Plunkett-class cruisers

Originally posted by Nebula
Originally posted by Supdon3
And we cant forget we have seen the Claw go toe to toe with a cruiser and win.

That was in WCM?

It shure wasnt in the games, going by how easily the Claw took damage in WCI with 2 fighters shooting with guns at it, I would doubt it would last long in a serious battle against other cruisers, at least in the games.

RFB

Originally posted by Nebula
Yeah, and of course, the Confed cap ships do not fire in WC1...

That in itself is so puzzling. We see the Claw fire its weapons in the ending scene in WCI, apparently in the WCM, it battles against other cruisers...but when it is faced with 4 or 5 fighters throwing guns and missles at it in the game, it does nothing but cry out for help!! ????? Then it likes to turn into your path and WHAM!! Shure was fun tho dodging the Claw while shooting down bogies!! I guess the guns were either useless or perhaps the gunner couldnt figure out how to use the guns controls.

RFB

hay does it say anywhere else besides the wc3 manual that the kilrathi dreadnought is 22,000 meters long maybe there is one to many zeros. also all through wc1 secret mission 1 they kept saying that the sivar ( planet killer ) ship is a dreadnought a massive ship but every where i go every body sayes its only 103 meters long. something is not right. last if the midway, vesuvius a plunkett crusier attacked a kilrathi dreadnought who would win.

No telling on the measurement errors, with all the other conflicting data thats out there.

3 against 1? I would say that Kilrathi ship would have a run for its money, and more than likely loose!

RFB

Yes, the 22 km long Kilrathi dreadnoughts are a major plot point in the novel "False Colors". Their history is explained somewhat...

The Sivar dreadnought in WC1 is small because it's *just* a large gun -- it's not a massive ship-to-ship type dreadnought.

Id put my money on the Dreadnought. Its powerful enough to take out a single ship pretty quickly, Midway, Vesuvius, Plunkett or otherwise. All it has to do is concentrate fire on one, then the next and finally the third and they are toast.

It would be more strategic (i think) to engage the dreadnought with dozens of fighters... CapShips would get their *ss kicked, and btw: i think that 20 bombers can do they same amount of dammage a corvette or cruiser can.

It would be vital to know if the Kilrathi solved the problem with that gun being to slow to track starships. If they haven't then I wouldn't bet on the Kilrathi (except as principle perhaps) ;)

I was very astonished too to learn that the WC1 Sivar was so small, after Maniac told us that it was the biggest Kilrathi he had ever seen. OK, it was just in his dreams so that's the explanation probably...

Except that Halcyon refers to it as "large" (before the first confirmed sighting), whereas Blair, after the Bifrost mission, refers to it as "huge, bristling with weaponry" (and the guide too, refers to it as a "large capital ship"). While the WC3 Dreadnought most certainly is, and looks, to be 22 kilometres long, I would have to guess that the Sivar was in fact a 1030 metre-long victim of a typo :). Which would also explain why the PTC was so huge that it had to form the keel of the huge Confederation class ;).

Halcyon could think anything he likes... but Blair saw it, and I believe I mentioned his description below.
And LOAF, that's the whole point - only one source gives a number, and it's all too easy to accidentally skip a "0". Admittedly, the fact that they also list its mass as 1,720 tonnes makes it less likely that it was an error - but come on, the weapon mounted on the Sivar is supposedly so large that it forms the keel of the Confederation class. But if it had been small enough to mount on a 103 metre ship..

Well how big is the "keel" of the Concordia? The Sivar dreadnought didnt mount the gun, it WAS the gun. 103 meters could be big enough

Two sources -- the stats appeared in an CGW insert back when SM1 was initially released <G>

That said, it's *just* the gun -- the Concordia goes on to provide space to service 120 fighters... 103 meters is a *huge* gun.

Back