WC too glossy like Star Trek?

ST can be kinda glossy or at least a bit more shiny than WC/most other SF series like say... Space above and Beyond (very WC)?

No-one dies in ST, except on very few occasions. On those occasions, It's usually a redshirt or one of the more minor major characters. Half the time, whenever they get into a fight or attacked by some space organism or whatever, it's because of a 'misunderstanding'. Whenever a war is going to start, it's always the fault of some rogue group who gets to die. Bleah.

In WC, people die left and right! Spirit! Angel! Cobra! Flint! Vegabond! Catscratch! Hawk! Blair! Everyone else on the Claw minus Paladin and Maniac! plus an extremly long list of 'redshirts'. I've probably forgot a few on that list too. The war is straight-out-in-your-face-people-die. That's a BIT less 'glossy'.

But WC is about War
ST not. altough the last 3 seassons od DS9 are about war, but you can´t kill so easily a major carachter in a series (not counting Yar)

Star Trek is syndicated television. Killing of major characters doesn't sit well with your audience (as well as your actors I suppose :D )

Well ST:DS9 killed 2 major characters in the last 2 seasons as well as a slew of those minor recurring characters. Don't know about you guys, but those minor recurring characters almost seemed as important, or more so, than the regular cast.

2??
One was Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrel resigned because some money problem)
And the other?, i can´t remember the other. (surely it isn´t Weyoun or Gowron)

ST is not happy! It's dark! Like WC1! People DIE in Star Trek! It [rant cut in interest of boardwide intelligence]

Ghost: Weyoun did get killed off. Several times, in fact. :D

Other major characters that died would be Sisko and Gul Dukat ("What you leave behind"), and as you say, Gowron.

Best, Raptor

Or that WC lives in a worse neighborhood, you know with bars on the windows and stuff. Or maybe WC has had a reality check.

Originally posted by Raptor
Ghost: Weyoun did get killed off. Several times, in fact. :D
I liked Weyoun, but that was a bit overdone I agree. In the end it was a new Weyoun every episode! :D
And in the final episode he finally died forever ("That was the last Weyoun clone" - Founder)

Other major characters that died would be Sisko and Gul Dukat ("What you leave behind"), and as you say, Gowron.
Sisko didn't die, he left. He went to be with the Prophets and can very well return someday, like he said, tomorrow, in one year, or yesterday.

Darkness does not neccessarily mean that more people die in the franchise; the darkness is more a tone and general feel. One of the good things about Wing is that people die. Lots of them. And when they die, they die. Everyone gets resurrected in Star trek, so death is fairly trivial. Quite a few main characters have died in Star Trek only to return, of course.

Death doesn't mean dark, but it is a good indicator. When the heros die, something horible must of happen to cause them to die, and that tends to lead to a feeling of darkness.

Yes, well many times in ST, when a character dies, It's a 'noble death'. Yes, the most beloved characters in WC often do that, Angel, Spirit, Bossman etc. But some are just from bad luck. Hunter, Knight, Downtown, Stingray, Cobra, Vegabond. Yes, Vegabond died pretty damn unluckily.

Many a time an ST char dies, they 'save the ship' or 'save a friend' or whatever. There's a difference, really. Plus, death is just *not* a real scary thing in ST. There is no fear, no confusion, no personality traits in that area, mostly no visible hatred such as those shown in SM1.

That makes a difference.

But most of the time Star Trek isn't meant to deal with those issues. It's not a show about fighting a gruelling long term war. The final season of DS9 came pretty close though (and also had the darkest overall feel about it).
If you want to see a good ST episode about the fear of death, watch the Season 7 DS9 episode The Siege of AR-558.

Part of it, too, is the issue of writers. When you've only got on writer, you can afford to do things like kill off main characters, replace the commander of the starbase, or other fun things such as that.
When you've got dozens of different writers, each of whom writes one off episodes, then you end up with a situation like Star Trek, where you can only kill major characters until the end of the episode. IMHO, its literally a case of too many cooks spoil the soup.

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-

Many a time an ST char dies, they 'save the ship' or 'save a friend' or whatever. There's a difference, really. Plus, death is just *not* a real scary thing in ST. There is no fear, no confusion, no personality traits in that area, mostly no visible hatred such as those shown in SM1.

That makes a difference.

I... must....not... :mad:

Just watch the episodes after Jadzia Dax died and what happened with Worf,Sisko, Bashir and Ezri. Later come here and we will talk again.

hehe ghost.

But you must admit, in the original series, there wasnt much drama when it came to dying. it just....happened.

Which is why I feel DS9 was the best ST series to date, but that is another argument for another board. I agree with you Ghost, especially since Dax's death was "meaningless" to boot. She wasn't saving anything, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Tasha Yar's death over in TNG was similar, but at least she was on an away mission. And with the exception of Data, her Death did not seem to affect the rest of the crew much after that episode, though they did tie it in to other stories from time to time.

Originally posted by Zor Prime
hehe ghost. But you must admit, in the original series, there wasnt much drama when it came to dying. it just....happened.
When one of the multitude of Kirk's women died, he usually got overwrought, but that was Shatner's acting style :)

For the most part TV shows rarely kill off a regular character. The people who die are the ones you're introduced to that episode, or occaionally several epsiodes back, so you haven't developed that much of an attachment to them.

I´m expecting that some fucking moron comes here and will said:

*Sheridan died and later was revived, so B5 is a piece of bullshit because he can´t be revived*. :mad:

Back