Selling my Shrikwrapped Kilrathi Saga!

Thanks. :)

Here in Germany it is nearing 1:00 o'clock in the morning (under a cloudy, rainy and dark sky) and I think I am going to bed.
See you tomorrow (well, from my point of view).

It made me think a little bit...
this post may be a little bit touchy, but I kind of pity the people who would spend that much money on some materialistic item.
Perhaps it's the intrinsic value of the item, or perhaps something else, but right in the other side of the globe millions of people are starving. Many more are killing each other and for several, they're still questioning whether they can live to see tomorrow.

I am from Indonesia, and it kind of ranks pretty low in the perception of the world. I don't know what Westerners or other people might think, but just think... is it right to spend that much money ($500 dollars or more) on such an item, while others can use that money to feed their household for a whole year?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with spending that kind of money on a game, if that's what you feel like doing. Don't try to make your fellow posters feel guilty.

Your point is valid. I see quite often items on ebay that seem to the extreme as far as price. Things like selling debris from the Seattle earthquake for instance, is very rediculous, the most rediculous thing is the person actually paying for debris when you can go out in the back yard and collect all the rocks and dirt you want for free!
But the thing to remember is, a die hard collector who has the resources, will pay the price if they want the item bad enough.

RFB

Well... I don't mind if people spend resources to get what they want. But at least there should be some... well... consciousness of the other people... mostly those who are unseen or unheard of... that some people are suffering.

But take this point:

People who spend hundreds, even thousands of US Dollars just to by Massively Multiplayer RPG accounts of experienced (and riched players). I read this on a Computer Gaming World article two years ago... and what's the point of wasting that much on something which is virtual?

Originally posted by TheFraix
It made me think a little bit...
this post may be a little bit touchy, but I kind of pity the people who would spend that much money on some materialistic item.
Perhaps it's the intrinsic value of the item, or perhaps something else, but right in the other side of the globe millions of people are starving. Many more are killing each other and for several, they're still questioning whether they can live to see tomorrow.

I am from Indonesia, and it kind of ranks pretty low in the perception of the world. I don't know what Westerners or other people might think, but just think... is it right to spend that much money ($500 dollars or more) on such an item, while others can use that money to feed their household for a whole year?

You are right. But when you have yourself everything OK, you never stop to think that kind of questions. That is sad and no one can denie that. Here were things pretty mess about 60-year ago after WWII. We hold against soviets, but our country paid heavy price. But the situation has changed during last 56 years. It has changed a quite a lot, but we younger generations are still told the rebuild and we who live in succesing country(sometimes I think most of my friend are real a**holes, when they say that athor's problems are not ours concern)still understand what it is to live in a poor country. We here call it "Talvisodan hengeksi", Winter war's spirit. The same spirit that helped us rebuild and our pilots keep our sky clear(outnumbered 1:30 they flied with late twenties planes and drop count was 1:32 for us)and win the war, we were never occupied.
I didn't want do any morale teaching but I allways think that main reason for the succes was that we had very strong feeling beeing one nation. Rich people walked to front alongside with the poor, that is what I mean.

I must say that you Americans are really fortunate.

Indonesians, in the other hand, is facing their worse crisis (or perhaps, crises) ever. We've lost our identity... cultural values... even some of our freedom.

In my opinion, Americans especially the Europeans who came at first were pioneers and they had a large land to cultivate and produce from. Then came more and more people from different ethnic group and race... and yet most of them manage to live together as a people and a nation. It is also undeniable that America is the most influencing country in the world, not to forget in giving some of the world's problem too. And then they had a two century start.

But Indonesians are really different. We started as a group... perhaps a confederacy of hundreds (and perhaps) thousands of local ethnic groups. We have the largest number of islands compared to any other country, and our east to west ends stretch as far as the USA (exclduing Hawaii of course). But we started 56 years ago as a former conquered people. We gain our independence... but decades later our independence was somehow lost.

