What WC4 needed

The Sosa romance wasn't the only thing I mentioned. Vagabond manages to miss his meeting with the maker in the novel, as well, iirc (he and Catscratch never desert, as I recall), and this was another point I mentioned in my post. And as I recollect, there are some fairly strong hints in the novel that a relationship of sorts is budding between Sosa and Blair (I admit I could be wrong, though. Its been quite a while since I read it.).

And yes, I know you can skip the conversation in the elevator with Flint, and since its the conversation itself that pulls Flint off the flight list, that's what keeps her from going to Kilrah.
However, seeing that the game seems to be designed with the conversation in mind, I would hardly cry foul if a WC6 set after WC3 were to have an appearance by everyone's favorite (actually, the only?) blond female pilot.

The author ignores the game plot elements that he feels are inconvenient for what he wants, and replaces them with something entirely different. True, he still has the basic framework of the story, but the details are different. Its no longer the game history (which is what I would call the 'official' history), but rather his own story that shares some elements but is not exactly the same thing. Some details from the novels, such as what Bear is up to after SO1, I have no problem with. They don't conflict with the games at all. But when there is an apparent clash with the novels (and the WC3 and the WC4 novels are both full of conflicts with the corresponding games), I'm inclined to completely ignore the specific novels that clash. Certain parts of them I may accept (there's no reason to not use 'Maverick' as Blair's call sign, for example), but changing parts that are clearly stated/shown in the game makes it an entirely different story, and puts it in an alternate continuity from the 'official' history.

Ehh, not seeing Vagabond's defection and Vagabond not defecting are two different things -- the novel picks the 'second' chance to defect for Blair... and it doesn't follow Vagabond at all. You don't see him die in the game if you pick the second defection, either.

Vagabond still defects on-screen in the game, though (he makes the decision to follow Eisen before you do, and is used as the prompt to determine what you're going to do - I've always assumed his death on the defection side was to cover the fact that you shot him down if you didn't defect, although I could be wrong since I didn't get a chance to go through this mission twice).
afaik, in the novel, Vagabond is still on the Lexington up through the point where it is finally removed from the story (as is Catscratch, who never defects in the novel).

SPOILER WITHIN....

In the game, if you choose to wait to defect, Vagabond's death is strongly hinted at. After one of your missions, you talk with Paulsen, who claims that another one of the disloyal defectors was shot down. Blair questions him as to which one, and Paulsen asks "Does it really matter?" (or something to that effect).

I've always taken that scene to be alluding to Vagabond's death, the alternative to the MIP mission on which he dies if you defect at first chance.

Originally posted by junior
...I would hardly cry foul if a WC6 set after WC3 were to have an appearance by everyone's favorite (actually, the only?) blond female pilot.
Who would that be? Flint is a redhead.... ;)

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix

Who would that be? Flint is a redhead.... ;)

She is?

DOH!

Guess I'd better go replay WC3 again as penance for my greiveous error.
:p

I guess that means there haven't been ANY blond female pilots in any of the WC games (Except maybe Minx, who I never saw. What color was her hair?).

*L* No LeHah, Rachel is Blonde. :)

In WCIV (the game), if you don't choose to defect the first time, Vagabond will fight you. You shoot him down, and land at the Lexington. Then, if you defect the second chance, Sosa bitches you out for killing Vagabond, IIRC.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
*L* No LeHah, Rachel is Blonde.
Indeed. VERY blonde. :)

In WCIV (the game), if you don't choose to defect the first time, Vagabond will fight you. You shoot him down, and land at the Lexington. Then, if you defect the second chance, Sosa bitches you out for killing Vagabond, IIRC.
Hmm...though I've shot him down, I always thought he ejected. Least it looked like it. I don't recall Sosa saying anything about shooting Vagabond down....

It always disturbs me when we get into conversations about the best looking WC chick (none of 'em are that great, if you ask me), especially when people start bringing up animated characters.

:)

I remember Blair asking Eisen on the Intrepid about Vagabond after you defect at the second oppotunity and he say's that Vagabond did'nt make it.

Originally posted by Dralthi5
It always disturbs me when we get into conversations about the best looking WC chick (none of 'em are that great, if you ask me), especially when people start bringing up animated characters.

:)

Well, seeing as Flint and Sosa are just as fictional as Minx or Shadow, the animated characters are no less real than the live action ones. :D

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Ehhhh...Rachel a redhead? Are you colorblind, by chance? Rachel is most definitely a blonde, no question about it.

Hee hee hee...

I was talking about WC3, you dolt! :p

Besides, Panther and Stiletto tie for hottest WC chick. :p

I don't know...Stilleto seems to be the kind of girl who likes tight leather and riding crops to me!

Back