WC the movie

omeone please lock this before a flame-war starts up.

chris_blair_fpj, that was not a good subject to bring up. Threads like this tend to turn into flame-fests. It's a reasonable question, but the topic of movie vs. the games has been beaten to death around here, and it tends to annoy a number of people to see it brought up, especially directly, and, for some, by a newbie whose been here for only a few days and as his second post.

To answer your question: No, Paladin doesn't look the same. There's a different actor for Paladin in the games than for the movie, and neither looks especially like the Paladin from WC1/2, in my opinion, since neither is blonde. And Blair, for a lot of people (including me), will always be Bluehair from WC 1/2 or Mark Hammel, but you are, like everyone else, entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to challenge that.

Welcome to the boards, and please don't let this scare you from posting again. I'm not coming down on you, just letting you know that some topics have been overposted and a lot of people aren't interested in seeing them again. However, it's a natural mistake. We all make them (and usually have, including yours truly).

The movie maniac was one of the few acceptable casting decisions I find livable about the movie and its not that the others did a bad job its just hard to accept somone else playing the role when you already have a solid picture of what that person is supposed to look/sound like. But like the man says everyone is entitled to their opinions

Really? That Matthew Liliard guy bugs the piss out of me. If anyone in the movie, I like who played Paladin. Sure, he's no John Rhys-Davies, but still. And then they had the guy from Dune and Das Boot in it. That guy was also in Privateer 2 as most of you know. He preferred to call mutants "gentically challened." Hilarious.

Freddie Prinze Junior was an excellent choice for the original Wing Commander's 'guy who nods a few times' :)

Spirit actually had a bit part in the shooting script - they cut out pretty much all of the 'show what everyone else is doing' scenes, though.

As such, though, she shows up in the novel.

(In general, I think the movie casting was pretty spot on. The Paladin thing bugs me, but Tcheky Karyo is a great actor.)

Bandit LOAF said:
The Paladin thing bugs me, but Tcheky Karyo is a great actor.

Couldn't agree more. I think that his performance in it does respect to the character as well as being entertaining. I've always thought of him as underrated.

Once you get past the 'teenage heartthrob' factor behind casting Prinze and Lillard, they really are great for their [WC1 era] roles. Maniac is annoying and Blair is lost. :)

The big shift between Lillard/Prinze and the really international, classically respected supporting cast really brings home the whole 'rookies joining the war' idea that the movie involved.

I still don't think Lillard acted enough like Maniac. But oh well, what do you expect from him.

Eh, he didn't act like Tom Wilson as Maniac... but he did act like the Maniac we see in WC1 and WC2, IMO. (Any humor in WC1/2 Maniac was just 'haha, he's such a jerk and he doesn't know it'...)

I saw WCM on Sci-Fi again and the Kilrathi scenes kinda look like crap. It looked like the TV formating really screwed them up, are/were they any good on DVD or in theatres?

Back