WC Novels....

Right. I don't believe that they translate the videos in every foreign language. I believe sb. in French has to play the games with English videos. But we have a complete translation. Game- handbooks and the main novels except False Colors exist in German (I own them just in German).
And just so on. But that it was so much in Germany even I didn't expect.
And mpanty: I know some other people who even want to move away, because of our reason. But I didn't say I want to move away. I said if I ever moved away.....this WOULD be my reason.
For example one friend of mine wants to move to Australia etc. But this has also other reasons, too. For example the up-coming racism in Germany. After Germany was reunited, many changes were promised, but they didn't come. So the 'new' parts of Germany are frustrated and many people even wish the DDR back. The high unemployment rate also does her part to this and so the 'Browns' (our word for people against foreigners, jews and everybody who is different) get more members. That's aqn explosive bomb what we are sitting on.

Perhaps everything is translated into German but the translation sucks often big time. But this is a general problem. Do you know Futurama? The German translation is a mess, most gags are ruined. Happily I have the original episodes :) . But this is not WC related...
Perhaps you know the German proverb : "Was nicht erlaubt ist, ist verboten." It means if something is not allowed it is forbidden. This is one of the most well-known German clichés. It is true that the Germans are not considered to be as easy going as the Italians or the French but they are considered to be more reliable and efficient and that is also worth something. I am as proud to be French as to be German because both countries have their pros and cons.
And do not say that the German language is useless: German is the most spoken language in Europe.
And it is true that many people are not proud to be German but I think this is because if you say you are proud to be German you will often be put in the racist corner (mostly by other Germans). I mean I do not think that the majority of the German youths knows our national hymn.That would be unimaginable in France or in the USA.
But that is all not WC related so I will not start such a discussion.

Oh fine. I can say of myself that I reliable and efficient. Tell that my chef if I am looking for a job during the next 3 years.:) And I know the proverb. But I hate it. It is an example for the rules I don't like. It doesn't let any 'Greyzone' between allowed and forbidden.
And I know the german national hymn (at my school most people know it, 'cause it was theme in our music lesson).
And to the racial corner: I see it in the other way: Racists are in my eyes people who love their country too much that they don't let anything else exist (people who don't look like the norm/ who have another religion etc.).
If they call me a racist, 'cause I don't 'love' my home country I cannot help them. But I would give all people an advice: If they like their nose, they may not say it. If they also say it, I'll brake their nose.

Mmmmh yeah... I guess I did not live in Germany long enough to really take notice, but I understand there's a real problem with racism over there...
Especially with Turks I think, right?
Since there are many Turkish immigrants, they tend to be the main target of racist people, who also called "Gastarbeiter", which is kind of ironic because it means "guest workers"...

I don't know if you saw that German movie where that Turkish girl and that German boy fall in love, and the whole thing isn't approved by neither family (kind of like Romeo and Juliet in a way, but for racist reasons...)

It's a real problem, a problem that the Kilrathi don't have to face much after the war, since they stay in their assigned system (this is to extrapolate on the WC universe, or else KrisV might complain ;-))

Originally posted by Manjana
...But I would give all people an advice: If they like their nose, they may not say it. If they also say it, I'll break their nose.

This most probably is a German proverb as well, correct? It doesn't come out very well in English so pergaps some explanation is needed here Manjana... ;-)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
...And do not say that the German language is useless: German is the most spoken language in Europe...

...after English, which almost everybody speaks in Europe...
especially in Scandinavia, where people speak English almost perfectly, as well as their native language...

french easy going?

I meet a few year some french girls, two years then me then (16). but I spoke beter english or greman at my fifth.
because most, YES MOST, french or greman people refuse to learn english.

