Rapier Redux

The Scimitar looks pretty massive compared to the Rapier and Hornet.
I would have imagned that the Rapier and Scimitar would be more similar.

Else its a very well done fighter. Oh and are these missiles the light torpedo from Prophecy or do I mix things up?

Actually, according to Claw Marks, the Scimitar is a larger fighter than the Rapier II in terms of both length and mass:

Claw Marks said:
Rapier II:
Length: 24 Meters
Mass: 13.5 Tonnes

Scimitar:
Length: 25 Meters
Mass: 16 Tonnes

that still looks like more than a 1 meter length difference between the two models in the picture.

I don't think any attempt to make dimensions scale consistently across fighters will ever work quite right (and that's no one's fault).

I don't think any attempt to make dimensions scale consistently across fighters will ever work quite right (and that's no one's fault).

True, I appreciate it. I did consciously make the Scimitar larger than the Rapier. The scales may change again.

And I did try to make my torpedoes look like the Prophecy torpedo, because I like the idea of a bulky platform studded with electronic doohickeys to break through the phase shielding rather than what looks like just another missile.

Also, I did warn you guys at the beginning of the thread:

"Not trying to change cannon or retcon anything, just playing"

I should probably make that my signature.

hehe... I think we all realize what you are trying to do with the project.. It's just turning out such cool results that we all have additional input to suggest.

It's definitely not a burn on your work, the fact that everyone has something to say just proves that there is massive interest in your project!

The hornet still looks wrong though ;)

It's definitely not a burn on your work, the fact that everyone has something to say just proves that there is massive interest in your project!
I agree. I just wanted to know if these where the actual models or if you did the design yourself. It wasn't meant to be a critic.
You are doing a wonderfull job.

No worries guys, it can just get a little heated in here, is all.

Found some canards I liked.

The wing lasers are toast though, sorry!

I was sitting in an A-4 cockpit this weekend and it just really felt awesome to be sitting in such a small powerful aircraft. Definitely an inspiration for this Hornet.

Very small useful load but fast, maneuverable and fun as heck to fly! Could barely get my legs in though, not for us tall guys.

Attachments

• F36.jpg
    F36.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 295
Now that Hornet is a true thing of beauty. The thing I really like about your models is that they are more practical than the original ones but still retain the original styling. I would instantly recognize this as a Hornet, even without the long wing lasers (which I always thought were a bit flimsy). I noticed a couple of recesses evenly spaced under the nose, are those where the laser cannons are?

Thanks Sylvester, yes, the laser cannons are paired under the nose forward of the nose gear.

I'm developing some rules for these ships. All designs must have:

1. Intakes for the engines when they are breathing air
2. Some kind of grill that acts as the ramscoop
3. RCS Thrusters
4. Large internal volume for fuel.
5. Some kind of heat radiator.

It's fun working these into the existing designs, using existing scoops and such.

This applies to ships like the Dralthi too, though the Kilrathi have some different ideas about where to put things, to put it mildly.

Here's a few more shots of the Scimitar. She's a little bit smaller now. Added a pair of wing flaps (non busted)

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 300
Lengthened the probes on the wings so that even without tanks, I'm reminded of the original hornet.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 300
Klavs,

I really like the Scimitar. I had a similar idea awhile back which I summarized as a Hellcat-like design (the thick wings and the vents) with the engine intake set up of the Centurion. This fits pretty close except you only have pods up top instead of on the bottom.

Klavs,

scimitardraft001.jpg

This is kind of what I was talking about. Granted the drawing isn't very good, and reflects my lackluster artistic skill, but regardless. The idea would be for for the wing-leading edges to have vents like the Hellcat-V, but on the and bottom sides due to the Scimitar's leading-edge shape; as well as intakes on the top and bottom of the fuselage similar to how the Centurion's are set-up. Of course the drawing is a rough sketch, and the exact proportions aren't exactly worked out.

I'd recommend a one-seater since in WC1 there was nothing to suggest it was a twin seater

Nachos

Nice, looks like a Wildcat contender. Nice and clean.

Here's a Scimitar update...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 371
I know you said you wouldn't do it.. but what If I provide you with a suitable raptor sketch? It'd be totally neat to see the completed set.

raptorsketch.png

something like this would probably fit your above style pretty well.. it's a quick sketch though, so if you need something more detailed let me know.

Back