WC the movie

d3r3k said:
my two cents.

yes, the movie is bad, but i still like watching it anyway.

Then it's not bad. That's the playground situation. Don't put something down that you like just because other kids might bash it.

Bandit LOAF said:
I agree. It's also generally a given that whatever the most recent thing is gets bashed - I remember people in 1993 complaining about how much they hated Privateer because it was so different from the other games... then WC3 because it changed the look and had cheap acting... Privateer 2 because it was too "European".... Academy because it had WC3 ships in the first episode (!)... and ultimately whatever people complain about gets overlooked when something new shows up and in retrospect is considered a classic.

someone or everyone has always got to complain about something

Yeah, the movie could've been better. I think the whole story was a bit confusing for people that didn't care about WC. So, what was the TC supposed to do what, buy the fleet two hours by stopping the entire Kilrathi fleet, knocking out a comm ship?

I think this kind of space battle movie should be very clear on what's happening. So, there's a droid control ship. We must blow it up. Everyone get it.

I guess I really tend to like the underdog anyway. It seems most people disliked Starlancer but I really like it and I'm working on playing through it again.

It's hard to really enjoy something if you hold it to unrealistically high standards. Sure Starlancer has zilch in the area of character development, but I (personally) enjoy the whole story idea, and the fact that the protagonists are pretty horribly losing the war (although there really isn't much here that hasn't been done before). Mostly I really enjoy the in-game action.

Ooooops this isn't the Starlancer thread. Enough out of me.

This playground theory is pretty, but it surely doesn't work for me. I ALWAYS liked Priv, WC3 (I carried the manual and the birds of prey thing with me to college on my backpack), priv2 and WCP. And I don't like the movie. I would dislike it even if all of you loved it.

BTW, My personal problem with SL is that the mission scripting is TOO heavy handed. Apart from that, I like the rest: graphic engine, design, interface, gameplay (how the ships "feel"). But the mission design kinda spoils the fun.

The movie suffers from some studio-enforced editing that removed plot points. Not everyone has George Lucas's "pull" you know.

If you dislike the movie for your own reasons then that's cool. People are going to like and dislike different things. However jumping on the bandwagon for something is not cool if you don't personally have reason for feeling that way.

The movie suffers from some studio-enforced editing that removed plot points. Not everyone has George Lucas's "pull" you know.

The final cut was ultimately Chris Roberts' choice - as much as I *love* blaming faceless authorities (pause for laughter), this isn't a case where we can do that.

(As for George Lucas' pull, there's a good story about how he demanded that the Phantom Menace trailer be removed from Wing Commander...)

I remember Lucas's demands that it be removed from WC - but I don't think I ever knew WHY.

As for Robert's edit, I didn't know that - I had assumed it was cut in reaction to the test audience (which is in of it's self a studio enforced policy screening movies)

Bandit LOAF said:
(As for George Lucas' pull, there's a good story about how he demanded that the Phantom Menace trailer be removed from Wing Commander...)

Tell us a story, Bandit LOAF! :)

F4U Corsair...
Um dude, Saffron Burrows isnt English, sHes french!

Um Dude. She's English. Leastways she was born and raised in London. Though I think one of her parents was french (hence the middle name Dominique)

Not wanting to re-ignite any flame wars here, but there is something that I haven't been able to quite figure out (aside from the non-catlike apperence of the movie Kilrathi that is).

I came late to Wing Co, kicking off with WCIII, moving onto IV and Prophecy.

The general impression from III and IV is that Blair and Maniac, whilst old acquaitances, are hardly best acadamy buddies. Yet that is the image in the movie.

which is correct, and if the later, what happend in WC1 and 2 to sour the relationship?

IIRC Maniac freaked out at one point and got into an asylum between WC1 and 2. Dunno if that's true or just my wild imagination, though.

that would explain the freaked bloodred eyes, and the skull earring we see in WC2/SO2

which also made my fav incarnation of maniac, explaining his promotion and how he accidently made two fralthi fly into eachother because of his ludicrous flying style..

The general impression from III and IV is that Blair and Maniac, whilst old acquaitances, are hardly best acadamy buddies. Yet that is the image in the movie.

which is correct, and if the later, what happend in WC1 and 2 to sour the relationship?

Maniac and Blair's relationship has always been complex - but it was set up long before the movie... the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide has a huge section on their academy days, and it's also one of the base relationships in the Wing Commander Academy animated series.

For the most part they're comptetive but also good friends. That changes in Secret Missions, when Maniac cracks^1 and ends up in a mental ward... and Blair, who saves the day, ends up accused of treason and stuck on a space station for ten years.

^1 - this is a topic for debate. The WC12UG ultimately implies that Maniac *didn't* go crazy and that he faked the whole thing because he was tired of fighting... and that's why he was much happier as a test pilot. It's an interesting idea - the character is a lot deeper than we generally like to think about.

Hunter mentions Maniac snapping in Freedom Flight, I believe.

Anxiety said:
Also, didn't he suffer from post traumatic stress disorder sometime after the Battle of Earth?

Not that I recall. The closest we hear to anything like PTSS is Bear's nightmares about the Kilrah run and the losses incurred during that campaign. Maniac snapped in SM1 because he accidentally killed a transport, IIRC. That and the stress of being behind enemy lines got to him more than to most pilots, though he recovered sometime between SM2 and WC2.

Back