Rapier Redux

And here's my take on the Confed dress uniform. Having worn service dress most of my adult life (blouse, tie, uniform coat) a tunic seems a lot easier to deal with, both in everyday wear and maintenance. I've logged thousands of hours ironing uniform shirts that aren't even visible when I wear the service coat. Plus you've got the cutout in the turtleneck so you aren't choking on a tie all day long.

Also, do we know WHAT Tolwyn was knighted for, and when?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 186
I've always most partial to the WC2 style service and dress uniforms. Any chance you could do those. I especially like the dress uniform, with the white accents and rank insignia on the collar.

Also, do we know WHAT Tolwyn was knighted for, and when?

We don't know specifically, but based on the fact that he's a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB) my bet would be it was for the Enyo Engagement. He had achieved the necessary rank, Captain, by that point and it was one of the Confederation's noted early war victories.

That SWC Tiger's Claw looks really great actually. I have never seen it before, since I didn't play the game at all. Very cool.

That SWC Tiger's Claw looks really great actually. I have never seen it before, since I didn't play the game at all. Very cool.

It doubles as your carrier ship in Armada, too - see this recent newscreenshot:

ARM15.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet, is different still in the game itself.

(Comparison done by LOAF some indeterminate length of time ago...)

Attachments

• carriers.jpg
    carriers.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 309
To me it looks like these differances are more because of techical problems with the engine then that is what made intentional different.

Still playing around with the Tiger's Claw markings, and, just for fun, here's my P-51 for a (rough) size comparison.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 233
  • compare1.JPG
    compare1.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 303
  • compare2.JPG
    compare2.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 234
  • compare3.JPG
    compare3.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 309
And just one further analysis, since I was curious...

Doesn't seem like old Concordia could handle these in her little ol' hangar openings :)

Attachments

• A17.jpg
    A17.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 277
  • A172.jpg
    A172.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 226
Hey Klavs, thanks for the desktop. I've been looking for something like this to replace Howard's WW2 Broadsword screencap

If that is a hornet, then it needs the winglets near the cockpit to complete the effect.. otherwise it just looks a bit like a NASA space plane.. pretty durned cool though!

Is there any chance you could render this out at 2560x1600? It looks fantastic and would make a great addition to my 30" monitor. There's very little WC artwork at that resolution.

Gorgeous Rapier, Klavs! What's in the drop tanks, by the way? This one planning on a long flight without the scoops? (Might make sense for an Alert-5 intercept, I suppose)

i always thought that was an opption that should have been added to the wing commander games to add more fuel to the fighter to fight longer and they look great

The Hornet looks quite different that way but still like a Hornet. The cockpit looks a bit off from this view but I guess that this is still WIP so I will wait for things to come.

i always thought that was an opption that should have been added to the wing commander games to add more fuel to the fighter to fight longer and they look great

You are right, drop tanks would make a great addition to gameplay--let the player trade missile slots for more afterburner fuel. It's a very clean thing that could be added without confusing people (like some of the later 'fancy' missiles do--I'm still not sure what a coneburst is...).

You are right, drop tanks would make a great addition to gameplay--let the player trade missile slots for more afterburner fuel. It's a very clean thing that could be added without confusing people

I think Starlancer actually did this.

I'll be perfectly honest: although I own several copies, the only time I ever actually played StarLancer was once when I visited Digital Anvil.

Back