Wing Commander: The Movie?

mpanty

Keen Commander
This thread has been probably already been brought up previously, but since I'm new here, I'd really like to ask the opinion of some WC fans...

How, just HOW, do we have to take the movie? (apart from saying that it really SUCKED

I mean, there are SO MANY contradictions with the games and the Wing Commander universe (which were done for production reasons, granted, but still...)

Among the "few":

-Paladin's not a Scot, he's got a French accent...

-Rapiers and Dralthis?? Well, a totally new kind for sure!
I'm not so sure, but does the Rapier have some sort of laser chaingun (????) as weapons?

-When Blair and Maniac come aboard the Tiger's Claw, Bossman's already dead, and we know he dies only later, during the Secret Missions.

-WHO exactly is this girl Maniac falls for?? The whole fun of WC III and IV, was that "Maniac moves" never really worked on girls...

-WOW! Blair and Angel didn't wait too long to get acquainted...;) I mean, in the games, it took another episode to see their first kiss (WC II)

-Hey, it sounds like the threat to Terra by the Kilrathi fleet of WC III, has been "advanced" by some "couple" of years, they attack right away!

-Fighters and Cruisers seem to have "forgotten" they actually have SHIELDS... one shot and they blow!

Hey, these are only the start! If someone wants to add something...

So my question is: how do we have to take the movie? (apart from saying that it really SUCKED, in my opinion... probably because of lack of financing)

I just love the shaved cats, next time that they call me a "Hairless ape" I will call then "Hairless cat".
That was the worst cats that could have been used....

Just a few things, the Rapiers were firing neutron guns, there have been several Kilrathi fleets that have attacked Earth directly remember the Battle of Terra right before WC3, and i think Maniac got less lucky the older he got.

As for differences, I dont remeber Maniac and Blair ever being that chummy.

Originally posted by Dragon
I just love the shaved cats, next time that they call me a "Hairless ape" I will call then "Hairless cat".
That was the worst cats that could have been used....

Yup, one of the many parts I hated about the movie! The game cats were so better!

Sdly, I'd have to say that the movie scenes from WC IV: The Price of Freedom were actually better than the whole Wing Commander movie :(
Acting was just better, and actors just felt right, you know what I mean?

I liked the WC3 Kilrathi better than any other.

If you werent as into the games as we are, im sure you would have had no problem accepting the actors in the movie.

As for differences, I dont remeber Maniac and Blair ever being that chummy.

Watch Wing Commander Academy.

-Paladin's not a Scot, he's got a French accent...

I think we've already pointed out fairly recently that Paladin has no accent whatsoever -- both Scottish and French were fake. (WCIV novel).

-Rapiers and Dralthis?? Well, a totally new kind for sure!

Yes... the Dralthi are the Dralthi III -- the Rapiers are the older CF-117b variant... the one seen in WC1 is the F-44 Rapier II.

I'm not so sure, but does the Rapier have some sort of laser chaingun (????) as weapons?

That's a neutron gun.

-When Blair and Maniac come aboard the Tiger's Claw, Bossman's already dead, and we know he dies only later, during the Secret Missions.

Perhaps he was captured and later recovered (G)?

-WHO exactly is this girl Maniac falls for?? The whole fun of WC III and IV, was that "Maniac moves" never really worked on girls...

That was Rosie. According to the Prophecy guide, Maniac has been married twice...

-WOW! Blair and Angel didn't wait too long to get acquainted... I mean, in the games, it took another episode to see their first kiss (WC II)

I don't think WC2 ever stated that that was their first kiss (G)

-Hey, it sounds like the threat to Terra by the Kilrathi fleet of WC III, has been "advanced" by some "couple" of years, they attack right away!

The Kilrathi attack earth in the movie and in Fleet Action.

-Fighters and Cruisers seem to have "forgotten" they actually have SHIELDS... one shot and they blow!

You'll find this in any cut-scene -- taking minutes to destroy a ship is important in a game, but rather boring to an audience.

Originally posted by Supdon3
I liked the WC3 Kilrathi better than any other.

If you weren't as into the games as we are, im sure you would have had no problem accepting the actors in the movie.

Yeah, I guess you have a point. Which brings me to my final sad :( comment about the movie: it was made for general public, not for the fans...

Obsviously, a movie "just for the fans" wouldn't have sold much, but how about a movie where you get STRAIGHT into the universe, with no need for introductory scenes. Just like in Blade Runner. I mean, there aren't any scenes showing us how the first Replicants were made or so, we get a text screen, introducing the situation...
And look how Blade Runner was an awesome movie!!!

