Signs that the midway is nearing the end of its 90 day warranty

Originally posted by pendell

Actually -- I watched the episode when it was used ("FORCE OF ARMS", episode. approx 20 in MACROSS) a couple of times -- the Grand Cannon could be fired more than once. There's a scene where the Admiral is telling his daughter their charging up the cannon for another shot -- and BANG! The screen fritzes. Apparently the aliens -- displaying unusual common sense for cartoon villains -- toasted the Cannon's command center before it could be fired again.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I have that same episode on DVD (I'm collecting all the new Robotech box sets... can you tell I'm a big Robotech fan too :p ) and after reviewig it carefully, I got the impression that the Grand Cannon blew itself up. Admiral Hayes was a little too gungho and overconfident about that "oversized flashlight," (which it was... if you look at its schematic, it has the funnel top & everything) and didn't care what would happen if he fired a second shot. I always thought the command center blew up from an overload... but then Lisa'd be dead too, huh...?

... and -<Stiletto>-, japanese-killer-fighting-seizure-transformer-robot-planes-of-death is the most accurate name for what they are. I've been trying to pin it down to a name like that for years. Thank you. You are the man :cool:

Ehh, I'm collecting the box sets, and I don't even like Robotech *that* much. :) They're cheap and they fill up a lot of shelf space, though... two big plusses for DVD-crazed people.

Grand Cannon - big flashlight thingy that destroys ships.
Cooool!

Bad place to work, however, considering there were only two known survivors of the resulting bombardment (Lisa/Misa and whatsisname the bad guy in Sentinels).
Its planet based, so you wouldn't see one in space, but it might be conceivable to create a heavier surface version of the crystal retrofitted to the Midway. Any thoughts on how plasma might react with an atmosphere?

Freespace - first story was more fun, IMHO. Second was written with assistance from professional writers, but created more questions than it answered. Nothing quite beats making a run on a cap ship while anti-fighter beam weapons and flak bursts are going off all around you, though.
And, of course, character development was non-existant. Wing Commander is the only series to feature character development as a regular feature. X-Wing Alliance had it (although the story hadn't quite reached an end when the game ended), and Tachyon had it, of course. But character development is one of the schticks of Origin's space combat sims.
I find it rather odd that Star Lancer had no development whatsoever.

X-Wing Alliance had tonnes of character development! First your character is developed by finding part of a TIE fighter, and then by finding the space stick of doom, and then you get a jug of space wine... and so on and so on until your eyes bleed.

Originally posted by junior
Its planet based, so you wouldn't see one in space, but it might be conceivable to create a heavier surface version of the crystal retrofitted to the Midway.
Heavier = hates gravity. The bigger you make something, to more it hates not being in space.
Any thoughts on how plasma might react with an atmosphere?
Yeah: it won't.
Freespace - first story was more fun, IMHO.
Story? Oh, that little thing. Yeah, they ripped that off of Prophecy.
Second was written with assistance from professional writers, but created more questions than it answered.
And that's the opposite of a bad thing.
Nothing quite beats making a run on a cap ship while anti-fighter beam weapons and flak bursts are going off all around you, though.
The death of space sim popularity has its good points. Like how it mercifully spared us from Freespace 3. And do you know what killed space sims? The horrible Satanic triad of FS2/XWA/SL which all sucked but were hyped to fuck.

Originally posted by Frosty

Heavier = hates gravity. The bigger you make something, to more it hates not being in space.

It also means that you can hook it up to a pre-existing power grid the size of New York if you so choose (among other things). There are perks to building that sort of thing on the ground.

Yeah: it won't.

Meaning that atmosphere has no effect on plasma, or that you think a ground based plasma gun is bad, or both?

Story? Oh, that little thing. Yeah, they ripped that off of Prophecy.

Lets see...
Powerful alien forces come out of no where and make a line drive for earth. Gee... Sounds like an original Prophecy idea...
NOT!
Bugs as aliens have been around as long as anyone can remember. They're hardly a new thing. In reality, the Shivans bear a greater resemblence to Saberhagen's Berserkers and the Arachnids from Starfire (fun pen and pencil build-your-own-galactic-empire game that later managed to acquire its own sci-fi author - the arachnids preceded the author, however) than to the Shadows and the Nephilim.
The only real gimmick in Freespace may have been the shield on the Lucifer, but its hardly a Prophecy rip-off.

And that's the opposite of a bad thing.

How so? Most people I've heard from don't care for the plot to FS2 (game reviewers being pretty much the sole exception). As far as story was concerned, all that was there was a set-up for an add-on or third game which will never come (due to Volition being snapped up by a competitor to Interplay).

The death of space sim popularity has its good points. Like how it mercifully spared us from Freespace 3. And do you know what killed space sims? The horrible Satanic triad of FS2/XWA/SL which all sucked but were hyped to fuck.

Uh-huh.
I'll be the first to say that Starlancer was poor.
X-Wing Alliance was a so-so single-player Star Wars game.
But by and large, Freespace 2 is generally considered the best space combat sim out there.

Originally posted by junior
Meaning that atmosphere has no effect on plasma, or that you think a ground based plasma gun is bad, or both?
I think it's quite obvious what I was replying to.

This next part is great since you just run around chasing your own tail, all the while thinking it's me.
Bugs as aliens have been around as long as anyone can remember.
You're really focusing on this bug thing a lot, considering how I didn't say anything about that.
They're hardly a new thing. In reality, the Shivans bear a greater resemblence to Saberhagen's Berserkers and the Arachnids from Starfire than to the Shadows and the Nephilim.
I didn't mention the Shadows either, bucko ;)
The only real gimmick in Freespace may have been the shield on the Lucifer, but its hardly a Prophecy rip-off.
What's tragic is that's the only cool part in the whole game.