-

Perhaps I've stretched too far?

Well, some may indeed be in fortunate environments, but realize this Fraix, there are also many people here in the USA that are homeless, living on the streets, digging into garbage bins for food, freezing their behinds off during the winter cause they have no where to go or good winter clothes, many looking for work and cant find work, kids going hungry and living in flop houses. In every society, there are the fortunate, and the poor. I cant even begin to imagine what its like in a poor country. And I wouldnt attempt to analyze what its like on a daily basis. But I look at the unfortunate here in this country and thank God I have what I have. One thing to remember, your alive and maybe tomorrow will be a day of good fortune, you have to keep your spirit up and keep faith things will get better for all the people.

RFB

I have to admit when I first heard that people pay high dollar for developed Diablo2 characters, I really thought that there had to be a better way to spend one's money. But then again: I am no better. I pay money for WC games, I already own, just for having them.

I recall a matchbox car from 1969 being auctioned on ebay, starting bid was 3,000.00 bucks (US). If its historic, you bet there will be high bids on the item. I would not be suprised in a couple years that WC items, especially the KS set start going up and up.

RFB

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I have to admit when I first heard that people pay high dollar for developed Diablo2 characters, I really thought that there had to be a better way to spend one's money. But then again: I am no better. I pay money for WC games, I already own, just for having them.

Ok paying money for D2 characters seems to go a bit too far (and is a bit stupid if one considers that you could cheat, as well)

But I think the whole discussion is false. Each day when we drive a car, we use fuel that is lost forever and which could be used for so many different things. While we eat at MC Donalds, a lot of people, mostly children die in the third world. But what should we do? I mean, where should we start saving money, and where should we stop? What is ok, what is wrong, is it right to drive a car, but wrong to play Wing Commander?

I mean no. Even if we saved the 50 Dollars for a new WC game and sendt the money to the red cross, we wouldn't change anything for the miserable situation in the third world.
We shouldn't forget, that the money we give away when we buy a WC game goes back to the state, there is a VAT, Origin itself pays tax and so on. This tax is then used by the government. If we really want to change the world, we elect an government that uses the money it received through our taxes in a wise way. This would mean to give 3rd world countries fair possibilities to trade with us, not claiming the money back that they own us and so on.

I think that there is absolutely no reason why we should stop playing games in our spare time, if we at the same time try to change the situation of the poor countries.

Indeed, and it will continue to go up. Im just glad I have all my copies now plus backups (in case wife decides to use them against me!).

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
Indeed, and it will continue to go up. Im just glad I have all my copies now plus backups (in case wife decides to use them against me!).

RFB

I have never played WC KS, so I am a bit curious about what is so special about it? I know of the better MP3's , but have they changed other things (apart from the Windoofs compatiblity) or have they included a better manual? Is the game difficulty otherwise unchanged?

There seems to be a new nice manual. Optional cockpits and the "full speed" key was implemented in WC1/2.
But Sonntag, you are right. I do not think that we should live deliberately a miserable life, only to show sympathy with the poorer parts of the worlds. As long as we do not forget about the other world and remain thankful for what we have, we should also be allowed to enjoy our things.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
There seems to be a new nice manual. Optional cockpits and the "full speed" key was implemented in WC1/2.
But Sonntag, you are right. I do not think that we should live deliberately a miserable life, only to show sympathy with the poorer parts of the worlds. As long as we do not forget about the other world and remain thankful for what we have, we should also be allowed to enjoy our things.

Well the full speed key was the thing I always missed most (wasn't it invented in Privateer?) But the graphics were not modified, right?

Other than what you mentioned about the changes, there are a few things that are benificial in KS compared to the original versions. For one, the games seem to run much smoother, and controls seem to be more responsive. I like the fact that I can use my digital joystick with it. The printed material is excellent also. I just like the fact that I can click a shortcut and play WCI and II and III without the need for a dos boot!

RFB

Back