Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

Oh? I can't remember that, it's been a long time since I've read the Bantam novels. Do you remember/know whom that statement was referring to?

Luke is talking with Obi-wan through a dream. It's described in the beginning of Chapter 2.

But Ben turned, and the image faded...and in the dream, Luke knew he was gone. Then I am alone, he told himself. I am the last of the Jedi.

He seemed to hear Ben's voice, faint and indistinct, as if from a great distance. "Not the last of the old Jedi, Luke. The first of the new."

Originally posted by Wedge009
Pretty impressive fanfare just for a garrison move.
I assume you mean that was a lot of troops for a garrison.

Well it was, but how about for many thousands of garrisons accross the galaxy? They amassed an army in a staging area (probably the same location to which they have been delivered by the cloners,) and then put them on ships to take them away and spread them out.

Or at least that's the most logical assumption.

Ah, okay. But who are the clones being sent to fight at the end?

I'd assume one battle does not determine the disolving of an entire seperatist movement involving thousands of planets. PLUS, Count Dooku is suppose to be the leader of the movement, and he "escaped" Geonosis.

(God, I hate Episode 2)

You've already stated that several times now...

Yoda stated it was the beginning of the Clone Wars... so they must be fighting something. I just don't understand why the Republic - supposedly democratic and peace-loving (in general, at least) - would take the battle to the separationists before they had even been attacked.

He seemed to hear Ben's voice, faint and indistinct, as if from a great distance. "Not the last of the old Jedi, Luke. The first of the new."
Odd... I just read that bit again last night, and I'm sure it only said, "Not the last of the Jedi..."

Yoda stated it was the beginning of the Clone Wars... so they must be fighting something. I just don't understand why the Republic - supposedly democratic and peace-loving (in general, at least) - would take the battle to the separationists before they had even been attacked.

Because either let the Republic fall or go to war to prevent it from coming apart. Plus, Palpatine was granted emergency power to form and use an army to prevent an uprising from keeping the Separtists from destroying the current order.

Think of it like the American Civil War.

Yoda stated it was the beginning of the Clone Wars... so they must be fighting something.
So it's the beginning of the Clone Wars, that doesn't mean that those troops were being shipped off to fight anyone.

Just on the odd chance someone hasn't figured it out by now...

*AotC SPOILERS!!!*

In both this message and throughout the entire thread.

A 'Democratic and Peace-Loving' nation CAN launch an initial assault, provided they're fairly convinced that there's a strong enough need. Convince that nation that their neighbors are in the process of building up an overwhelming military force, are on the verge of attacking, and feel no need to negotiate, and suddenly the 'Peace-Loving' nation can get downright barbaric.
Think of it as a 'Pre-emptive' attack.
As for who they're fighting?
I thought the end of the battle scenes on Geonosis made it fairly clear that a number of Trade Federation battleships made it clear of the planet. The Geonosians were probably crushed quite handily (since the fighting took place on their homeworld), but the other groups (Trade Federation, Techno-Union, etc...) probably only had a small portion of their military strength on Geonosis. The non-Geonosian military units that we see are largely Trade Federation, and that is explained by the battle droid manufacturing facilities on the planet.
The original theory regarding the Mandalorians and Boba Fett was that the Mandalorians were the clone warriors in the Clone Wars, and their attack against the Republic was defeated by the Jedi Knights. Boba Fett either fought in the wars (from what I've heard, even the novels themselves have conflicting stories regarding Fett's childhood - of course, its probably ALL invalid now...) or refurbished a suit of armor because of their reputation.
Note that the above doesn't exactly agree with Zahn, either, since, iirc, his clones were created by the 'Sparti Clone Masters'(?), and the name Mandalorian is never mentioned in his novels. Pretty much the only single common thread throughout all pre-AotC Clone Wars stories is the idea that the clones were the ones who attacked the Republic.
I don't think Lucas personally has any particular regard for Boba Fett. I'm sure he's not particularly certain why Boba gained such popularity after ESB and RotJ (other than tracking Han, he doesn't really do much in either movie - and his fighting scene in RotJ is rather embarassing), and I think I've read that his decision to include the Fetts in AotC was more or less a nod to Boba's popularity with fans.
In short, in the 'Lucas Continuity', Mandalore is probably just a name with no particular significance.

I think they set Boba Fett up as a fan favorite on purpose -- he was the Empire Strikes back 'preview figure' for the toy line, and he got introduced in the Holiday Special and everything...