So really what you're saying is that FS isn't a Prophecy ripoff, but a ripoff of a bunch of other things. Oh, my bad. Even in that case, the point still stands, FS doesn't have a story, it has a chain of events. Apparently they figured that they could leave it up to the works they plagiarized to tell the story for them.

How so? Most people I've heard from don't care for the plot to FS2 (game reviewers being pretty much the sole exception). As far as story was concerned, all that was there was a set-up for an add-on or third game which will never come (due to Volition being snapped up by a competitor to Interplay).
Because it leaves room for more, in fact you said so right there yourself. Now since we can't expect anyone to know the future, that little bit at the end there about Interplay's competitors is really irrelevant.
But by and large, Freespace 2 is generally considered the best space combat sim out there.
No it isn't, that's just one of those little fun-quotes that people who don't have any actual information to contribute (people like you,) like to spit out in order to sound knowledgeable.

Originally posted by Frosty

I think it's quite obvious what I was replying to.

Perhaps to you. But I'm still a little puzzled. Why are you so hesitant to clarify?

This next part is great since you just run around chasing your own tail, all the while thinking it's me.

You're really focusing on this bug thing a lot, considering how I didn't say anything about that.

I didn't mention the Shadows either, bucko ;)

Shadows were mentioned in a prior thread on this same board. No reason to leave them out. Its just as important to kill the unstated things as it is to kill the stated ones.
And the 'bug' similarity between the Shivans and WCP was not the only thing I mentioned.
Nor are the Berserkers bugs (which is what the Shivans seem to most closely resemble in temperment). However, similarities with the Arachnids (seeming hive mentality, difficulty in communication, etc.) are undeniable.
So in what ways does Freespace relate to WCP as opposed to something out there that preceded them both?

What's tragic is that's the only cool part in the whole game.

So really what you're saying is that FS isn't a Prophecy ripoff, but a ripoff of a bunch of other things. Oh, my bad. Even in that case, the point still stands, FS doesn't have a story, it has a chain of events. Apparently they figured that they could leave it up to the works they plagiarized to tell the story for them.

Nearly every sci-fi space combat sim out there is a rip-off to a certain extent or another. Accidental or not, WC Kilrathi are Niven's Kzinti. It hardly makes the game or plot less, however.
Freespace itself is an excellent game. It plays well. It flys well. It has solid missions. It doesn't have character development, but it does have a story.
After all, a story is merely a 'chain of events' that has been strung together.

Because it leaves room for more, in fact you said so right there yourself. Now since we can't expect anyone to know the future, that little bit at the end there about Interplay's competitors is really irrelevant.

The problem with the plot in FS2 is that, instead of getting the first volume of a series, we end up with chapter 1. All sorts of questions get raised throughout the game, and precious few of them are answered. I don't mind having a few floating questions at the end of a story, but I do like to have a number of them resolved.
FS 2 doesn't even bother to do this.
And the ending is rather anticlimactic.
As for the future of Freespace, iirc, the agreement had been that Interplay owned the rights while Volition would get to make the next game. That was before Volition got bought up. That agreement was still in force, and Volition has put the chances of making another Freespace game at pretty close to nil.
It might happen, but it probably won't.

No it isn't, that's just one of those little fun-quotes that people who don't have any actual information to contribute (people like you,) like to spit out in order to sound knowledgeable.

Once again, No. While I generally do not frequent the big gaming sites such as Gamespot, I do hang out in many different spots. Whether those locations are game related or not (and most are not), invariably when the topic of space combat sims comes up, Freespace 2 is the only one people are happy to recommend.

Come on guys. knock it off. alright, FS2 isn't as good as WC in terms of the plot development, but its not that bad, its definately one of the better space sims out there. don't get all offended i'm not having a go, but there's a risk of this developing into a "vs" thread

you sure frosty? there's a fair few that i know of, but it depends on what you number you consider to be "not that many"

Originally posted by Oggy
Come on guys. knock it off. alright, FS2 isn't as good as WC in terms of the plot development, but its not that bad, its definately one of the better space sims out there. don't get all offended i'm not having a go, but there's a risk of this developing into a "vs" thread

Okay.

Argument killed.

And what Frosty said in regards to numbers of space combat sims - he's right. There aren't many out there. In fact, the only recent one that I can think of is Independence War 2.
Contrast that with pretty much any other genre, and you notice the difference.

Another Sign....

Ha ha! This one's a knee slapper!

A sign that the Midway is nearing the end of its 90 day warranty?? WHEN IT CHANGES ITS NAME BACK TO WILLIAMS/BALLEY ARCADE!

HAHAHA! HAHAHA! Get it!?

Oh... I crack me up :cool:

actually, I dont get it!

But that probably is because I have no Idea what williams/balley arcade is!:D

Yes, it can be that AD, or just Col.Dom speaks bullshit as always
but wait a minute, is a post with out the word HELLCAT

Originally posted by AD
actually, I dont get it!

But that probably is because I have no Idea what williams/balley arcade is!:D

Williams/Balley Arcade was the original name of the video game company we know today as Midway (makers of the Mortal Kombat series, among other arcade hits). Midway (the video game company) did revert to Williams/Balley Arcade for a time but soon went back to Midway. Sheehs, huh?

Originally posted by Ghost
Yes, it can be that AD, or just Col.Dom speaks bullshit as always
but wait a minute, is a post with out the word HELLCAT

... very funny :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
X-Wing Alliance had tonnes of character development! First your character is developed by finding part of a TIE fighter, and then by finding the space stick of doom, and then you get a jug of space wine... and so on and so on until your eyes bleed.

Just like Prophecy, no?

Back