Wing commander the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Conrad
in most cases the writers are just making it up as they go along (maybe with a loose list of events to follow or rules even) perhaps a pefect continuity is a unreachable dream for the uber geeks on this planet (take star trek and its hard core fans for example).

Of course they're making it up as they go along :)

Wait, why couldn't Angel have commanded a squadron in the game?
Well on this issue, Mr. LOAF, we're not just talking about commanding a squadron, which could have been possible. But she was the Wing Commander in the movie, and I think that's a bit higher than just a squadron commander.

The main contradiction WildWeasel and I found that we cannot immediately resolve is that in WCI: SM2, she says that she's getting her first WC job on board the TCS Austin. So as of the moment it wouldn't make sense if she was already WC on the Tiger's Claw before whe was demoted, switched branches of service, and then was replaced by Col. Halcyon by WCI. [lol i'm assuming that's what we're all assuming?]

A game of chess anyone? I'm still tryin to figure out this knight thingy...

Angel isn't Wing Commander of the 'Claw -- she's commander of one of the 'Claws squadrons. That's made pretty clear in the Confed Handbook and the movie novels...

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
What? That has absolutely no context here... You haven't disproved anything. In the movie Angel was in command, and Lt. Commander... in the game she's not in command and a Captain... it's not something you prove or disprove. Obviliously if you're going to try and string them both into one cohesive story she was demoted and the ranking system was changed, but I'm still lost on how you 'proved' that? By your logic, I just proved there were differences simply by stating them...

Don't be stupid. You pointed out a "contradiction" and we showed you how it wasn't a contradiction. Whether you consider that to be disproving it or not is irrelevant. The fact remains that we still didn't ignore it.

Weasel, don't call people stupid.

As I mentioned below, the usage of the term 'Wing' and therefore the term 'Wing Commander' varies. It generally works out rather nicely as it allows the player to be Wing Commander pretty much no matter what the situation is. Although this causes confusion, it's something that's quite easily explainable. Confed appears to just enjoy switching what it calls a Wing.

Alright, I can understand that, TC.

But I still hate having to derive all these assumptions about what happened between the movie and the game. Oh well, I know that's just me.

Originally posted by TC
Weasel, don't call people stupid.

I like how you said that as if I would actually listen to you.

I didn't call him stupid. I told him not to be stupid. There were no implications behind it.

If there weren't implications, you wouldn't have said it. Either way, I don't particularly care. Drop it, and don't call people stupid.

I don't particularly *care* what your motives are. This thread was being rather productive and I don't want to close it. Just drop it, don't call people stupid and I won't give you a temp ban. I didn't think it was a big deal, I just didn't want you to call people stupid for no good reason. I'm not quite sure why you're pushing this, but I've already given you more warning than I probably should have, so this is the last post I'm making about it.

I'm just curious as to why you're telling me not to call people stupid when I haven't called anyone stupid. That honestly wasn't what I was implying. You, however, seem to be having difficulty understanding that fact.

I already explained that you damned well implied it, and gave you a chance to drop it. It's kind of pathetic that I just gave you a temp ban (even though I can't do the neat little swabbie thing) because you called someone stupid. I'd have been quite happy to have discussed it through e-mail or in #wingnut, but I'm not debating with you here about this.

That's irony for ya... if Wild really was innocent as he claims to be, he's actually been guilty of this many a time before... but I digress. It's none of my damn business.

Originally posted by Manic
It's none of my damn business.

Good call.

I like this thread and don't want to close it, but this isn't really the place to discuss this. If anyone has any problems or comments on the previous exchange I'd be more than happy to discuss them through e-mail ( TC@blacklance.org for myself or chatzone@wcnews.com for the entire Administration/Moderation staff) or via IRC in #wingnut on dalnet.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Well, like the man said...
Drawing assumptions are a pain, indeed, Gemini. Think of it like military intelligence... take the facts we do know, and try to create scenarios where they fit. That's more or less what we do here.

I am curious about what you all think about Bossman and Knight, and Maniac and Blair's relationship in the movie.

IMHO, there were simply too many discrepencies in the movie that were unnecessary. But it was still a fun ride.

CheerS!

Truthat! Not to yell out "Contradiction!" again [as one temporarily banned member said, not mentioning any names], but um... Bossman dies in SMI, Knight lives beyond all of WCI... so if TC says the movie occurs right before the game (which I can kinda believe now, um, to a certain extent)... how do we explain this then? eh? eh? eh? That's what I thought. :cool:

Oh Manic, tryin to use your analogy and integrate current US politics in it... you could say the game is like the CIA and the movie is like the FBI and they just didn't share information with each other efficiently to prevent such a catastrophic disastor! Err.. hmph... oh well. and BTW you spelled your name wrong. :)

Originally posted by =Gemini=
Truthat! Not to yell out "Contradiction!" again [as one temporarily banned member said, not mentioning any names], but um... Bossman dies in SMI, Knight lives beyond all of WCI... so if TC says the movie occurs right before the game (which I can kinda believe now, um, to a certain extent)... how do we explain this then? eh? eh? eh? That's what I thought. :cool:

Dude, don't get hung up on your own importance because you bring up discrepancy points that have been beaten to death and sent to hell, drug back out of hell, kicked repeatedly and beaten back into hell many many times over. Why get strung up over the fact that what you choose to believe is different from what others choose to believe? Why is it so important for others to believe exactly what you believe? Live your life the way you want to (translation:believe what you want to believe) and who gives a flying fuck if everyone doesn't agree with every little bit of your take on the matter (translation: you have your beliefs, I have mine, shut the hell up). Jesus, it's because there are people with this narrow-minded viewpoint that all others are wrong and theirs is the only opinion (or belief) that matters in power all over the world that makes this planet such a shit-hole to live in sometimes (including such high points in our history as the Crusades and 9/11). Grow up and join the human race (that whole little cliche about being part of the solution not the . . . well you know)!
Short question and answer:
Do you enjoy playing the WC games? Do you have opinions and biases stemming from your experiences both in your everyday life (or lack thereof) and the WC universe? Do these opinions and beliefs make you have a better gaming experience (by either adding to the gameplay or making you feel superior for noticing a discrepancy)? Great for you, I'm happy for you, but guess what . . everyone here answered yes to those questions too. SO enjoy your life and your beliefs and I'll enjoy mine and look into Sasami-chans viewpoint on the game/movie . . . "It was still a fun ride"

I relinquish the soap box now . . .

By the by, I don't remember, but is Knight refered to as Capt. Khumalo in the movie? There are a limited number of callsigns out there :)

C-ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back