WC too glossy like Star Trek?

Actually, a number of people have been, in a sense, resurrected in Star Trek, both in the past and very soon in Nemesis. Note: spoilers.

While many Trek fans are looking forward to this, In my opinion the next Star Trek film looks less than promising. This bit about the main "nemesis" being a clone of Picard, named Shinzon, sounds fairly ludicrous. And this whole bit about Data's third brother, B-9, sounds cliched, as well. Data supposebly dies in the end, but he transfers himself into B-9 or something similar. (There we have another resurrection.) At any rate, the movies's story seems like it will become ripped with ideas from the second Star Trek movie and various other large science fiction franchises. Who knows how it really is going to turn out, though.

On the issue of what is considerd part of the Star Trek universe or not, I do not think an interpretaion of any words is neccessary. Paramont has stated several times that most of the books are *not* part of the Star Trek universe (As opposed to the policy of Star Wars where all books do exist untill proven wrong by a higher source). An example would be Peter David's New Frontier series. In many of these replies, Paramount never even mentioned the word "canon." Gene Roddenberry has also stated that certain products -- some of the animated series, for instance -- are not part of Star Trek's principal universe, either. Seeing as Paramount earns a profit off of these thing, they are of most certainly official products. However, Paramount never figures in anything from the books, games and the like; consequently, the books are contradicted many times. And a great deal of whats written could not possibly have happened anyways. The Star Trek Invasion storeis would be an example. SO it is pretty definite that certain things do not have a place in the universe. I believe this is where the bit about the books not being in the universe came from.

I'll agree with Chernikov on 1 and with Thymerlord on 2-4, 6-8. 5 was sarker then you might think. I always found it to be about finding the answer to your own personal ultimate question, and discovering that answer is wrong. It dealt with pain in a way no other Star Trek movie has. It's a very psychological movie to me.

e.g.
The "No, damn it. I need my pain" speech by Kirk to Sybok.

There's a valuable lesson there, boys and girls, one who most people claim they've learned, but haven't.

As for 9: could be fairly dark (parricide by the Son'A), but this aspect was not developed enough.

Hey, don't you love how Kirk always goes on a quest to be young again? It's like every time he fels old, he just hops on his little starship and BAM: he's 25 again. That is something I also saw in Picard in ST9 (which was of course about geting younger).

now come on Thymerlord, kirk and the enterprise were sacrificed to save 230 million people.... thats not exactly small potatoes (unless they were a race of sentient small potatoes) :)

Kirk could have saved them just by ripping his shirt and making out with the nearest woman.But really that movie shows us many things. For one thing that in deep space wine does not freeze! I like that the potato Empire.I bet Confed could have stopped the whole thing with a wave of fighters.

Originally posted by Thymerlord
Kirk could have saved them just by ripping his shirt and making out with the nearest woman.But really that movie shows us many things. For one thing that in deep space wine does not freeze! I like that the potato Empire.I bet Confed could have stopped the whole thing with a wave of fighters.
No it showed us that wine in spacedock doesn't freeze. They were in orbit of Earth, that's hardly deep space.

Originally posted by The Shadow
now come on Thymerlord, kirk and the enterprise were sacrificed to save 230 million people.... thats not exactly small potatoes (unless they were a race of sentient small potatoes) :)
And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear.
And terror possesed me then.
And I begged,
"Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
And the angel said unto me,
"These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
"Hear me now, I have seen the light!
They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
Damn you!
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
Save our brothers!"
Can I get an amen?
Can I get a hallelujah?
Thank you Jesus.

I personally think Star Trek X will be excellent.

I love the Romulans, I like evil villians, I want to see the Enterprise E deploy that Quantom Torpedo turret, I love Guinan, and I just really want another good movie with the Next Generation crew.

Q: How will the writers adress Janeway bringing future technology back with her? Will the Enterprise E have ablative armor and transphasic torpedos?

Originally posted by Talyn 83
Talking about being stupid: has anyone heard something of Col.Dom lately? :D (no offence, buddy)

I miss the real life maniac.

Well, uh, I don't know what to say! I'm so glad to be held in such *ahem* "high esteems" :p

On the topic, I don't think Star Trek was ever really glossy; the exception being the Motion Picture. While it is true that WC is much darker in terms of its wars than ST is, ST isn't glossy.

When you think of it, they're both kind of dark! WC has that WWII locked-in-a-death-grip futile war feeling where there is open warfare and people die horribly. ST has that Cold War every-side-has-their-weapons-aimed-at-each-other any-second-now tensions and hostilities feeling where each faction likes to test each other's borders.

yay

Talyn, why did you have to inflate Col.Dom's ego?

Firebird, They already court martialed Janeway, for all the crimes she did while out on the frontier.

Originally posted by Firebird
Q: How will the writers adress Janeway bringing future technology back with her? Will the Enterprise E have ablative armor and transphasic torpedos?

If you care, you don't get Star Trek. <G>

so if WC is World War 2-ish and Star Trek is Cold War-ish then what would Star Wars be? Just a question that popped in there :)

for some reason I just got a strange picture of Clint Eastwood wielding a light-saber and claiming "I am your father!". Quite disturbing indeed... :(

Originally posted by Mav23
so if WC is World War 2-ish and Star Trek is Cold War-ish then what would Star Wars be? Just a question that popped in there :)

I always thought of Star Wars as "American Revolution-ish!"

Originally posted by Mav23
for some reason I just got a strange picture of Clint Eastwood wielding a light-saber and claiming "I am your father!". Quite disturbing indeed... :(

The thoughts of a sick man...

Originally posted by Col.Dom

I always thought of Star Wars as "American Revolution-ish!"

Which would explain why Darth Vader was played by an American and Obi-Wan Kenobi by a Brit? :D

Best, Raptor

Back