Worst Fighter?

DangerousCook

Rear Admiral
So we recently had a forum post regarding your favorite fighter, so which fighter do you like the least? It can be something you hated flying or always gave you grief/got the best of you in a dogfight. Post away!

I dislike flying any bomber in the WC series. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of all of them... But it's Wing Commander, and you just know sooner or later you're going to find yourself alone under flank fire from some capship with two or more light and very maneuverable fighters on your tail.
Of course, truth be told, most of the time the fault lies in the pilot, not the craft.
(another way of saying I suck in bombers)

Well, I liked the broadsword, the turrets compensate for the lack of manouverability.

I actually really liked the broadsword in wc2 and really enjoyed flying the thunderbolt in wc3. THe extra armor alwys more than made up for any lack of speed or manoeverability. The lack of afterburners just required a different flying technique. *Always* always take out all the fighters before ever aproaching a cap ship. And always take out the light fighters first.

For me I almost never chose to fly an arrow or wouldnd have chosen the Rapier in wc2 had I been given the choice. I always found the arrows guns to be weak and never liked flying at top speed anyway becaus I would always end up crashing into the other fighters, which with the weak armor meant death.

I'm not sur that I can think of a quintesentially terrible fighter though...

Actually for me the Arrow was almost better than the Excalibur. And yeah, the Broadsword was OK. But it sure wasn't as good as the Epee(At least to me).

At the risk of sounding like a bandwagoneer, I'd have to say the fighter I like least is the Epee. Paper mache shields, tinfoil armor, and guns that aren't really suited to a "stick and move" fighter due to their refire rate and energy draw. That there was a torpedo version developed (though IIRC not player-available in the game) is, to me, a sign that whoever was handling fighter requisitions needed to get tested for ilicit substances. :p

Wasn't a big fan of the Crossbow, though unlike the Epee I don't really hate it. Not only does the Crossbow still no AB like the Broadsword, but 2 less turrets to cover against more nimble ships, and a front gun loadout that always seemed to run out of juice just when you needed it most, given that you can't effectively chase a fleeing fighter so as to keep it in firing range (and a relatively short one, at that, with MDs and neutrons) longer.

Pretty much every other fighter has its perks, or a role in which it's well-suited, IMO.

(And then there's also the munchkin Dragon, but that's another thread entirely. :p )

I have to break from popular thinking here and say the Bearcat. True most of the bombers are awful to handle, but the Bearcat is an insult in my opinion (which is probably why the UBW had it!) Good handling, but useless sheilds and guns.
I'd take an Avenger or Longbow over it anyday!

Maveric said:
I have to break from popular thinking here and say the Bearcat. True most of the bombers are awful to handle, but the Bearcat is an insult in my opinion (which is probably why the UBW had it!) Good handling, but useless sheilds and guns.
I'd take an Avenger or Longbow over it anyday!

The UBW had Bearcats because they 'aquired' them from Confed.

The worst ship I've ever flown had to be the Epee, I hated those missions in wc2 when your flying solo in an Epee.

At the risk of sounding like a bandwagoneer, I'd have to say the fighter I like least is the Epee. Paper mache shields, tinfoil armor, and guns that aren't really suited to a "stick and move" fighter due to their refire rate and energy draw. That there was a torpedo version developed (though IIRC not player-available in the game) is, to me, a sign that whoever was handling fighter requisitions needed to get tested for ilicit substances.
For once, i'll agree with Death. I remember playing Wc2 and letting out an exasperated groan when I saw that I was flying the Epee. Besides the thin armor and unsuited weapons, the HUDs partially blocked your firld of vision. Other than that, only the Devastator managed to annoy me even more. Especially since none of your wingmen ever actually covered you.

BTW, the topic says "Worst Fighter" not bomber.

I REALLY HATE the Panther, It's been on to too many engagements and it's guns suck.

fongsaunder said:
BTW, the topic says "Worst Fighter" not bomber.

I REALLY HATE the Panther, It's been on to too many engagements and it's guns suck.
1. I'm pretty sure that they meant to include bombers.
2. The Panther was my fav from WCP.

Fighters and bombers are generally lumped under "fighter", in WC. If nothing else, less typing. :p

(WC may be "WW2 in space", but they don't really have an equivalent of WW2's B-17, B-24, or B-29, as in a strategic bombing platform, at least if looking at anything smaller than a capship.)

I thought that the A-17 designation for the Broadsword was supposed to be an allusion to the B-17 bomber?

Back