Signs that the midway is nearing the end of its 90 day warranty

Originally posted by Col.Dom
However, I do agree that it's time to move onto a more "SDF-1," approach.

Hmmm, a carrier with a macross cannon.....sounds like the plasma weapon on the midway to me! ;) Except that it could fire more than once!

i do like the ramming idea though!

*a grizzled veteran is shown looking tense. Hundreds of Kilrathi are shown laboring to operate oar-looking things that lead into glowing racks on the walls while Dekker hammers out a beat on an ancient leather drum. Pan up through the fighter bay to an enclosed bubble at the top of the bridge, overlooking the entire ship, showing a modified Exeter class with an ornate spike mounted on the front end. Wilford strides up, wearing a plumed helmet and a flowing crimson cloak.*
"Ramming speed!!!"
*The Exeter's scoops close, the drum beat in the background quickens... a roar rises from the Kilrathi as their muscles strain under their unkempt coats. The bridge crew tenses as the Exeter rounds on her prey, a straggling, wounded Orca destroyer with much of her armor blown off. The drum beat quickens, the roar crescendoes... Wilford cries*
"Drop the shields and brace for impact!"
The horn crashes into, shatters, and then collapses the carapace of the Orca's aft armor, and matter spews from the edges of the hole into space as the spike is driven yet farther in. Something slimy spews out and spatters the dome, leaving a greasy smear. With a whine of machinery, the "wings" of the Exter swivel around and point forward, and the engines flare with new life as the ship attempts to extract itself.*

Continues welcome.

Originally posted by Meson
DOn't tell the bugs are only looking for protoculture now.... :cool:

Yes

That is what keeps pilots from freezing/exploding in deep space wearing only jeans and a leather bomber jacket :D

Ehh, I remember people biting off their own ears when Privateer Two was *different*. ("AHHH! IT NO REAL!!!!! IN GAME SPACE???? BLOW SELF UP YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!")... imagine how they'd react to the switch between Wing Commander and Wing Commander: Masters and whatnot.

Question raised: would the Invid and the Neph kick each other's asses or would they get together over a drink and come after us?

either way, its brown trousers time, both of them united maybe just to much to handle, whereas the Neph have already given us a run for our money, i'm just waiting for the main Neph fleet to turn up wanting to know what happened to their scouting party:eek:

well, after that thread about freespace 2 i thought i'd try it to see what all the fuss was about, its alright, it'll do as a stop-gap while i'm waiting for the next WC game to come out (looks like i'll be waiting a while :D) but its not as deep as WC (hmm, we seem to discover new weapons conviently regularly to negate problems with the shivans during the war) and doesnt have the character development (the nebula was pretty cool though)

I thought that the Neph force was just a scout party though, IIRC there was some huge ship coming through the worm-hole before it collapsed (the foward tendrils got cut off if i rember rightly) so that would suggest to me that the original Neph force were just scouts and that they didn't expect to find us here

Originally posted by Chernikov
Question raised: would the Invid and the Neph kick each other's asses or would they get together over a drink and come after us?

I think the Invid would annihilate the Neph and then our turn would come. The Invid, IMHO, are the race to be most feared out of all the sci-fi universes. Maybe because I was a kid when I was first introduced the Invid tyranny?

Dunno, they're just scary and way too methodical....

The Invid methodology is debatable, but I havent seen enough of them to be certain either way. However, they seem to have the "Overwhelming Swarm" down to a degree even the Neph have overlooked (200 fighters at once out of a then-expendable carrier?

As for the ship coming through the portal in WCP, I was under the impression that this was merely a collapsed-arm dreadnought which, once it was through, was going to kick our arses royally as it took two or three fresh strikes to kill it last time.

Originally posted by Oggy
either way, its brown trousers time, both of them united maybe just to much to handle, whereas the Neph have already given us a run for our money, i'm just waiting for the main Neph fleet to turn up wanting to know what happened to their scouting party:eek:

Thats what Macross Cannons are for! :D That and the Grand Cannon!

Getting back to the Nephilim, I think what we faced in both WC:p and SO was the beach head of the invasion rather than a scouting force. Their job was to secure a foothold in our space to let the rest of their fleet pour through, similar to the D-Day landings in Normandy.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Col.Dom

But the Grand Cannon is only good for one shot :(

Hmmm... sounds familiar.... ;)

Actually -- I watched the episode when it was used ("FORCE OF ARMS", episode. approx 20 in MACROSS) a couple of times -- the Grand Cannon could be fired more than once. There's a scene where the Admiral is telling his daughter their charging up the cannon for another shot -- and BANG! The screen fritzes. Apparently the aliens -- displaying unusual common sense for cartoon villains -- toasted the Cannon's command center before it could be fired again.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

But...

Hmm. Speaking of Invid+Nephlim... What about the Shivans :D i'm gonna start something awful, aren't I? But wait, look at those games and you can see a strange pattern...

But the Grand Cannon is only good for one shot

The grand cannon was a goddamned over powered flashlight. If you look at it, it just panned all over the sky, toasting ships. It really looked like a freaking flashlight. But the Macross did have similarities to Midway... minus that freaking city... or the annoying teen-female singer... or the japanese-killer-fighting-seizure-transformer-robot-planes-of-death that appear in lotsa vaguely futuristic anime... but that's off topic...

Back