WC the movie

I've never had a commercial VHS tape degrade significantly - it's just off air dubs that are going by the wayside.

That said, the improvement in picture quality and the fact that you generally get a widescreen transfer is more than worth the upgrade to DVDs.

Ripper said:
VCR? How primitive. When do you plan to join the rest of us in the 21st Century? :D

Oh I have a DVD player or two laying around my house ;) , but I got the VHS WC for a really good price, and at the time I only had a TV/VCR combo unit in my office- which is where I've always watched it. Since then I've added a DVD player so I'll buy it on DVD one day- there seems to be plenty of them around.

Mace said:
and the rest of the story is that in the near future they will be chased into outer space by terrorists? :D

Well of course! how do you think WC Movie Paladin got there? lol

well, actors can learn accents.. take braveheart for example. mel gibson learned that scottish accent

I'm pretty sure that Paladin played by a Frenchman pretending to have an over the top Scottish accent would be much worse than what we already have.

An actor's native accent shouldn't mar his performance.

If you're bitching over the fact that he's sporting a different accent, you're the one in the wrong, not the casting agent.

You know, I haven't seen the Wing Commander movie since it came out in theaters. I remember walking out of the theater with mixed feelings. The big thing about the movie that annoyed me was the whole Pilgrim thing-- it felt like they were ripping off the Force and didn't feel Wing Commandery at all.

I thought Matthew Lilliard was a bit shrill as Maniac, but then again after watching Tom Wilson's take on Maniac in the games, it's tough to take a fresh look at the character. Freddie Prinze Jr. was very bland as Blair, as he is in a lot of movies. The other acting didn't bother me one way or another, although it's a shame Malcolm McDowell wasn't able to reprise his role as Tolwyn because of having to be on the Fantasy Island "remake" TV show.

Hard to believe that they'd cast someone *bland* for the Mark Hamill role... :)

(That isn't hot dogging...)

Oh, come on, Mark Hamill wasn't that bad. Sure, his performance was on the weak side in Wing Commander III, but he had some fine moments in Wing Commander IV. I remember playing through those games picking the "Mark Hamill asshole" choices just to see Mark acting pissed off, which he can't do well!

Anyway, you gotta admit that Mark Hamill is a more entertaining main character than the young cadet guy from Prophecy.

that sure is... also i found it a bit disapointing to fly those games as a 2nd Lt instead of a Col. .....

I liked the cast, except Jr. I think he is bad. Maniac was noisier than the WC1 era one, but it went well with the wc3 onwards one.

Regarding VHS tapes:
I worked on Movie-TV distributor, they had everything in both VHS and BETA-SP or BETA DIGITAL. the VHS was used to sample and demo the shows and movies they sold to the broadcasters. they REALLY got fucked up, lot's of funguses, decay etc. The Beta ones fared a lot better.

I have Wing Commander recorded on the Tivo and I watch it every once in a while. In retrospect I could see where Chris Roberts was heading for his future games (I didn't see the movie for a long time and by this time I had already played Starlancer, and the capships explosions just screamed "STARLANCER!" to me) through this movie. I was expecting the worst when I finally watched it due to the seemingly majority's negative opinions about it, but I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it.

I think this is just one of those things where it becomes a fad to bash something and it is bashed because other people are bashing it, not because the person truly dislikes it.

But whatever.

I agree. It's also generally a given that whatever the most recent thing is gets bashed - I remember people in 1993 complaining about how much they hated Privateer because it was so different from the other games... then WC3 because it changed the look and had cheap acting... Privateer 2 because it was too "European".... Academy because it had WC3 ships in the first episode (!)... and ultimately whatever people complain about gets overlooked when something new shows up and in retrospect is considered a classic.

my two cents.

yes, the movie is bad, but i still like watching it anyway.

my favorite aspect is the submarine warfare-like way capships battle.

Back