Originally posted by LeHah

Palpatine was granted emergency power to form and use an army to prevent an uprising from keeping the Separtists from destroying the current order.

Think of it like the American Civil War.

And/or similar in some aspects to WCIV

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I think they set Boba Fett up as a fan favorite on purpose -- he was the Empire Strikes back 'preview figure' for the toy line, and he got introduced in the Holiday Special and everything...

Lucas keeps saying "I'm making the prequels like I intended whether people like them or not" yet he seems to be catering heavily to the fans by putting Boba and Jango Fett into Episode II and (supposedly) Episode III.

I think he sees it more like "I have a character fans love, so I have to do something with it." Personally, what he's done is pretty damned bleck.

I don't know if anyone has figured this one out yet but Boba Fett is a clone of Jengo. When Obi-Wan was being shown around the cloning facility, the Kameno(sp?) prime minister mention that Jengo requested an unaltered clone of himself. That unaltered clone is his "son" Boba.

Maybe I can help clear things up a bit. The last forty-five minutes roughly of Ep II the Jedi go to the aid of Obi-Wan. Yoda heads out to meet with the cloners. Once the Jedi have enter the combat arena and the remaining Jedi are about to be slaughtered by the droid army, Yoda shows up with a huge army of clones soldiers. These clone troops begin to battle with the droids and are able to defeat the droids. At the end when Yoda says the clone wars have begun, he is referring to the battle against the Separtists. Later, as in Ep III, we will probably see Palpatine using the clone army to his advantage and attacking his political enemies and eventually proclaiming himself Emperor and then using the army he has created to maintain control of the newly formed Empire.

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
I don't know if anyone has figured this one out yet but Boba Fett is a clone of Jengo.
Well I doubt it's that hard to "figure out" since they kinda say it right there.
At the end when Yoda says the clone wars have begun, he is referring to the battle against the Separtists. Later, as in Ep III, we will probably see Palpatine using the clone army to his advantage and attacking his political enemies
Well, the Separatists/Trade Federation are his political enemies.
and eventually proclaiming himself Emperor and then using the army he has created to maintain control of the newly formed Empire.
No big surprises here...

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
I don't know if anyone has figured this one out yet but Boba Fett is a clone of Jengo. When Obi-Wan was being shown around the cloning facility, the Kameno(sp?) prime minister mention that Jengo requested an unaltered clone of himself. That unaltered clone is his "son" Boba.

Maybe I can help clear things up a bit. The last forty-five minutes roughly of Ep II the Jedi go to the aid of Obi-Wan. Yoda heads out to meet with the cloners. Once the Jedi have enter the combat arena and the remaining Jedi are about to be slaughtered by the droid army, Yoda shows up with a huge army of clones soldiers. These clone troops begin to battle with the droids and are able to defeat the droids. At the end when Yoda says the clone wars have begun, he is referring to the battle against the Separtists. Later, as in Ep III, we will probably see Palpatine using the clone army to his advantage and attacking his political enemies and eventually proclaiming himself Emperor and then using the army he has created to maintain control of the newly formed Empire.

NOW I UNDERSTAND THE MOVIE !!!!
THANKS, THANKS !!

Originally posted by LeHah
I think he sees it more like "I have a character fans love, so I have to do something with it." Personally, what he's done is pretty damned bleck.
Asking this is probably a mistake, considering how such discussions usually go, but... why do you think so? Personally, I thought Episode II was great. Far from perfect, it was, but still great.

Originally posted by Quarto

Asking this is probably a mistake, considering how such discussions usually go, but... why do you think so? Personally, I thought Episode II was great. Far from perfect, it was, but still great.

I would imagine that LeHah is concerned about Lucas going too far to include goodies for fans. Yes, its nice to see little things that are obviously thrown in their to appease fans, but iirc, Lucas has pretty much admitted that the only reason Jango was included was to make fans happy.
Considering that Jango is a big part of the AotC plot, that leads to the obvious follow-up question, which is, what got cut so that Jango and Boba could be included?

Originally posted by Quarto

Asking this is probably a mistake, considering how such discussions usually go, but... why do you think so?
Just as curiously, this is the first time I've seen someone complain that a director or producer did something to please the fans.

Someone will always find something to complain about. Even if he/she wanted it in the first place.

P.S.- Episode II was great. So there :p

Back