WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

Sounds good, Aaron! :D

But as Chris mentioned, don't feel compelled to put out a Beta before it's ready or as a motivator for the nominations -- I'm sure the significant progress you've made over only a couple of months of development is cause enough.

Anyway, I can't wait to play the public release whenever it comes -- hopefully I'll have a laptop soon, so I won't be stuck out on the frontier when the fleet action goes down! :p

Cheers,

Bryn

ok everyone a pre-beta release is ready. i have had a friend work on a game loader that makes it easy to run the mod. however please note that this is pre-beta. many things are still not complete in terms of gameplay. graphics and ships are final but AI is a major loophole. i require feedback in terms of multi-player stability. i dont have two machines at home or else i would know how well it works. i remember bryn said it didnt work in multiplayer when last he tested it, im hoping it has better support now. at this time i am happy to announce that lehah is going to be point man for testing of all new versions of the mod from here on out. starting with the pre-beta release that i am waiting to upload somewhere. lehah is going to let me know where i can upload it. hold tight everyone. expect news soon :) btw the mod now has a name for the pre-beta release version. as of right now the mod is named, Wing Commander 4 - Aggression.

As of right now the mod is named, Wing Commander 4 - Aggression.

Meh, the subtitle "Aggression" is a bit dull. Why not come up with something that has a point, such as Wing Commander IV: The Black Lance Incident, or anything else like that.

Meh, the subtitle "Aggression" is a bit dull. Why not come up with something that has a point, such as Wing Commander IV: The Black Lance Incident, or anything else like that.

It's a matter of taste. "Black Lance Incident" sounds a bit dull to me (and easily confusable with WC4, which is referred to as "The Black Lance Affair" in things like the Prophecy Official Guide). I would probably take the "4" off.

I always liked the idea of putting admiral or some kind of commander's name in the title (fleet commander?) since it's unique among WC games in that you're in command of an entire fleet rather than a pilot.

i had a feeling 'aggression' wouldnt go down well. ok so lets open it up to the community. please post your name suggestions here and i will chose the one most liked and apt name and it will be adopted for the mod :).

Email vote@wcnews.com

PRE-BETA DOWNLOAD IS HERE:

http://download.wcnews.com/files/mods/wc4homeworld_preview.exe
http://files.filefront.com/wc4_01aexe/;6266635;;/fileinfo.html

Notice: this is pre-beta download - first version ever. no AI support at all. The multiplayer test is not complete it may or may NOT work. Also the loader is in its first stages it will improve so dont be alarmed if it takes long to start the game or anything. any questions just post here and i will get to them dont worry.

How to install:
1)Download the wc4.exe file from filefront
2)copy the wc4.exe file into the following folder ($:\homeworld2\bin\release\) where $:\ is whatever drive and path you installed homeworld2 on.
3)run the wc4.exe file - a loader will open up, click the launch button - it will take a few minutes to unpack all resources and will automatically run homeworld2 and the mod.
4)enjoy.

Yeah, about the multiplayer -- I tried to get a multiplayer match going across the two networked PC's at home in early September and while the two game installations were able to "see" each other and connect, both instances would quit as soon as the map was loaded. The mod ran smoothly on both PC's in single-player and this conflict still occurred when alternating the creation of a multiplayer session on both PC's (i.e. PC1 would Create a game, while PC2 woud Join and vice-versa) -- I assumed there was probably just some minor code changes that the mod introduced which needed to be modified for a multiplayer match to work, so hopefully if there is still a conflict this can be resolved easily once the beta is available and people have a chance to experiment with multiplayer connectivity. :)

Some rather generic names I'd scribbled down a few months ago included:

- Wing Commander: Sector Command(er)
- Wing Commander: Fleet Admiral
- Wing Commander: Space Marshal
- Wing Commander: Officer Corps
- Wing Commander: Fleet Action (I believe Fleet Action was the name of the previous HW1 mod under development, so using this name may not be suitable -- of course, there's the Fleet Action WC novel too)
- Wing Commander: Action Stations (again, the reference to the WC novel of the same name could be misleading)

However, I'd defer to whatever you guys come up with, especially as the mod is Aaron's baby. Anyway, can't wait to spread the word and eventually play the beta -- do you have any new teaser pics to whet the appetite? :D

Cheers,

Bryn

i like fleet admiral. however i thought the name would sound nicer in reference to war or conflict. i wanted to make it 'wc4: the cold wars' but then again they were anything but cold wars.

Congrats on the testing gig, LeHah. :)

I'll have to wait two weeks to try it out (going home for Christmas), but have no doubt it will be a blast! :D

So, sans AI, all the factions and ships/facilities are included, as well as the audio and music?

Cheers,

Bryn

"Fleet Commander" (As suggested by Whoopass)?
"The Borderworlds Conflict"?

Anything else? Its all I can come up with.

Back