Banshee has serious speed and the Avenger is tough as nails, which leaves the vindicator as the all-round mediocre missile fodder.
I liked the Vindicator. You could use the Stormfire until you were out, and its main guns were pretty powerful too. I'll admit it was a bit slow, though.

Confed said:
The worst fighter (not including bombers) you can fly yourself is the Dralthi in WC1 Secret missions. The pancake is total crap compared to confed fighters.
Ah, the Dralthi Mk II. Less shields and armor than the Scimitar, but less speed than the Hornet. ^_^

Least Favorites

WC1-Hornet is absolutely horrible. Two lasers, weak shields and armour. Only saving grace is its speed.

WC2-Don't really have a least favorite here. Thought all the craft were very solid and good for the missions they were assigned to. Don't like using the Sabre on the last mission in SO 1.

WC3-Longbow. Tough as nails but turns way too slow to have any chance of hitting anything more than once or twice before they dodge out of the way. Only one turret too.

WC4-Definitely the Bearcat. Good all around except for the placement of the guns.
Prophecy/Secret Ops-Don't have any problems with any of the craft here. Just thankful for lots of missiles and counter-measures.

Worst fighter of all time: The Gladius. Like most multi-purpose craft can't do much of anything well. Horrible gun placement, slow, weak shields and armour. Definitely not my favorite for a strike craft or fighter.

I don't understand why everyone hates the epee. I loved it in the begining missions of WC2. Nothing could hit me in that fighter. In standoff I liked the arrow better though.

I never really liked the rapier. I found it too difficult to control.

Aplha 1-1 said:
I absolutely hated the devastator. I don't especially like or dislike any previous bombers but that devastator is one sluggush piece of junk.
Devastators aint half bad, a Plasma shot would really kill you in head-on attacks and that Stormfire really kicks ass, who can finish all 800 rounds, even i havent done that before. I would say the turrets would be better if they had 'em in Prophecy Advance, I really dont like the feelin of my butt naked. At least they have afterburners.

WCP - Shrike
Mincemeat said:
While it can hold its own in a one-to-one dogfight, that kind of odds just doesn't happen. Having to wait for multiple torpedo locks is painfully slow and unnecessarily extends the length of the strike mission, compared to a Devastator.
Hehehe the Shrike, one of my fav. bombers, if ur playing Prophecy Advance, just take a look at the alien's face when they see a Torpedo homing on their fighter from 10000 kliks away, nice ship.

Back