Wing Commander: The Movie?

He does have teh mystique of being a fighter pilot on his side. That could explain his exwives' obliviousness.

Yes but one 22 days and the other 3 years, they must be especting to colect money after he dies but since he is a luck pilot......

Whatever Maciac's flying style/public attitude is he is still a great pilot and a war hero. I'm sure he could find someone who likes that.

TC

Not for everyone...

Plus, some people like him :( There are others of his personality type, as clearly shown in the WC Movie.

TC

If someone is going to marry him, id hope it was because of his personality, not his war record.

I think many pilots would be full of bravado and ego too,just because of what they do everyday.

Maniac isn't just lucky. He's also a very talented pilot, despite his attitude.
Someone (I wish I could remember who/were) said :
You start out with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before the luck runs out.
(or something like that :p ). If Maniac was just lucky, he'd have been dead long ago. He probably started out as someone with a lot of raw skill and luck, but by now he the experience has kicked in - even if he doesn't know it. While the manouvres he pulls would probably get someone else killed, he has the skills and experience to actually make them work.

As Blair says in Prophecy, Maniac is just good at hiding his true feelings behind his air of bravado. All he needs to do is find someone who gets along with that style (e.g. Rosie from the movie), or someone who he feels comfortable enough to let down his guard with.

Besides, having a combat pilot who is continously away on active duty would probably make any marriage last longer. :D

If you see Maniacs scores from the academy you know that he has fantastic skills and flying ability. But in a war it takes more than that, you need to work together with your wingmen to survive. Maniac isnt so great at that part and that is where his luck comes in.

Sure, anyone can die if they are unlucky. Maniac is simply skillful enough to get by when his luck fails, so there's a lot more to him then just luck.

As for getting on with his wingmen, well, not everyone has a problem with his flying style. Some of 'us' may, because naturally we want to be the hero. Match him with a defensive wingman, one who's not totally obsessed with kill scores, and he could go quite well. To tell the truth, in WC3 I found him a very useful wingman. He would charge headfirst into battle, the Cats would go for him, and I could just pick them off his tail, like any good Wingman would.

Maniac flies on instinct. He makes manouvres that are fatal for others (those rookies in wcp).

Yeah...

Remember what they said in the Price of Freedom novel?

"Confed realised it would not be very wise to give Colonelcy to a guy whose callsign described his state of mind"

or something like that (that was in the 2nd chapter, in the canteen I guess).

Maniac's a hotshot, whose skills and luck enabled him to survive through the wars. Hell, as soon as rookies try out his moves (cf Catscratch), they always end up in trouble.

Maniac's flying style is unique to him, and should stay so! :)

Maniac was always lucky but as he grows older through the games we see him mature in his attatudes, if you notice in WCIV he is much more like the crazy uncle of the game than the crazy cousin, he is nuts but has the experience and abilities to not be too big an A**hole

I don't know if anybody said this already (I don't feel like scrolling backwards through posts with my horrible connection speed-change the thread order please), but the reason Paladin had a French accent was because he was being played by a French actor (Tcheky Karyo (sp?)) Also, I was disgusted by the Rapier design (what the hell were they thinking with that gun???) I don't understand why Chris Roberts didn't stick to the game that HE designed for pretty much all aspects of the movie. Even if the plot remained bad, at least us WC fans would have had something that expanded, not contradicted the WC universe. And, we would have been able to say, "Well, at least that was pretty cool.", and not only be talking about the small screen time of the special effects. (which I thought was the only thing I really got out of the movie other than wondering what Chris Roberts was thinking)

Originally posted by Magnum
...I was disgusted by the Rapier design (what the hell were they thinking with that gun???). I don't understand why Chris Roberts didn't stick to the game that HE designed for pretty much all aspects of the movie...

Sadly, most probably because of financing limitations.
Those Rapiers and Dralthis from the movie were probably cheaper to produce that the original, larger winged ones...
:(

With more money, I'm sure Chris Roberts would have made a more than decent movie, perhaps even to the quality extent of Hollywood blockbusters...

Back