WC too glossy like Star Trek?

Hmm, well I quite like the idea of massive corporations running the place. Although this idea has been done to death, mind.
Star Trek is not dark. I meant the kind of dark that was overly disturbing. The number of examples I could give is endless.

Originally posted by TC
ST V is about a religious zealot.

I don't understand how you like Star Trek V more than Generations. Sure, Generations wasn't Oscar calibur stuff, but it was a lot better acted and had a much more logical story than V.

Much like Highlander II, Star Trek V is muttered about in the back recesses of Sci-Fi conventions amongst those who wear dark cloaks and conspire murder and futhering Rick Berman's career.

Star Trek V was pretty bad.

The best Trekker films are 2 and 6

the rest try to be something that they are not.

I still like 8 a lot. But then again I have always been more of a TNG man than a TOS man. Of the TOS films 2 and 6 are defenitely best, although 4, 3 and 1 are also good (if not a little slow-paced in the case of 1, can't wait for the Director's Cut DVD to come out in the Netherlands to see if it improves somewhat).

First Contact was pretty low on the totem poll of ST movies. They tried to put in a plot when the movie should've been about another huge Borg invasion and having the budget for it this time.
Not to mention, First Contact ruined the Borg, just like Voyager did.

Agreed. The sixth movie was the best of them all, in my opinion. It had a nice conspiracy. We all need a good conspiracy every now and then, too bad WC is full of them. I think it needs a break.

Originally posted by Treguard
Hmm, well I quite like the idea of massive corporations running the place. Although this idea has been done to death, mind.
Star Trek is not dark. I meant the kind of dark that was overly disturbing. The number of examples I could give is endless.

Star Trek isn't disturbing?

Have you actually watched it and studied it's society?

Trivialisation of personal property. military rule over civillian courts, military elitism(Starfleet), "equal" oppurtunity and a bunch of other really really sick things that the writers probably aren't aware of that they inadvertantly created.

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-
Agreed. The sixth movie was the best of them all, in my opinion. It had a nice conspiracy. We all need a good conspiracy every now and then, too bad WC is full of them. I think it needs a break.

It got one. WCP and SOP were 100% conspiracy free!
And look where that got them...

THe old saying

"Don't look for what's not there"

THing is, I don't like thinking too much about films or tv shows whil I'm watching them as it spoils it. The content should be overwhelming that it's obvious what is supposed to be there.

Mind you, some sex scenes in Star Trek/Wing comander wouldn't go amiss ;)

Star Trek is pretty mild, although for up to 12 year olds they made find some bits scary. Funnily enough, some of the earlier eps of TNG had some bits cut out when it was airred on Sky

e.g.

i) the episode where Q makes some of the crew fight pig things. in the Sky release, when Wesley gets stabbed (YES!!!!) you only see his face. but in the video release, you see the sword come out the other side of his stomach

Very nice

Some other minor things were taken out, e.g. Especially in the Pilot, bits where Tasha talked to Picard before they were about to get captured. Really enjoyable.

Star Trek is a nice bit of fun, but I don't take it serious. Having said that, it's nice to watch some eps that really get your sub woofer going :mad:

Either that, or some really nasty depressive one. The best episodes in Star Trek were the survival ones, and if you look, survival films or those with that element are quite popular.

Let's have Earth blown up for once, really nice cutscene seeing it getting carved up like a roast ? Haven't seen any games with that idea. and then at the end of the game, you still don't win your territory back. (hmm didn't wing commander 1 have that in mind) ?

Hey, I play a WC MUSH where Earth is invaded ala the loosing branch of WC3, and Confed and UBW go to war ala loosing WC4,in a parellel universe type thing. Go try that, it's nice and depressing :) It's just gotten to the Nephlim part too. Go check it out at

18.244.0.114 port 2197. Go use a MUD connector like ZMUD or SimpleMU* and connect. There's some 60+ people on average a day, and it's really cool.

Always thought Fed ships (esp. TNG) were too "shiny" (unless you count the occasional hapless Miranda getting its port nacelle ripped off again and again and again and again and again and again...)

Originally posted by Battler Hawke
if your whount realality in sci-fi space combat tv got to b5.

Yeah, where ships possess the AMAZING ability to move in THREE DIMENSIONS!!!!!

Originally posted by Nob Akimoto

Star Trek isn't disturbing?

Have you actually watched it and studied it's society?

Trivialisation of personal property. military rule over civillian courts, military elitism(Starfleet), "equal" oppurtunity and a bunch of other really really sick things that the writers probably aren't aware of that they inadvertantly created.

Have you ever been to ASVS in your lifetime? :)

Originally posted by Unforgiven

Let's see, examples of people who were permanently (as opposed to a one-episode-only cameo appearance) resurrected (not counting the people saved seconds after death by Crusher et al). Spock. That's it. I can't think of any other. Anyone?

Well, if you count the books Kirk was resurrected roughly thirty gazillion times...

Well, if you count the books Kirk was resurrected roughly thirty gazillion times...

Just once.

And I, personally, do count the books -- people at SpaceBattles and BattleSpace and Dan's Battle Barn: Space Arena and so forth don't understand the concept of "canon" at all. A company will mention that something is canon and something else is not, and everyone will assume that, magically, the other thing DOESN'T EXIST! That's not what it means -- all canon means is that when someone goes to write a new episode of Enterprise, they don't have to have read all the Star Trek novels. They're still licensed products, though, and part of the universe...

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Yeah, where ships possess the AMAZING ability to move in THREE DIMENSIONS!!!!!

Nah.
They figured out how to do that in Star Trek II, as well.
heh heh

Where sound travels through space!! (like the WC Movie. heh..)
Where you see things at the same time that you hear them!
Where people rely on a cheap visual view screen to look at things!
Where Starships only can go 3d movement in special situations!!

...staaarr treeekk!

Seriously, it is quite a lighthearted show, at least until the survival DS9 episodes (i forgot about those) and is less realistic than EVEN WC.

Talking about being stupid: has anyone heard something of Col.Dom lately? :D (no offence, buddy)

I miss the real life maniac.

I wouldn't describe Star Trek as being dark. However, glossy is not the word either. I think it's kinda dependent on what yer talking about.

TOS was fairly dark. It had that primitive feel to it. (and Kirk was a highly aggresive captain)
TNG was not overly dark. I would agree that it wasn't light either, but it wasn't dark (It reflected the 80s visions a great deal)
Voyager is not dark. It's pretty weak, but somehow it appeals to me.
DS9 was pretty dark sometimes.

The movies: don't feel like doing them.

Ok Talyn I'll give the movies a shot:

ST:TMP- happy feel to it
ST 2- Dark and violent, death,revenge destruction, light at the very end
ST 3- see ST 2
ST 4- Very lighthearted
ST 5- waste of time no point to movie
ST 6- little of both revenge and death warm fuzzy ending
ST 7- see above
ST 8- obsessions and revenge
ST 9- did'nt watch it

Don't you love how they waste a starship and a legend just to try and stop the Admiral, I mean Dr Soren

TMP light? The movie starts off with the annihlation of the Klingons like nothing happened, and gets perhaps darker from there... it isnt violent/dark, but it is definitely dark in a "you cant do a thing to save yourselves" fasion.

Agree with ST2-4

ST5 was definitely... different. I wouldnt say it was dark as much as there was simply a lot of challenging of preconceptions.

as for movement in 3 axes... that is unique in pretty much any sci-fi universe is the face-to-face, and the camera usually orients so theyre horizontal. No Klingon or other race that deserves to survive would let an enemy leave cannon pointed at the underside of his warship...

Back