WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

hi all,
sorry to all for my rather touchy post yesterday. Hope i didnt scare away any of the followers of the this thread/mod. today i have been working on the fx for missiles in game, specifically the engine trails. i left this out for the fighters because they looked more like the WC fighters that way, but missiles look dead without their trails and are quite small to differentiate in the midst of a huge battle without their trails. 2 people have been kind enough to offer their assistance to me from the HW2 community and i am eagerly awaiting their responce. rest assured everyone here will be the first to know of success on this next task. also a request from me for screen-grabs (or a list of) the colours associated with each fighter/ capship weapon. just need a rough look at the shape and colour of the beams. believe it or not my copy of WC4 has bitten the dust and no longer playable or i would have checked for myself :(. once again i apologise for the gruf post yesterday. thanks to all in advance.
- aaron

once again i apologise for the gruf post yesterday

Think nothing of it. You were good to call people out in the open by saying you were getting PMd by jerks.

I for one cannot wait to get my greedy hands on this mod. I picked up playing HW2 once again simply because of this project! I wish I had the know-how to help in this but alas I do not.

czacen, you are doing an outstanding, awesome job. Rest assure that all nice WC fans support you all the way.

congratulation of the accomplishments, and keep it up! :)

thanks for the kind words and support. ive been trying to sort out this engine trail problem but it seems to be a blockhead at the moment. no screenshots today just some images i sent the guys helping me from the HW2 mod forums to try and diagnose where things are going wrong. dunno if anyone would find them interesting but here they are. btw dont worry the arrow engines are not going to be changed to what you see in the pic below, this was just for testing purposes.

Hey, got any extra pics of banshees.

@general community: what is the best way to change resolutions of a pic without losing the quality?

Iceblade said:
@general community: what is the best way to change resolutions of a pic without losing the quality?

There are many different algorithms that graphics programs use to resize an image. We need to know more about what you're doing now to improve it. What software are you using? You really should be able to easily resize something with virtually no loss in quality apart from the sheer loss of pixels. Where you might be destroying the image is in the saving/compression process. You need to make sure you export the file in the appropriate format and at the appropriate quality level.

Well, actually I was more or less wondering how mods like UE and Standoff and the CIC staff handle resizing wallpaper for different resolution moniters. I usually just use word's resize tool which for some wierd reason is way better than paint at keeping an images intregity (which is next to none).

@IceBlade: Use an image editing tool, for a free (opensource) one try the GIMP.

@czacen: Just a (long) thought...
If you're working on this mod during working hours using company hardware and software, does the mod become the property of your employer (like in most standard IT software developer contracts). If so, are they happy to release it to the public?

Iceblade said:
Well, actually I was more or less wondering how mods like UE and Standoff and the CIC staff handle resizing wallpaper for different resolution moniters. I usually just use word's resize tool which for some wierd reason is way better than paint at keeping an images intregity (which is next to none).

That's the problem. You really need to use a real graphics editing program. http://www.irfanview.com/ is supposed to be a great free one.

I use Paintshop Pro for all my graphics editing, and Kris has created a custom application to automatically process images for front page updates. Most prerendered wallpapers seem to be individually rerendered at each resolution.

Mincemeat said:
@czacen: Just a (long) thought...
If you're working on this mod during working hours using company hardware and software, does the mod become the property of your employer (like in most standard IT software developer contracts). If so, are they happy to release it to the public?

There's really no place for a *Homeworld* mod using *Wing Commander* objects to be anyone but Sierra and EA's property. I don't see any reason to believe that czacen is using either company time or property here though.

yeah mincemeat i do know what your talking about, however i dont work on the mod at work. it wouldn't be possible for me to get data i work on in the office to the outside anyway, due to strict security systems on the workstations and exits. i do however do alot of drawings and sketches that keep me going during the day, in my free time, then bring it home and work on them at home. i have a very good workstation at home and all required software to get the models done.

btw anybody managed to get a screengrab of what gunfire looks like in WC4? need it to progress onto the FX and weapons. thanks.

ChrisReid said:
I use Paintshop Pro for all my graphics editing, and Kris has created a custom application to automatically process images for front page updates. Most prerendered wallpapers seem to be individually rerendered at each resolution.
It's a frontend for ImageMagick. It's a collection of command-line tools that handle any size or shape transformation you can think of. It's the fastest way to get conversions done if you always perform the same operations.

For wallpapers, rendering for a specific resolution from the 3D source file will look better than rendering once and resizing later.

Excellent work, czacen! The models and textures look incredibly impressive, moreso given the pace of development -- really looking forward to the mod. :cool:

I started collecting a batch of images from the WC4 DVD cinematics yesterday relating to the various space stations and labs shown and will dump them to a zip archive and upload them hopefully later tonight. I don't think there will be any more unique shots of Confed HQ, although the one you've modelled looks great. :D

Regarding WC4 fighter gunfire screengrabs, will a screenshot from the cockpit view of each fighter with each weapon firing be suitable? I'll get working on that after I've uploaded the other images, so with any luck I'll have the first batch of gun images up late tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers,

BrynS

thanks BrynS as usual YOU DA MAN!!! cant wait to get those images. screengrabs from the cockpit is fine, just want to associate the right beam and colour as it is in the game, as well as get a rough look at the actual projectile that i need to replicate. will post a few screenshots of the turret platforms in combat, getting started on them right now and they shouldn't take more than hour or so.
- aaron

turret platforms, these ones are BW AF turrets. made a mistake of sending them up against longbows and thunderbolts hence the rapid destruction in the images below :)!

The turrets look good -- are they moveable/controllable?

Here's the image pack I promised: WC4 DVD Image Pack (Zip Archive - 16.2MB)

It comprises over 650 images captured from the WC4 DVD cinematics, with the focus on capital ships, fighter craft, stations and animations/briefings relating to various space stations/structures.

Cheers,

BrynS

Lt. Death is right, they are exactly like the HW2 ones. If everyone is wondering what ive been upto over the last 2 days, well i was just doing some small polishing up of the existing ships like the concordia, tallahasse and destroyer. checking docking paths and other small tweaks. no pictures untill the next ship is complete, i.e. the HQ. ive put it aside for too long, going to get back to it so it should be done soon.

- aaron

Have you decided what the Border Worlds are going to use for their BattleCruiser? I wouldn't want to risk spoiling another surprise, but I have some ideas I've been thinking about (False Colors.. hint hint).. Also, it could make sense for the Dralthi's you made to simply be a unit on the Border Worlds side since they were allies during WC4.

yeah the BW have their own tallahasse, (i hope this is what you were reffering to) with an alternate paint scheme and weapon layout. i believe there is a post of it on the CIC homepage from a week or so ago. as for just giving the Dralthi to the BW for free, umm... not so sure it would be fair. i think all sides should have an equal oppertunity to enlist them. maybe ill add their build option as a research that is activated at each race's HQ. something like, "Research Kilrathi Technology Rights Treaty" or some such equivalent. still thinking though...

czacen said:
yeah the BW have their own tallahasse, (i hope this is what you were reffering to) with an alternate paint scheme and weapon layout. i believe there is a post of it on the CIC homepage from a week or so ago. as for just giving the Dralthi to the BW for free, umm... not so sure it would be fair. i think all sides should have an equal oppertunity to enlist them. maybe ill add their build option as a research that is activated at each race's HQ. something like, "Research Kilrathi Technology Rights Treaty" or some such equivalent. still thinking though...
How about Kilrathi negotiations?

Back