524 KB · Views: 493
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    507.4 KB · Views: 519
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 415
Great Rapier!

... but the man looks kind of scary in the thumbnail--the red makes it look like he doesn't have skin and we're looking at some kind of muscle astronaut. :)

Fantastic work - now you just need to chop the nose off and add a gattling gun and you can tie it into the movie also! (No! No! Kidding!)

Fantastic work - now you just need to chop the nose off and add a gattling gun and you can tie it into the movie also! (No! No! Kidding!)

I don't see why a small elongated 'skinny' version couldn't be mounted *under* the nose. Maybe even dual versions.

Technically though the movie fighter just isn't the same spaceframe etc. They're two different fighter that share the rapier name so there isn't a real need to mesh the designs. I do think it would be interesting to see though

Cheers guys, thanks for the compliments! The flight suit is red, that's about the only element from the movie I'm incorporating.

All my Paladins are Scotts, not French. And, awesome as David Warner is, and I like my Tolwyns with 100% Mcdowell!

I do think it would be interesting to see though

Sounds like something that maniac Kruger would come up with. Speaking of which...

Attachments

• landreich2.JPG
    landreich2.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 345
  • landreich.JPG
    landreich.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 455
Sounds like something that maniac Kruger would come up with. Speaking of which...

Hehe awesome... Though not quite what I was thinking. So there you have it. You've inspired me to get out a pencil. Just for the hell of it I've combined elements of the WC1 Rapier and the movie Rapier in this quickie sketch.

The movies stubby wings move forward into an upturned version of the forward fins. I sort of borrowed the films cockpit and turned the engines with the short rear wings into the upper-fins/engines. And then the game Rapiers wings get straightened a bit and the end fins are turned into a down-turned section at the end... a bit of creative license since I figured it looked better. Took me a few tries to get the body proportions looking acceptable.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ADs_rapier800x600ish.jpg
    ADs_rapier800x600ish.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 3,766
Hehe awesome... Though not quite what I was thinking. So there you have it. You've inspired me to get out a pencil.

Cool! Looks kind of like the Hammerhead from Space Above and Beyond married to a Taiidan Interceptor from Homeworld.

Glad I could get your creativity going, keep it up! I want to see more!

Very cool--it does look like a Hammerhead!

That said, we should probably remember that the problem with the movie Rapier isn't that it doesn't look like a Rapier... it's that it *isn't* a Rapier.

The other ships in the movie changed their appearance but had the same purpose--the Tiger's Claw is still the home carrier, the Broadsword is still the bomber, the Snakeir is still the Kilrathi carrier and so on. The Rapier, on the other hand, doesn't have the same role in the story--it's the tired old workhorse instead of the brand new prototype.

If we had to go back and 'fix' the movie to bring it more in line with the games then the thing to do would be to change the name--make it the Corsair or the Scimitar or something.

I worry that Chris Roberts views the Tiger's Claw and the Rapier as parts of Wing Commander's "signature" now and that we'll see them in any eventual prequel no matter what that means for the existing continuity.

I always wondered, why they changed the movie's ships so much. Especially the rapier, which is - imho - more than ugly.

That said, we should probably remember that the problem with the movie Rapier isn't that it doesn't look like a Rapier... it's that it *isn't* a Rapier.

The other ships in the movie changed their appearance but had the same purpose--the Tiger's Claw is still the home carrier, the Broadsword is still the bomber, the Snakeir is still the Kilrathi carrier and so on. The Rapier, on the other hand, doesn't have the same role in the story--it's the tired old workhorse instead of the brand new prototype.

I agree :). I even mentioned it a few posts ago! Strangely, the rear upper engines always did remind me of those wierd acceleration absorbers or whatever they were on the WC1 Scimitar.

I always wondered, why they changed the movie's ships so much. Especially the rapier, which is - imho - more than ugly.

Chris Roberts mentioned to me fairly recently that he still wouldn't use the original ship designs in a Wing Commander remake--he considers them too 'anime' looking and has a more realistic appearance in his mind for the franchise. That's likely what was driving him at the time.

(The fact is that we're a very small group of people who want to see the original designs. It was probably telling that the artists working on Super Wing Commander were asked not to refer to the original game when designing their ships.)

I spoke to Chris Roberts about his ideas for a Wing Commander relaunch a year or so ago and he mentioned he wanted more

I agree . I even mentioned it a few posts ago! Strangely, the rear upper engines always did remind me of those wierd acceleration absorbers or whatever they were on the WC1 Scimitar.

Almost entirely unrelated, but I want to point out that I *love* how the animators on Wing Commander Academy used the acceleration absorbers on the Scimitar to express character.

Chris Roberts mentioned to me fairly recently that he still wouldn't use the original ship designs in a Wing Commander remake--he considers them too 'anime' looking and has a more realistic appearance in his mind for the franchise. That's likely what was driving him at the time.
Well, I did think about this already. Especially the original color schemes are way too colorful for a movie like this. But they could have at least altered them. Or mainly use Wing Commander 3 ships, which would look quite perfect if they'd be updated a bit.

The WC3 Kilrathi ships have a truly unique design, imho.

Cool! Looks kind of like the Hammerhead from Space Above and Beyond married to a Taiidan Interceptor from Homeworld.

Glad I could get your creativity going, keep it up! I want to see more!

Very cool--it does look like a Hammerhead!

Thanks for the comments guys. I actually thought about the Hammerhead resemblance too once I was done. There's a few details that aren't comming accross completly in the scan. There's a bit of detail in the nose that's obscured. I wish I was better with 3D modeling.

Stick a fork in this one!

I like the nose art so much (inspired by a random google image search) I may do a whole series of 'em.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    606.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    552.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    559.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 341
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    597.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    673 KB · Views: 313
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 402
Looks great! Love the nose art.

... but the rank should be higher, Angel was already a Captain in WC1 when the Rapiers arrived. :)

Back