Wing commander the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like the look of the tiger's claw in the cartoon... i also like the look of the midway

The design from the movie for the Tiger Claw is in my opinion the most feasable and the most logical design for a carrier in the future even though it may not follow the design from the game or cartoon.

Originally posted by pygmypiranha
The design from the movie for the Tiger Claw is in my opinion the most feasable and the most logical design for a carrier in the future even though it may not follow the design from the game or cartoon.

Wow... I'm not sure why it's the most logical... I'm definately not sure why it's the most feasable[sic].

Dang Mr. LOAF, I don't know why you are trying to prove how the movie fits in with the game fact for fact. There are way too many contradictions. First of all it's obvious that Chris Roberts worked with Forstchen on the storyline while he produced the games. The history/timeline in the manuals all refer to events created by Forstchen in the novels. And no surprise, Heart of the Tiger and The Price of Freedom try to be as close to the books as possible.

Let's look at some more obvious flaws (or implications) since you seem to be trying to argue against contradictions:

Angel was not the Tiger's Claw's Wing Commander in the game (it was Col. Halcyon) but yet she is in the movie.

And where did Rosie come from? Angel said she was one of her best pilots, and yet she never showed up in the game. It's an obvious attempt to make the movie more politically correct by putting an important black pilot into the script. Technically there is no contradiction here but still it's an obvious difference.

Needless to say, Blairs first few missions on the Tiger's Claw in the game are not the same as his first few assignments were in the movie.

And the Snakeir was NOT a super-dreadnought in WCI like the movie. True, Blair mentioned it was a "large Capital Ship", but it actually took less volleys to destroy it than a Fralthi. You could call that an error in game design, but it's easier to understand that it was just enhanced in the movie for the thrill.

If you want more contradictions that aren't as obvious, TC said he found some in the novels. Those contradictions he mentioned can be attributed to little mistakes, like forgetting the origin of Hobbes' name, but the average person can see the differences between the novels and games vs. the movie are definitely NOT mistakes. The movie was made in attempt to appeal to non-WC fans as well. That's why they altered a few things.

Originally posted by =Gemini=
Angel was not the Tiger's Claw's Wing Commander in the game (it was Col. Halcyon) but yet she is in the movie.

Is it impossible for there to have been a change in command between the movie and the game?

And where did Rosie come from? Angel said she was one of her best pilots, and yet she never showed up in the game. It's an obvious attempt to make the movie more politically correct by putting an important black pilot into the script. Technically there is no contradiction here but still it's an obvious difference.

Rosie couldn't have been in the game because she was dead.

And the Snakeir was NOT a super-dreadnought in WCI like the movie. True, Blair mentioned it was a "large Capital Ship", but it actually took less volleys to destroy it than a Fralthi. You could call that an error in game design, but it's easier to understand that it was just enhanced in the movie for the thrill.

As I recall, the ship in the movie is a completely different class than the one seen in the game. This being the case, there is no contradiction.

Originally posted by TC
Wow... I'm not sure why it's the most logical... I'm definately not sure why it's the most feasable[sic].

Compare the weapons lists and the stats of the TIGER CLAW in the movie and the TOGER CLAW in the game and perhaps you will see it through eyes unclouded Mr. TC ;)

EXCEPT THEY'RE THE SAME!

The Tiger's Claw is one of the best gunned carriers ever, apparantly. The stats in Claw Marks aren't complete, even if you only look at the game. :) If you insist, I'll go find the complete list of weapons on the Claw that LOAF and I worked out one night for one of the fan project guys...

Is it impossible for there to have been a change in command between the movie and the game?

No... it's not impossible...

Is it impossible that Blair and Marshall had a breif stint of being gay lovers between the movie and the game?

No... it's not impossible... but's it pretty stupid.

Good storytelling doesn't involve unexplainable changes in setting, giving half-assed excuses after the fact and saying; "You can't prove it didn't happen!":(

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
Good storytelling doesn't involve unexplainable changes in setting, giving half-assed excuses after the fact and saying; "You can't prove it didn't happen!"

I don't see any problems with the movie's setting. All the changes that we've seen are perfectly explainable.

I don't see any problems with the movie's setting. All the changes that we've seen are perfectly explainable.

Like; "Hey! Let's demote 'Lt. Commander' Deveraux to 'Captain'... and start using Air Force ranks!"

It's explainable... but pretty ridiculous...

I don't understand the Captain problem... The Captain died... so it's not like it was even a transfer or anything... they had to replace him.

Like; "Hey! Let's demote 'Lt. Commander' Deveraux to 'Captain'... and start using Air Force ranks!"

She disobeyed orders and endangered the lives of everyone on Earth. Her demotion was a rather light punishment.

She disobeyed orders and endangered the lives of everyone on Earth. Her demotion was a rather light punishment.

No, no, I wasn't saying that. I was trying to say that not only was she demoted, but it wasn't mentoined, and it was from Lt. Commander to Captain.... as oppsed to Lt Commander demoted to Lt. (senior Grade)

Yep, exactly my point. I'm not saying that it's impossible for this to happen... I'm only trying to emphasize that this is really not good storytelling, which makes for a bad story...

I should clarify. My problem is with the fact that these things are just changed, and there is no indication of change in the story.

Hehe, random switching of rank systems isn't something you can really complain about between the movies and the games, because it happens all over Wing Commander. I, personally, like to believe that it's just really easy to switch between the Navy and the Space Forces, and people do it every once and a while for various reasons.

Why are you making such a big deal out of it? We see changes occur in the Wing Commander universe all the time. The uniforms change between almost every game, but nobody bitches about that. Let it go.

LOL, I'm not 'bitching' ... I'm just trying to make my point clear and known.
And I would say, that to me personally, little things like cosmetic discrepancies (the uniforms, kilrathi appearance, blah blah) aren't really the same thing as important plot elements, like who's in command, and character history.

Hehe, random switching of rank systems isn't something you can really complain about between the movies and the games, because it happens all over Wing Commander.

That's like saying; "I can't really complain about that guy groping my girlfriend, he does it all the time!"

I can't really complain about that guy groping my girlfriend, he does it all the time!

If it´s true you must make something more than complain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back