WC Novels....

I know, but you began with it. And as you wanted to show me your knowledge of the German language, I couldn't let it to answer in German. Sorry. How much time did you need to look the words up?
If you want to refresh your knowledge I don't have any problem to teach you, but I don't believe you really want to, or? The same offer I have made one time to the whole chat. If anybody ever has a problem with the German language, I have no problem to help him.
And I also waited for a reaction of another person, and I really believe it will come.'Cause I also wanted to give him
a nice advice back he gave me some time ago.

Manjana: Just for the record, I was born in Germany at Offembach am Main, near Frankfurt. I have lived the first 8 years of my life in Darmstadt.

Then my parents realized I was becoming "too German" for their taste and decided to move to France LOL ;)

I studied a bit of German in French high school, for about three years, but then I decided to drop it because it was getting boring. Now I regret it :(, 'cause knowing an additional language is always useful...

I guess I could freshen it up a bit right here, taking some university courses...

I wonder if any Confed traitor/pilot ever learnt how to speak Kilrathi??? Bandit?

Of course you could or you could let it.My offer is standing.
Learning a foreign language can be very useful, but not the German one. I regret, that my father didn't really think about the offer to move to the USA. If this had been the case I wouldn't have been born in Germany. I would really like to speak English as mother language and not German.
If this was the case, the last language which would seem to be useful for me would be the German one!

Aw come on!! How can you reject your native language? Is it because you're not German maybe??

I never lived in Italy and yet I'm proud to be Italian and speak that tongue, even if it's not so "useful" as you might say... :)

Wie viele Deutsche haben wir denn hier im Forum..?
-just wondering
(To all non-german-speaking: How many germans are leaping around in the chat zone?)

Eleazar

I'm from germany and have german translations of three novels:
The first novel I know of is Freedom Flight (german: Die Befreier), the story is connected to WC1 secret missions 2

The second novel is End Run (german: Der Hinterhalt)
The third novel is Fleet Action (german: Die Geheimflotte)
Both are not directly connected to any WC game, but since the Concordia is mentioned in both, I would place them between WC2 and WC3

All three where released in germany by "Bastei-Luebbe-Verlag", book nr. 23148, 23152 and 23160

But "new" WC fans who only played WC3-5 have only one chance to understand everything:
play WC1 and WC2 (and ALL add-on missions of both!)

Some people have learned to speak Kilrathi out of either necessity or out of want. Most were linguists for things like Confed or Fleet Intel, some were those who wanted to negotiate the peace, some slaves would need to know Kilrathi as well. Some of the captured Confed colonists in Action Stations knew Kilrathi. Smugglers that traded with the Kilrathi knew at least some Kilrathi. There were definately many people after the war that learned it. Some pilots knew some, but were pretty much limited to basic insults (and the fighter's computers had built in translators, so one did not need to know Kilrathi to understand what they were saying.)

TC

[Edited by TC on 02-24-2001 at 21:31]

You live in France, mpanty? I used to live there... in Aix en Provence.

As for a Confed pilot who speaks Kilrathi -- Capt. Burkheimer (Talon) from SO2 was fluent. A Victory crew member was taking a Kilrathi class during WC3 -- there's a personal ad in VS looking for a study partner. Paladin spoke Kilrathi during Freedom Flight, Jason Bondarevsky knew enough to hurl insults at the Kilrathi in their native tongue in End Run.

End Run takes place after SO2, and then Fleet Action after it (2667 and 2668-9 respectively).

Originally posted by Eleazar
Wie viele Deutsche haben wir denn hier im Forum..?
-just wondering
(To all non-german-speaking: How many germans are leaping around in the chat zone?)

I'm not German Eleazar, I was just born in Germany and lived there for 8 years. I know Manjana's German, and I think Mekt-Hakkikt also is. With you it makes...4...:)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You live in France, mpanty? I used to live there... in Aix en Provence.

Yeah, I lived for the past 10 years in Paris (whoo-ooh! the capital of fashion... as you can see I chose my username wisely ;) LOL).
Now I've moved to Canada to study at McGill University.

I've never been to Aix en Provence, but the whole region must be very mild and pleasant to live in during the year...
So how long have you lived in France Bandit? Maybe we can even speak French, he he..

About the pilots who speak Kilrathi, I just remembered (and you forgot!! tsk tsk tsk LOL) JAZZ!! We see him speak Kilrathi to the radio at one point in WC II (of course we don't see his face, but we now later on it was him...)

Why I hate being German? I don't hate it very much, but I also cannot say, I am proud of it (like Americans do).
And I am born in Germany. But I am more proud of my foreign relatives (wherever they live). 4 generations before me, the relatives of my father lived in the Netherlands and of my mother in Austria/ the Czech Republic (was this right written?). And I would really like to get these people to know (better said their children). And I hate the german mentality of their strict rules and doing what these rules say without asking (best example: The officers of Hitler who killed people and said that they had their orders).
And it is even today so, that many Germans just do what their rules (which are too many for my taste) say.

Originally posted by Manjana
...And I hate the german mentality of their strict rules and doing what these rules say without asking (...)
And it is even today so, that many Germans just do what their rules (which are too many for my taste) say.

LOL
You know that's EXACTLY the reason why my parents decided to move to France... :)

I guess that between the strict German mentality, and the loose Italian "I don't care" philosophy (I'm Italian), France is a good compromise...

If I will ever move away, this will exactly be my reason,too! But how would you call that? Nice chance.
Seem to be so, that many people have this problem.
*LOL*

Really?? You know other Germans that have the same feeling we do?
I never thought that possible, not for a German... ;)

Mmmm, now there's proof that WC seems to be still flourishing in Germany: translated books, now the CZ overrun with German! :)

WOW!! Indeed it seems pretty big for an European country...

Bandit, do you have figures for the other countries (except US filling the good 50-60%...;))?

Roughly 50-60 in the US, 30 in Germany and the rest everywhere else. That's why almost every WC product is translated into German...

Back