WC the movie

Id have to say they looked better in the theaters - because the negative print didn't take well to American theater projectors and the picture looked really dark.

Bandit LOAF said:
No, the Kilrathi always looked awful.

Not only them. I'm still representing the opinion, the movie has no connection to the timeline, universe, scenario and even names.
But I enjoyed the movie - because some (distant) similarities to WC and later, as Starlancer appeared. It's a noble "trash-movie" like I have said some times ago.

The only thing, I really dislike in this movie are the main actors (Prinze Jr. & Lillard). I can't imagine them in a serious movie and they can't play depth characters, in my opinion. But that is a taste thing, you know.

I don't want to say bad things about the Movie. People, if anyone hasn't saw the movie yet, then do it. Make your own opinion. The Intro sequence is well done (even with that pilgrim cross) and same applies to the soundtrack.

"WC"M simply splits the WC Community, because everyone has their own vision of WC.

Back to the Movie "Kilrathi", their voices are authentic and far better than the German version (the voice distortion effect in the German version was really cheap).

"WC"M simply splits the WC Community, because everyone has their own vision of WC.

As did Wing Commander 3, the novels, the TV show, Privateer 2, Wing Commander 4 and Wing Commander Prophecy. :) Fans will argue about whatever the newest product is until something else comes along.

Bandit LOAF said:
As did Wing Commander 3, the novels, the TV show, Privateer 2, Wing Commander 4 and Wing Commander Prophecy. :) Fans will argue about whatever the newest product is until something else comes along.

Right, but WCM was a very totally strange step in WC-History (if WCM counts)...
I saw some previews in PC-Game Magazines before the movie premiere and it shows a little about the way of designs, but not the complete different style of it.

One thing, among other small details, is the fact, that its Kilrathi-Edition have their own live-atmosphere, even as cheap fog-effects.
When their ("terran"-shaped) ships detonate, you can see the loosing of green atmosphere from the habitable decks. I know, that's no hidden detail, but most movies don't consider such details, they only using generic explosions to show the destruction of space vessels.

I must admit, the movie has it own "secret treasures", but it is still confusing...

Bandit LOAF said:

isent that nice then we have something to talk about :D ....

My biggest problem wasnt the acting in it, it was the cramming of events and technology. They carmmed stuff from WC 1,2, and 3 in there and it just doesnt work out for those of us who went to see it for the WC content. At least not as much so. The target audience was certainly not the WC fan base

Actually, they didn't "cram" a damned thing. They just made connections to things that would happen later on in the series.

Well first let me say this: I really like the WC Movie. I thought it was a great movie considering the limited production budget they had (I believe it was like $10MM which is incredibly small for a modern movie. I think Final Fantasy had a budget of $300MM but that's a different matter altogether). I still dust off my copy of the WC Movie and watch it about once every 2 months because I like it. However, I don't certain things about it...mainly the fact that they cast a French gentleman (whom I must say is an excellent actor in his own right) to play the part of a Scottish Paladin, they put an English girl (also a good actor) to play a Belgian-French Angel. They used models that look absolutely nothing like the game (The Rapier comes to mind along with the Tiger's Claw...) the Kilrathi scenes were dreadful but that was due to a low budget. Spirit, Iceman, Commander Halycon weren't even mentioned in the actual movie. Bossman was just a memory...Knight made a brief appearance in time to die...Hunter was barely an afterthought. All that kinda disappointed me initially but I still love the movie. It's kinda like Privateer 2...it's not similar in any way to Privateer but still a damn fine game to play. :)

i think the reson chen was only A memory in the movie was not to introduce too many charicters and there was not much ca$h to pay another actor the killrathi scenes where limited because they never looked good as you said.

subtitles and character check

Hi all could anyone please explain what is the go with
1. In the movie the text you see before the subtitles whenever the killrathi speaks and;
2. Is it Eric or Chris roberts in the rescue craft picking up blair near the end of the movie??
cheers

I liked the flight scene's in the movie, but the charachter was messed up if you ask me... And whats is the pilgrim stuff all about i have never heard of it before the movie....

darksplat said:
1. In the movie the text you see before the subtitles whenever the killrathi speaks and;
2. Is it Eric or Chris roberts in the rescue craft picking up blair near the end of the movie??
cheers

1. Hell knows. Maybe the explanation why chris had to mess up his own franchise
2. it´s chris. his supreme artistic capabilities (smiling into the cam) don´t make the movie any better though.
I liked the CGs, but the sound effects ruined it. why do the dralthis (?) sound like Stukas? What about the roaring engines from WC3 and 4? why does the minigun (?) on the rapiers (???) sound like a ww2 submachine gun with a cold?
if it was to make the story and the artists appear better: IT DIDN´t WORK!

darksplat said:
cheers

Eric is in the shuttle but if I'm not mistaken Chris is the voice of Blairs little PDA type thing (Merlin if I recal the name correctly)

Chris Roberts is the shuttle pilot (who the novel, without knowing the character would be Chris' cameo, named 'Chris McCubbin' in a nod to the famous WC guide writer).

(Chris' brother is Erin, not Eric. I don't think he had anything to do with the movie.)

The voice of Merlin is Mark Hamill, who played Blair in WC3, 4, Prophecy and on the Academy TV show.

REgardless of the infite debate, I just think the movie is a bad movie in a movie sense. It sucks cinematographly.

I would say that for a cheap sci fi movie, the actual cinematography was very good - it had a very unique look that occasionally verged on artsy.

The final edited together version of the story didn't work at all, though. The characters and the story didn't develop properly, and the edits completely ruined the pacing.

Edfilho said:
It sucks cinematographly.

Thierry Arbogast is probably one of the best Cinematographers working in film today along with John Toll and Dante Spinotti.

His work includes La Femme Nikita, Leon, The Apartment, The Fifth Element and The Messenger.

Small sidenote

Did anybody seen the Nokia-Logo under the computerscreens of the Pegasus Base? That was unintentional ridiculous for my taste.

I recognized this detail first after seeing it as DVD, though the Cinema screen was bigger... :eek:

Back