Plunkett-class cruisers

Chameleon102

Spaceman
I mean....WOW.

The Midway is the greatest and most formidable ship in the Confederate arsenal.......MY ARSE! Those Plunkett's would have taken out the Kilrah wormhole in about 12 seconds.

If the Cerberus' plasma cannon was a source of fear for the enemy (and frequently the Confed pilot), then what must they think of the Plunkett. And it's got enough anti-fighter/torpedo turrets to look after itself.

I understand that the Midway carries way more fighters than the T.C.S Tereshkova et al., but is it not clear to everyone else that the Midway would lose in a cap-ship scrap?

What is Confed playing at, sending a little squadron of Vampires through a JP when they could have just sent a Plunkett, or even a Murphy?

I must say that since the Midway has Capship missiles and heavy ion cannons as well, plus 252 fighters and bombers she is superior. And the Vesuvius class ships had 16 anti-matter guns as well as many laser turrets and 400 fighters. But that said the Plunkett was very powerful.

The Midway isn't *designed* to fight enemy capital ships directly... as the old saying goes, if you're stupid enough to let the enemy ships come within range of your carrier, you *deserve* to die.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
(...) as the old saying goes, if you're stupid enough to let the enemy ships come within range of your carrier, you *deserve* to die.
Who said that again? Admiral Tolwyn?

Or perhaps some other great general, like Baron LOAF? ;)

No.....Loaf didn't say that.....He wasn't alive during WW2.....If he was.... it woyld have been over in a matter of weeks. He would have had the BL come in and take out Hitler lickedy split.:)

The Plunkett is one impressive Cap ship, that's for sure. And as it has a (small) fighter complement of its own, I think it is one of the toughest Cap ships in Confed fleet. Still, 252 fighters and bombers against one cruiser? I'll stick with the fighters...

Originally posted by Random Demandom
so witch ship is bigger the visuvies or the Midway or the plunkit
The VESUVIUS-class is the longest, the MIDWAY-class the most massive, and the PLUNKETT-class the most heavily armed.

OPhoenix: I think you mixed the Midway and the Vesuvius up.
From what I know the Vesuvius weighs 250,000 tons and is 1,600 meters long, whereas the Midway weighs 200,000 tons and is 1,830 meters long.
So the Vesuvius is the most massive and the Midway the longest.
I am not so sure about the Vesuvius' length but the other stats should be correct.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-10-2001 at 19:00]

Well the Midway would have incorporated the technilogical improvements of the Vesuvius class, but its less massive because it is two sections together while the Vesuivius is one big flight deck with ship built around it. It's mass is pretty equal all the way down while the Midway grows in size down the end, part of its length comes from that tail thing sticking out of the bridge tower.

So... if the Vesuvius or the Midway were in service during the Kilrathi War, could they beat a Kilrathi dreadnaught in a ship-to-ship combat? (sorry for my english)

I dont think so, considering the Dreadnought is about 11 times longer than either of them. Cant imagine by how much it out masses them.

The Kilrathi dreadnought isn't very massive at all. But that's irrelevant - you don't send carriers against a dreadnought, you send fighters and bombers from a carrier against a dreadnought. Carriers themselves should not attempt to engage other capships.

Yeah but about 20 times more weapons than the Midway or Vesuvius and a lot more ship to hurt before it is destroyed.

The Dreadnought outmasses, outguns, over powers, and outclasses the Midway and Vesuvius in every way. The only advantage they have is that they are more easily built.

Yes... I believe you´re right... in ship-to-ship, the Confed carriers would lose.
But does anybody know if the Vesuvius is "only" 1600m long?
In WC4, she looks so big in the final scene (the losing one).

Back