Votes: 5 8.8%
  • To stay the way it is now

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • To slowly disappear

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • It is doomed!

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
I've been saying the same thing. If they ever release another game, it HAS to have a multiplayer fuction. And a good one at that.

We want a multiplayer WC game.... it's what we all would like to have..... why won't Origin make that?

Because there's *no* reason to think it will make money. Every space sim with multiplayer components has bombed badly -- with under twenty thousand copies sold of the last four titles released (including StarLancer, by Chris Roberts and Freespace 2, a sequal to a popular franchise), Origin is *not* interested in testing what appears to be very poisonous water.

I've spoken to many of this communities members, I am yet to speak to a single person who did not want a multiplayer WC game featuring the Kilrathi.

This is an utterly rediculous comment. "In a survey of people who like Wing Commander, the poll shows that 100% of them are in favor of another Wing Commander game!" Brilliant! We *never* could have figured *that* out. The general population, however, does not seem particularly warm to the idea of a new space sim -- nor do the people who have to fit the bill. Perhaps if each of the community members you spoke to would be willing to donate a million dollars...

now how much of a market is there for ultima? a firly large one granted, but WC3 sold MILLIONS of copies alone.

WC3 sold a million copies across four platforms. This is good information to point out... if you're in 1995 and trying to argue that they should make a Wing Commander 4. Of course, they did make a WC4 and they got burned on it -- you can't make $14 million back selling a computer game. Prophecy was better, but it didn't hit the magic million units mark.

All that it needs is an online game, with a decent storyline, and modern graphics.

And a pony.

Privateer went beyond it's designers wildest dreams.

No, it didn't. Privateer was an amazing game, but it didn't sell very well. This is why the straight sequal never got very serious consideration.

I believe that a WC online game COULD if made properly turn around the gaming industry an bring space flight sims back into the spotlight, it wouldn't be easy but I think that it would be possible.

It's possible, but Origin *isn't* willing to spend ten million dollars to test your theory.

so When I sais Origin needed WC online, I meant that without a new WC game Origin will be missing out on a HUGE slice of the online market. I know at least 10 people who'd pay up front for a new WC game, but only if it had Multiplayer support.

Apparently these are the *same* ten people who actually pay for Jumpgate. The actual evidence is *not good* when it comes to multiplayer space sims.

It's doesn't need to be a sim. Why can't it be like Homeworld, Conquest: Foniter Wars or ST: Armada? Homeworld sold and Conquest seems to be doing all right.

I don't believe Conquest has done all that well.

But regardless, *why* should EA risk creating a 'Wing Commander' sim game, when they have the perfectly valid Command and Conquer license? And a perfectly functional company that already mantains a team capable of producing such a game -- whereas developing a game like that in AUstin would require they hire an entirely new team.

It's a shame for us fans, but the question you have to ask when dreaming about a new Wing Commander game is "why?", *not* "why not?".

Why?
1. Because we want it!
2. Because if done right (and innovative enough, which means it must be more than the 7th copy of the WC concept) it can revive not only Wing Commander but also the Space Sim genre, meaning more WC games and more profits on the long term.
3. Well... Just because!
Why not?
1. Because EA hasn't got the freakin' nerve to do anything that isn't a surefire profit.

Am I dreaming?
Yes, but it's better than laying awake at night.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Why?
1. Because we want it!
3. Well... Just because!
Well that's really just not good enough.
Why not?
1. Because EA hasn't got the freakin' nerve to do anything that isn't a surefire profit.
Well that's called good business. Besides, they do have the nerve to waste money. Look at that Harry Potter business, that will never pay off. Ever.
Yes, but it's better than laying awake at night.
I don't dream, and yet I sleep rather well, knowing what I do.

I... WAS... NOT... BEING... SERIOUS!
But I agree the Harry Potter thing is wasted money. The books are great, but I just don't see it work as a computer game (or as a movie for that matter).

And coincidentally, I have been suffering massive insomnia and exhaustion lately, so believe me, dreaming is better than laying awake, even if you do indeed sleep better when you don't dream (or at least don't remember it).

Originally posted by Excalibur
I've been saying the same thing. If they ever release another game, it HAS to have a multiplayer fuction. And a good one at that.
It has to, does it? Funny, the thing about WC which has always stood out is its incredibly immersive single-player plot. Sure, if you have a bunch of friends willing to duke it out with you and the resources to connect to other players, then go ahead and scream all you like for a multiplayer component. But WC for me has always been a single-player experience, and yes I know Armada has a multi-player capacity, but I don't find my brother to be much in the way of fair competition. :)

*L* No sleep for dreaming, say the architects of life.

I think WC will only be good if Chris Roberts is given the opportunity to direct it, like the quote given by him on the homepage. It says that he still loves Wing Commander as we do, and I'm sure that the only way people will love the new game is for the big man himself to head it up.

I do have to say that if he does, I don't want him to have that 'traitor' storyline in it, because it is VERY overused throughout the WC games...

So did I. I LOVE WCP. I just think that CR's progeny has been sleeping too long, and having a bunch of people just picking it up and trying to market it would be more empty in a way than if Chris Roberts were to take it up.

i agree that having chris roberts on a new wing commander game would definately increase it chances for success. i think he always tries to break new ground and such an approach is what is needed to revitalize the space-sim genre, create new interest, and thus make money. they may not NEED him but perhaps someone with his sort of approach - to do something that hasnt been done before.

i used to always hope that when chris roberts was with digital anvil that he would one day buy the license off origin and create a new wing commander game. but i agree with what LOAF was saying... its not looking good that origin would hire new people for a space-sim.... thats why i think a new game would only be made if the license was bought by another company who already had such staff.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
...I don't want him to have that 'traitor' storyline in it, because it is VERY overused throughout the WC games...
I fail to recall there being any traitors in WCP or SO. ;) Admittedly, there's not much for people to defect to, I don't think the Nephilim have any interest in co-operating with the "non-aligned".

Wing Commander was certainly a collaborative effort -- the chance creation of a whole group of brilliant people... StarLancer proved that just putting Chris Roberts in a box isn't anything special. The great Wing Commander games were the results of very, very experienced teams of people. (Look at all the great designers and writers who got their start doing Wing Commander... Warren Spector, Erin Roberts, Ellen Guon, Aaron Allston, Paul Steed... and on and on.)

He's seven years younger, not to mention that he's not very co-ordinated. He did manage to blast me to scrap when I was in a light fighter once, though.

I owned/played the games in this order: WC2, WC1, WCP, WC3, WC4. So I thoroughly enjoyed WCP, even if it doesn't seem as good as WC3/4 [in terms of the storyline].

Back