WCPedia: The 2011-2012 Thread

For references....we are going to start adding those reference sections to every article. We can source when a certain thing appears, what is said about it, what is done with it, etc.

Basically everything in WCPedia will have such an area that needs to be researched and built.

LOAF has been picking away at Nephilim fighters this week. Looking pretty good so far...

We are working on an improved (and hopefully final!) layout for Ship articles. It should be a vast improvement over what we've had in there.

Expect to see a lot of activity in the coming weeks. We are planning a big end of year push so be sure to watch the recent changes on the front page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Work continues on converting ship articles. LOAF did a great job with WCP ships already. We've moved towards a more complete article now. Each ship article is going to be CIC Green on steroids, HGH, and whatever crazy growth shit they have now. You'll Conversational References, Mission Appearances, Novel References, Guide References, and every document we have with references to that ship. They are going to be insanely great.

A big thanks to LOAF, BobMcDob, and NomadTerror for helping out on the conversions so far. We really are putting together some pretty amazing things on the project. Granted we keeping redesigning things, this time I think we've got more of what the final layouts will look like.

Volunteers are always welcome! Stop by #wingnut and we'll let you know how to help.

I know I don't personally do enough to help these guys out, a situation I hope to resolve soon, but anyone out there with the means and motive to contribute (should be every one of you cat killers out there) should do so! I can not even begin to speak to the absolutely amazing scope of this project and the phenomenal amount of data already entered.

Get on this bandwagon, folks.. it's for the good of all mankind.

Time to give this thread an update...

We continue to try and find the best layout for the new Ships articles. We are trying a new approach to see if we can find something we like.

Currently, we are working on gathering every reference related to the F-44 Rapier II on the ship's talk page. I've worked through the WC1 materials, the game itself, and the WC1 section of the Ultimate Strategy Guide. We've still got quite a few more sources to comb and any help would be appreciated. It's just a matter of searching the sources for references then just copy and pasting them in.

The Fall was a little slow for the project because of outside obligations but we are planning a bit of a New Year's push to upgrade existing articles and complete a product or two.

I've just added the majority of the Star*Soldier stuff for the Rapier II. Wasn't sure whether to include the 'Best of the Best' references, but I can add them in quick enough, really.

It's probably a good idea to have that in there as well. Just for having the list of users.

Nice work!

Like I said last night, looks great!

You can actually put it on the real Broadsword page too. No need to have it on the Talk page anymore.

I'll be in #wingnut tonight so we can keep working on Ships.

Rapier I is definitely near finished. Just appearance info from the movie (however we are going to do that, by movie chapter perhaps?) and a history overview. Stiletto is basically in the same shape with it lacking Privateer appearance and an overview.

Also, the Broadsword page is really coming along. I've pretty much gotten most of the manuals text done along with the appearances from WC2. Just novels and briefer game appearances left. Beyond that would be improvements to the history overview.

www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/CF-117_Rapier
www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/A-17_Broadsword
www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/F-71_Stiletto

Pity we can't post fan images for some of these craft on the main pages....although, I could probably take some pics of the WC2 original models displayed in the FC engine for higher-res pics.

Pity we can't post fan images for some of these craft on the main pages....although, I could probably take some pics of the WC2 original models displayed in the FC engine for higher-res pics.

No, only use real WC images. No fan models, images, engines, etc.

Okay, the hornet page is almost finished. Just need to combine the spec tables, get an image of the SWC Hornet, and somebody else might want to tweak/tinker/improve the history overview.

I think a "References" header should be added before all the references. It can read a bit confusing jumping down without it.

Here's a question: should go before or after the stat tables? I'm kind of partial to after since the stats are what people are going to want to go to first.

Might we want to think about making the Reference sections collapsible too?

Don't worry about the History flavor text. We can start gathering the data for those soon and then write new ones.

These look really great too! Awesome job!

I think we need a plugin to do collapsible elements. One doesn't appear to be installed at present.

I don't, however, think that collapsible elements are needed for the majority of cases. Only ones that have especially long references from a novel such as the Rapier II.

Also how do we want to handle movie appearances? Do it by movie chapter perhaps or reference dialog?

I think we need a plugin to do collapsible elements. One doesn't appear to be installed at present.

What kind of collapsible elements are we talking? I included a hidden/expandable segments on the movie landing page. The the poster gallery on the right for example uses the "toggledisplay" function as is set to default to hidden so that you click the link and show the gallery. I think I had another on the page at one point but I moved the content of that one to a separate page.

Okay, I'm scratch what I said about the Rapier 2 page, I forgot that it is practically the second most common fighter in all of Wing commander (next to the Dralthi). Once I get the WC1 stuff finished for it. I'm moving onto the WC2 Confed ships.

Regarding the Collapsible stuff. I have applied what you mentioned from the Movie page to the Wing Commander Conversations on the Hornet page. Let me know what you think.

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/F-36_Hornet#Wing_Commander_Conversations

If you think it looks good, I'll start applying to all text references.

I'm not sure whether this is really an error or just something I don't understand about the currency:
Does the Hornet really cost 250 million credits? Then it would be really, really expensive. If this is indeed canon which source mentions that?

No that's an error. ;) (The only cost numbers I remember for fighters/ships comes from the Tolwyn-Jamison argument in Fleet Action) It's actually hold over from when we were experimenting with the infoboxes last year if I'm remembering correctly. The Hornet was the test page for the different infobox features. Looks like we forgot to remove that. It's taken care of now.

Back