Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

Originally posted by Ghost

Why don´t you like the Tie Defender, Advanced and Gunboat?
And why they must not be added to the SWG?
Just they look like any other ship in the Empire army (aside of the shields), but there are some books that have Tie ships with engines

The TIE Advanced is a TIE Fighter that has speed and manueverability on par with an A-Wing, and has weapons, shielding, and hull armor roughly equal to that of an X-Wing. I don't think it makes sense from a design standpoint to have a fighter like that appear out of nowhere, and its also horribly unbalancing - except when the computer's flying the thing.
TIE Fighter makes it quite clear that only two TIE Defender proto-types survived to reach the Emperor (including the one the player was flying), and Zarin's destruction of the production facilities for the fighter is the subject of one of the TIE Fighter missions. There's also the fact that the TIE Defender outperforms the TIE Advanced in nearly every department. While the Missile Boat is a lot more iffy performance-wise, the storyline to TIE Fighter does make clear that its a proto-type fighter that is only being made available because:
1.) Its custom built to take down TIE Defenders, and
2.) You're supposed to be an excellent and extremely loyal pilot.
From the context of the game, you're probably flying the only one in active service.

In short, its not the hyper-drive that I have a problem with. The Assault Gunboat has one of those, and I think the gunboat is a good candidate for inclusion in SWG. The TIE Advanced I don't like because I think its just too good. I don't like the TIE Defender for similar reasons, but I also feel that it and the Missile Boat should be left out because the source material makes it very clear that the fighters can hardly be considered to available in even a limited run.

Originally posted by Ghost

Wasn´t the Tie Advanced X1 ? ;)

Technically, 'Lord Vader's Custom TIE Fighter'.
:p

No idea on how that thing would rate compared to any other fighters in a dogfight since the only thing it ever did was fly down the trench and shoot other fighters in the back.

You need to be Force Sensitive to ignite a lightsaber?, i thought that was some crystals and mechanics parts.
Its a theory that popped up somewhere. Haven't got a clue where it really originated from, but I've spoken with at least one person that attributed it to Lucas. My own personal opinion is more along the lines of what was posted at Starwars.com when I first heard the 'lightsabers channel force' theory - i.e. it really is just crystals and mechanical parts, and the idea that lightsabers require the Force to activate them is nonsense.

Originally posted by junior

Its a theory that popped up somewhere. Haven't got a clue where it really originated from, but I've spoken with at least one person that attributed it to Lucas. My own personal opinion is more along the lines of what was posted at Starwars.com when I first heard the 'lightsabers channel force' theory - i.e. it really is just crystals and mechanical parts, and the idea that lightsabers require the Force to activate them is nonsense.

Maybe it just amplifies it.

No, that's actually one of the most evil little lies that the EU spawned. It's filthy and disgusting and stupid, and it's wrong of us to try to explain it away. Just ignore it, it's inconsequential.

Originally posted by Filler
that got to me too.
apparently lucas told the guy who designed the naboo ships that it was like a victorian era compared to present day where aesthetics are the prime factor in design.

The 'bomber' in the start of ep2 was too much for me :(

The Production Designer took the Victorian Era for the look of Naboo and 1950's Chrome Cars for the vehicles.

Originally posted by LeHah
Another big thing lost is the sense of "realism" in the prequels. Anyone else notice all the ships are sparkling new and shiney? Admittedly, this is before the Empire let stuff fall into decay, but the lack of it gives a sense of gleaming bullshit.
I thought so too, but after having seen Episode II, I actually think Episode's I style was great just the way it was. I like it, because Episode II was a lot less shiny, and presumably Episode III will be even less shiny. This is neat, it gives the series a sense of progression.

Pretty much all the glitter came from Naboo. One could assume that it's just an affectation of their culture.

I agree. Everything else was different I think. (Tatooine- dusty and dirty and beat up. Coruscant- All prefab looking like in Episode IV.)

Confused Star Wars Fan :(

Well, I am admittedly pretty new to the whole Star Wars universe thing. I was always a fan of the original trilogy but didn't "get into it," until the re-releases came along.

Trying to keep up with everything in the SW universe, including the EU stuff, is a headache :(

My one big question is this:

Before Episode II came about (and shattered my preconception of what the Clone Wars were), there was this BIG stink over Boba Fett's armor being the uniform of the bad guys from that war. Mandalorian, right...?

Well, anyway, WHERE WAS THE MANDALORIAN ARMY!? If Jango Fett was the one person to merit "Boba's armor has not been seen since the days of the Clone Wars...," that just suckz.

I know I'm ranting and probably ticking off the hardcore SW fans... but I had to ask where the Mandalorians were. Perhaps they surface in Episode III? I hope so....

Man, this thread has gone on for a while. strayed a bit too. Well the mandalors were before all this. i read this some where i dont remember. either jango was the leader or a member of the mandalorian army. they were eventually wiped out by the jedi and jango is the last one. not a good explenation but its the best i can do since i dont remember the whole article.

Originally posted by Dark_Knight
Man, this thread has gone on for a while. strayed a bit too. Well the mandalors were before all this. i read this some where i dont remember. either jango was the leader or a member of the mandalorian army. they were eventually wiped out by the jedi and jango is the last one. not a good explenation but its the best i can do since i dont remember the whole article.

I read something similar in US PlayStation Magazine in its Bounty Hunter coverage. That story is pretty lame. Everyone was raving about how the Mandalorians were these badasses who gave the Jedi a run for their money during the Clone Wars. Now, all of a sudden, they were in a different war that took place prior? Agh!

I'm pretty disappointed....

:(

Re: Confused Star Wars Fan :(

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Well, anyway, WHERE WAS THE MANDALORIAN ARMY!? If Jango Fett was the one person to merit "Boba's armor has not been seen since the days of the Clone Wars...," that just suckz.
While Jango Fett by himself was cool enough to merit such a reference, it is made rather clear at the end of Episode II that the Clone Wars are only just beginning. So, there's no need to complain until 2005 :).

Re: Re: Confused Star Wars Fan :(

Originally posted by Quarto
... it is made rather clear at the end of Episode II that the Clone Wars are only just beginning. So, there's no need to complain until 2005 :).

That's what I'm counting on :D

Back