WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

i think a few people are a little concerned with the single player aspect not being available. can i get a general feed back on this? can someone start a poll to see how many would prefer a SP campaign also, as opposed to just Skirmish modes? right now im finally playing the mod myself for the first time as a game, and i can tell you skirmish mode is actually fun. i realise alot of ships arent in yet and i still want to do alot more to make to combat more engaging but i dont think people should be discouraged by the lack of SP. anyways, a poll would help i think. how do i start one?

I'd be happy to play just the skirmish mode, I'd appreciate whatever you can come out with. Of course a SP mode would be additional fun. You're doing such a great job, I'm really impressed with the pictures of the ships you've made!

Will the ships perform similar to Wing Commander ships, or will they have the same stats as the HW2 ships? Will you have gun and missile turrets/platforms? There were alot of gun turrets in WC4- especially around bases. Which ships will lay mines- Longbows/Avengers? It seems like you could make the jamming frigate from WC4 by altering a frigate and putting it in the place of the Hig. defense field frigate.

czacen - do you know of any HW mods that changed the FX, music or voices in the game?

well Mjr. Whoopass, u kinda ruined the suprise i had in store for everyone ;). i was planning to do exactly both the things you suggested. the jamming frigate was to be made for black lance, and the turrets are already done. there are two types - same model though (different texture) anti-fighter turret and anti-capship turret. the AC turrets cant kill a big capship but will sure be worth their weight in gold agains frigates and utility ships. also as per your question abt the stats, all stats are being made as per WC universe, the HW2 stats are just downright weird when you actually start to study them - but i guess thats what game balancing is all abt. spent most of today testing and rigging the weapons on the confed fighters. so far missiles are done (with graphics matching the WC universe) and the various types are IFFs, Javelins, Imrecs and Torpedos. Minelaying is a feature going to be added to longbows and avengers in addition to their primary role as bombers.

LeHah, i think the best mod for you to check out is the Star Wars Warlords mod for HW2. you think i'm fast at modding, those guys have made a mod with some 150 or so ships in just a year. i know a year sounds long but 150 ships is alot!! plus all new interface and sounds and everything. May i ask why you'd be looking for mod like so? btw did you mean hw or hw2?

ps, can anyone tell me how to add an avatar to my profile? i managed to upload a profile picture but can't figure out the avatar menu. no option to add. thanks in advance.

*finally decides to register and quit lurking*

Hi there czacen. Great mod you've got going here. I'm really looking forward to when you release a playable version of it. I remember back in the days when the original HW WC mod was going strong, and IIRC I even helped out a bit with it back then.

Then, when HW2 came about, I originally tried mucking about with it, getting WC models ingame, though that plan fell to the ground with my unability to get the mod tools working properly. I almost succeeded making the Hiigaran bomber into an analog of the Wasp fighter though before I finally lost interest in the modding process.

And now that I've found that you've got a WC mod going, and doing such a great job of it (and fast too :eek: ), things just couldn't get any better.

I'm looking forward to when you get around to getting the Kilrathi ingame. :D (and when you release a playable version, of course)

*edit* as for the Avatar pic, that's a completely separate function from the profile picture. The profile picture is seen when people look at your profile, while the avatar is posted under your name. I'm guessing you need a higher number of posts before you get the ability to have an avatar. (4-500 posts probably)

*edit* as for the Avatar pic, that's a completely separate function from the profile picture. The profile picture is seen when people look at your profile, while the avatar is posted under your name. I'm guessing you need a higher number of posts before you get the ability to have an avatar. (4-500 posts probably)
For an avatar you either need to contibute something big to the community (Like making this mod rock for example ;)) or have 2,000 posts.

czacen said:
LeHah, i think the best mod for you to check out is the Star Wars Warlords mod for HW2. you think i'm fast at modding, those guys have made a mod with some 150 or so ships in just a year. i know a year sounds long but 150 ships is alot!! plus all new interface and sounds and everything. May i ask why you'd be looking for mod like so? btw did you mean hw or hw2?