Manjana, nobody will put you in the racist corner becuase you do not love your country, that would make no sense at all (well most racists are not very sensible. And I think we bothmeant nationalists not racists are the guys woh love their country too much (well the one goes often with the other). And that proverb is just a cliché (today) but perhaps the Prussian spirit is still built in...
And as you say that you are not too efficient I tell you that I know some Germans how are VERY easy-going (especially younger ones). You cannot generalize something for a people neither the good sides nor the bad sides (or at least you should not do that).
Mpanty, it is true that there is a certain uprising in racist behaviour at the moment in Germany hopefully it will not last. And I meant German is the most spoken native language in Europe (Germany, Austria, parts of Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium and I think in Lichtenstein and Luxemburg as well). And in Poland and Czechia German appears to be quite popular as foreign language

And Butana: I think the French are considered more easy going than the Germans especially in the south.
And it is true that the French do not learn many foreign languages at all. But with Germans I do not agree: You cannot finish school without having learned at least 2 years of English (OK, I know that languages learnt in school are not that good but it shows that in Germany you have to learn English).
Actually, Germany uses a lot of English: If someone advertises sth. you can be sure that at least half of the words will be English: We now watch "movies" and there are always "Mega-Events" on some "Locations" and so on. I find this trend indeed quite annoying.

What should I explain? The 'proverb' with the nose?
It is no one which is used in Germany, but I wanted to explain with it, that I am the last one, which could be a racist. My friends are disabled, jews, black and whatever can be... and so I would never let somebody call me a racist. (This resulted from the the sense of Mekt-Hakkikt's post, which I seemed to have a little misunderstood). So if everybody would ever call me like this, I would.....so far.
I am normally a peaceful young woman, but if I see a racist, something goes wrong in my head...may come, because a classmate of mine knew too good, how to sign Hitler's cross (he even explained it to the history teacher)...and we were enemys at all. So 'cause I got his racist's mentality better to know than anybody else (he really said some not very nice racial things about me and my family), I see red, whenever I see one of them. ( I hope you understand the sense of the real german proverb 'seeing red').

Originally posted by butana
french easy going?

I meet a few year some french girls, two years then me then (16). but I spoke beter english or greman at my fifth.
because most, YES MOST, french or greman people refuse to learn english.

To be fair, most Americans refuse to learn French or German. :)

And to be more than fair, many Germans refuse to learn French.*g* (not me, I speak enough of it). But English? We all have to learn English at school! It is first foreign language and we HAVE to choose it. Later we can choose between Latin and French, where many still choose Latin.
But at least it doesn't matter which school we are going at.

Argh! I hate French. English is a lot better (otherwise i wouldn't be here LOL). German is ok, but still difficult.

Well, French is difficult but it is a wonderful language if you are able to speak and understand it. But I am perhaps not objective, as I am part French and I think this will apply to any language.

Originally posted by iCe
Argh! I hate French...

AW come on!! I guess it's harder for you Anglo-saxon guys to learn French, which is a latin language, and therefore is easier to learn for people speaking a mother tongue of latin origin, but French is a really nice language.

Obviously not as good as Italian, eh eh... :)

Nice? Ehhh, that's an opinion about which you can think twice. It sounds well, that 's right, but to have to write in it that's horror! The whole accons and the letters which are sometimes put in orders which made no sense for me...*g* English is much better (easilier)and it's good that English is the most spoken language and not French (if I imagine to let ten year-old german students French...that's too difficult for them!They would disappointed give up!).

Some letter order in English also does not make any sense to a German. This is one of the problems of learning a foreign language. :) They do spell and pronounce words differently.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 02-27-2001 at 16:14]

Of course Manjana and Mekt-Hakkikt, that you guys find English easier than French... English and German are from the same Anglo-Saxon origin! :)

I guess that's also the reason why Scandinavian people now how to speak English very well...

I don't know if it's the same for English people learning German though...

In any case, it is much easier to learn to speak a latin language if your own native language is from latin origin as well...
For instance, French/Italian/Spanish/Romanian (Portuguese too Dragon?? ;)) people are advantaged when trying to learn another latin language...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I bet you were British when I saw the post for the first time, Wedge...;)

Turns out you're not far from it... :)

I know, I looked at your profile straight after the "language" post... :)

"Sydney, NSW, Australia"...

Back