Signs that the midway is nearing the end of its 90 day warranty

Maybe leeching the Lexington boosts some pilots' morale, since most of them didn't seem to like the idea of killing fellow soldiers... but AFAIK, it doesn't make any difference.

--Eder

Originally posted by junior

Wait...

So is there a different FMV that's shown depending on whether you blow up the Lexington or Leech it?
(I know Paulson still dies on board the shuttlecraft, but does the Lexington itself look different?)
Yes, quite.

You can see both is you download Mario Brito's movie viewer (available from the CIC).

Originally posted by Eder
Maybe leeching the Lexington boosts some pilots' morale, since most of them didn't seem to like the idea of killing fellow soldiers... but AFAIK, it doesn't make any difference.

--Eder

I imagine they'd still all die, though. No power means no life support means they just suffocate instead of blowing up.
Though I suppose if Confed could get a transport to them quick enough, they could evacuate the crew.
What do you think the chances are that Seether's gonna mention something about this to Confed soon enough to get the ship evacuated?

I immagin confed is not without engineers!!. I would guess they have emergency backups that would kick in ounce the leech effect wore off and then they could work on restoring power generators. They should at least be able to get enough juice to send a distress signal or fire a beacon.

AD

Mace/Torpedo

If a torp has Antimatter warheads, which would penetrate phase shields (like the Antimatter guns), then why the hell do the Mace Missiles work so much better (at least the SO2 one)??

Lets see..

High-yield Antimatter warhead on guided missile

Tactial Nuclear Weapon on Dumbfire Missile

Hmm! It looks like the Torps should be a good deal stronger. Antimatter vs Nuclear.

Also, it's really sad that Confed ships don't have good anti-capship weapons anymore. Capsuck missiles? POS plasma-one shooter? Where's our good ol' Phase-transit cannons and Antimatter guns? That's where the fun is.

Yes I know PTC was retired for safety reasons, but still, Concordia could waste several cerebus's and a few midways with her fighter compliment and main guns.

The warhead may contain antimatter, but the warhead itself is made of the normal composits. The warhead, not the charge, must get through the shields to deliver the antimatter.

Firstoff, there are multiple types of torpedo warheads. The Mark IV's in WC4, for example, have fusion warheads.

THat said, the warhead of a torpedo matters none in penetrating a ships shields... that's what the lengthy lock is from. Torpedos *skip* the shields.

Maces *don't* skip the shields -- they create an explosion so big that it takes down the shields and damages the ship.

And all this said, a torpedo is does anywhere from two to eight times as much damage as a Mace.

I imagine they'd still all die, though. No power means no life support means they just suffocate instead of blowing up.
Though I suppose if Confed could get a transport to them quick enough, they could evacuate the crew.
What do you think the chances are that Seether's gonna mention something about this to Confed soon enough to get the ship evacuated?

No.

Torpedo Tech

Well, here goes my best chance to make TC close this thread before it totally strays off its original purposes.

I AM BEING STUPID AND TRYING TO GET THIS POST CLOSED! IF I DO THIS AGAIN, BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN TO ME.

I would like to thank TC, because he is quite nice and fair. Thank you all. I hope you enjoy this thread, no matter what topic is being spoken of. I would also like to say that I will never, ever, try and force people to speak of what I want spoken about, because I do not have the power to do so. If my subject is interesting, it will be discussed. I will not continue to be a jerk.

Wow, is this 'Let's blatantly ignore the rules week' :( You guys are making me sad.

3) Due to the near-certainty of "(something) vs (something)" threads stirring up flames/discord, especially if they involve other sci-fi universes, such threads are specifically banned.

Don't do it again.

Thank you.

TC

Originally posted by junior
My guess is he wouldn't need to. They probably made a distress transmission when they took off in the shuttle. Hell, they probably wouldn't even have to do that. I'm sure somebody would go investigate the scene if the Lex simply stopped communicating during a battle.

And in that case, it would have been far better (not just for the crew and pilots of the Lexington but for the Border Worlders as well) if the people who came after the Lexington found it crippled and disabled rather than finding a burnt out hulk stuffed with corpses. As someone said, it would have made the Border Worlders look more criminal in Confed's eyes, especially after all the trouble Tolwyn and co had gone to frame the Union for the destruction of the refugee ship, the supply convoys and the Orlando depot. While the Border Worlders' strike on the Lex was probably justified, seeing as the Lex was trying to destroy them and Confed ships had already mauled the Intrepid, I doubt the Confed Senate would have seen it that way if there had been a huge body count. As it was, the crippling of the Lex end up being a signifcant inconvenience and embarrasment for the hawks, while not giving them a clear cut reason for immediately declaring war against the Border Worlds. All in all, a pretty good call on Blair's part, I think.

Best, Raptor

Leech missiles don't permanently disable ships and starve their crews to death... that would defeat the purpose of a no-kill weapon and make it a truly horrific one.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Firstoff, there are multiple types of torpedo warheads. The Mark IV's in WC4, for example, have fusion warheads.
So they're basically hydrogen bombs?
I hope they found a better detonation method otherwise I hope anyone that comes near a torpedo explosion has *very* good radiation shields.

Of course, fussion is a very good dtonation method, and the readioation problem is mentioned in the novels.

Originally posted by Col.Dom
However, I do agree that it's time to move onto a more "SDF-1," approach.

What? Ramming things and carrying civilians onboard? :D

Originally posted by pendell
(yes, in the novel the Lexington had TWO bays, just like the Midway, one reserved for Black Lance and the other used by regular Confeds)

That's 'cause Forstchy thought the Lexx was a WCII Connie :)

The *bays* are the areas where the fighters are stored, on the left and right of the carrier. Lexington (CV-44) has two...

Originally posted by Bob McDob

What? Ramming things and carrying civilians onboard? :D

HA HA HA! Good one, Bob :D

However, I was thinking more along the lines of introducing a preteen girl with enough pizazz to unite the galaxy with her bubble gum/pop songs :D

Originally posted by Col.Dom
However, I was thinking more along the lines of introducing a preteen girl with enough pizazz to unite the galaxy with her bubble gum/pop songs :D

Britney Spears sucks :p ;)

Back