I said that a movie "just for the fans" wouldn't have sold much, but hell!! Wing Commander was crap, and was a total failure anyway, so why not make a good movie out of it???

Originally posted by mpanty
I mean, there are SO MANY contradictions with the games and the Wing Commander universe (which were done for production reasons, granted, but still...)
Please... most of those contradictions are meaningless little things, and you're nitpicking for no reason.

Paladin is Scottish in the movie, the Rapier is a different kind, the Dralthis change all the time in the games so I don't see your point with that one, Maniac was married once or twice so his moves do work, and one kiss between Blair and Angel doesn't really mean anything.

****-Hey, it sounds like the threat to Terra by the Kilrathi fleet of WC III, has been "advanced" by some "couple" of years, they attack right away!****

And who said that there was no attack before the BOT?

****-Fighters and Cruisers seem to have "forgotten" they actually have SHIELDS... one shot and they blow!****

Yeah, one or two TORPEDO blows....

****Sdly, I'd have to say that the movie scenes from WC IV: The Price of Freedom were actually better than the whole Wing Commander movie****

Wow, aren't we exagerating? How can you compare a game to a full length movie?

****Acting was just better, ****

The acting in WC4 was great, for a computer game...

They werent chummy in Wing Commander Academy. They werent enemies but i got more of the game style relationship between them than the movie.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

I think we've already pointed out fairly recently that Paladin has no accent whatsoever -- both Scottish and French were fake. (WCIV novel)

Hey come on now!! We've been introduced to Paladin in WC I, he's the first guy sitting at the bar, together with Anegl. What's more, in the Claw Marks guide, it says he was raised as a Scotsman, or that his family's Scottish or something...

Perhaps he was captured and later recovered?

Nope, for me that's just being picky, and trying to find an explanation at all costs. :)

-According to the Prophecy guide, Maniac has been married twice...

WAAAAAAAAH!! I'm sorry Bandit, but Maniac getting married is just the funniest thing I have ever heard... :D
(hey, you're the expert, if you say it's in the guide I believe you, but WAAAAAAAAAH...)

-WOW! Blair and Angel didn't wait too long to get acquainted... I mean, in the games, it took another episode to see their first kiss (WC II)

I don't think WC2 ever stated that that was their first kiss

Alright alright... you got me there...

You'll find this in any cut-scene -- taking minutes to destroy a ship is important in a game, but rather boring to an audience

Yeah, I thought of that, sadly it's a necessity in a movie...

Okay Bandit, thanx for commenting my points, but how about you give us your general opinion about the movie, I'd like to hear it...

[Edited by mpanty on 02-24-2001 at 01:10]

Maniac and Blair have always been described as friends who are extremely competetive... we see this in the movie (Maniac introduces Blair as "the second best pilot on this hunk of junk" and so forth), in WCA and in the games (and books!). The only place where they're outright antagonistic to eachother is in WC3 -- and even then they're still old friends.

We know that Maniac and Blair were friends in the Academy who were always competing with eachother. We know that they really didn't hate eachother untill WC3, when the stress and pressure of fighting a desperate battle could have easily thrown them against eachother. And than we see the two in WC4, getting more love and respect from eachother.:)

And if anyone else posts that Maniac and Blair hated eachother since the very beggining of WC1, I'm going to seriously hurt them.:p

****Originally posted by mpanty
What's more, in the Claw Marks guide, it says he was raised as a Scotsman, or that his family's Scottish or something...****

He is Scottish, but both his Scottish and French accents aren't real.

****Nope, for me that's just being picky, and trying to find an explanation at all costs. ****

No, you're the one being picky, coming up with meaningless little things.

[Edited by Earthworm on 02-24-2001 at 01:14]

Well i certainly like the idea of them being friends better, but it did seem like they almost came to blows in the first episode of WC Academy, you know, where Maniac knocks Blair's can of pop out of his hand, but Tolwyn walks into the room before anything can happen (though i doubt Blair would have actually punched him)

Now i feel really bad for letting Decker... well deck Maniac in WC4

I just suprised that they were two Mrs. Todd Marshal.
What they did to offend God.(or how much did they drink?)

22 days!!! she sould get a medal.
3 years!!! was she in a coma or something?

[Edited by Dragon on 02-24-2001 at 01:28]

Originally posted by Dragon
22 days!!! she sould get a medal.
3 years!!! was she in a coma or something?

LOL Dragon...

See Bandit? Even if they put it in the Prophecy manual, it just doesn't SEEM real that Maniac got married... ;)

[Edited by mpanty on 02-24-2001 at 01:27]

Back