Just playing devil's advocate is all. Ill have to check out that mod you mentioned!

czacen said:
can anyone tell me how to add an avatar to my profile? i managed to upload a profile picture but can't figure out the avatar menu. no option to add. thanks in advance.

From the FAQ: Custom ranks: People with 2,000 posts or more may choose a graphic and rank. People who have contributed a lot to the community over time are sometimes awarded a rank and graphic. Neither is to be confused with the rank of Moderator or Administrator.

So, just keep doing what you're doing. You've already impressed the hell out of a lot of people here.

Iceman16 said:
theres a WC mod for HW? where can I get it from?

btw awesome looking mod, I need to get HW2 l.o.l.
Well the mod is incomplete. Models of WC1/2 ships lack textures and the research tree isn't changed at all. But this new mod is shaping up much quicker than that.

Your progress is incredible. I guess this being similiar to your day job may have something to do with that ;-)

I wouldn't worry about an SP campaign as much as getting the gameplay balance right first. Then the campaign should be relatively trivial to build.

a few minor setbacks with the weapons today. was waiting to test the missiles in game but it turns out the process isnt so easy nor is there any direct help anywhere. right now going to have to put that on hold till i get some feedback from the relic mod guys. hopefully it wont be too long. the fighters still shoot missiles though, except they dont look like WC missiles just yet :(. thanks to all who answered abt the avatar thingie. guess ill just have to wait and earn it like everyone else :).

sorry no screenshots tonight. well maybe just a spoiler of something i wanted to keep hush for a little while. they are going to be in the game though i havent figured out how as yet. :p enjoy!

quick update. missiles are working fine. except for a small fx adjustments everything is going on que.

Ah, the good old Dralthi. :D

Good luck on the missiles. I got stumped myself when I tried making some WC style missiles back when HW2 modding was in its infancy. I just couldn't make the game recognise my changes for some reason. That's what made me stop trying in the end...

As for where to use them ingame: How about implementing some sort of neutral asteroid base, which can be put in missions / skirmish maps and then captured by your marines, enabling you to call upon Kilrathi allies (build Dralthis)?

I don't know that seems like they're taking over a kilrathi base and using the starships. I can't think of an alternative though.:(

I've never seen so much interest in something like this, and I think that's awesome!

The MANIAC

my.php

Perhaps the coolest screen pic I have seen all year! Kudos!

well my initial plan was to do something like TonViper was saying yet the game doesnt currently support a third part spawning point for neutral races. this may be possible in SP but can't see a direct route for MP. ill have to think of something else.

the last BW fighter rolls out of production today and here are the images:

on another note, im starting to sense a little bit of scepticism from a few PM's as to what models and textures i have used for this game. my workflow is as follows, i build entirely fresh models in softimage XSI of the fighter/ship and export it to Alias Maya. there i build the various level of detail (LOD) models for the same ship as per requirement by the HW2 engine and then proceed to texturing. Texturing is done in photoshop, and textures are redone versions (as per HW2 requirements) of the original WC4 game textures and on the bigger ships even involved entire redraw of textures from scratch. then i rig the aircraft to the layout HW2 requires and lay engine mounts and weapon mounts in Maya. then send the files to the game engine for testing. These models and textures are not from WCU or anywhere else. i would not be able to circulate a mod like this if the work wasn't my own purely because it isnt legal or ethical. the reason it working at such a fast pace is because this is exactly like my day job, and i have become very very in tune to the HW2 engine pipeline. hope this clears up any future questions on the topic. if the rate at which i post updates is causing people to doubt what they see then please let me know and i will post updates less often, but the mod will definitely progress at this same speed whether or not this happens.

If people have questions like that, they should post them out in the open so you can address them in the open. The project's looking great. Nobody wants less updates, but everyone usually likes it when fan project teams go into details of how they achieved what they have.

on another note, im starting to sense a little bit of scepticism from a few PM's as to what models and textures i have used for this game.

Ignore that -- the actual community is better than this.

Origin designed *all* these ships, Saga team.

Back