Plunkett-class cruisers

He asked about the Tiger's Claw specifically... but pre-Tiger's Claw Bengals are 625 meters, post Tiger's Claw Bengals are 690 meters.

What I don't understand is in ClawMarks, it infers that the Tiger's Claw is the first of the Bengal class:

"2645: The second Bengal-class space carrier, the Kipling, is launched"

In addition, there isn't too much room for having any Bengals being built before its design authorisation in 2642 and the launch of the Tiger's Claw in 2644.

So doesn't that mean there were no Bengal classes before Tiger's Claw, and that it was 700m long, and all subsequent Bengal's were 690m?

The Tiger's Claw is the first of the new version of Bengals -- since they're *Bengal* class, you can tell that there is, at least a TCS Bengal before the 'Claw... it entered service in 2619.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Tiger's Claw is the first of the new version of Bengals -- since they're *Bengal* class, you can tell that there is, at least a TCS Bengal before the 'Claw... it entered service in 2619.
While this is correct here -- and in MOST cases -- it should be pointed out that historically the first ship of a class has not ALWAYS been the nameship for a class.

I dont know, it only seems like that because everyone assumes its so. Sure we say the TCS Midway and the TCS Vesuvius, and supposedly we know there was a TCS Hades, but we never saw a TCS Bengal, TCS Concordia (of the Concordia class) TCS Ranger, TCS Plunkett, TCS Murphy and so on. Its likely they all started with the name of the first ship being the name of the class but we dont know proof positive.

Remeber, if don't see it, it does not necessarily mean that it is not there. Some of those classes you mentioned are old. For instance, the Ranger-class dates back to the dawn of the war. It can be presumed that the TCS Ranger was either decomissioned, destoried, or in another part of space at the time we meet the Victory in WC3.

[Edited by Meson on 04-27-2001 at 03:33]

Originally posted by Meson
Remeber, if don't see it, it does not necessarily mean that it is not there.
Similarly, we don't know that is IS there, or that the nameship was first. I think that was the point.

Some of those classes you mentioned are old. For instance, the Ranger-class dates back to the dawn of the war. It can be presumed that the TCS Ranger was either decomissioned, destoried, or in another part of space at the time we meet the Victory in WC3.
Absolutely true. However, again, we have no definitive way of knowing that it was the first ship in the class to be assigned a hull number or commissioned into service. Same for the others mentioned in previous messages.

Remeber, if don't see it, it does not necessarily mean that it is not there. Some of those classes you mentioned are old. For instance, the Ranger-class dates back to the dawn of the war. It can be presumed that the TCS Ranger was either decomissioned, destoried, or in another part of space at the time we meet the Victory in WC3.

[Edited by Meson on 04-27-2001 at 03:33]
]

we dont even know if it was or wasnt in that monstrous group of rangers before we goto kilrah. and sometimes nameships get renamed while under construction because something happens that they want to honor

At least two of those carriers in that monsterous group were Concordias... (the Invicible and the Hermes).

Bengal II would indicate an entirely new class of ship -- the Tiger's Claw is just a modification of the existing Bengal design.

As for knowing whether or not those other ships have nameships... when the shipslist was comissioned by Captain Johnny, he said I should include nameships for everything -- that's the only indicator we have, though.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Err, we actually do see a Concordia class TCS Concordia -- in Actino Stations.

Eh.... I dont recall them specifiying its class in Action Stations. Unless i missed it, which is possible thats just speculation.

It was the *first* of a new class of carriers... thus, it was Concordia class. It only makes sense...

I know it was a new carrier, but it was one of several, only a couple of what was supposed to be built. But did it say that it was the first of the new carriers or one of them? There was the Ark Royal and several others IIRC.

The Concordia confusion hurts me no end...

There's obviously the Confederation dreadnought of WC2.
There's the Victory we see in WC3.
There's the 'supercruiser' we seen in WCM.

I recall LOAF saying that the WCM Concordia gave him an impression of how the AS Concordia would look.

Now you're saying that the AS Concordia was the first of the WC3 Victory line?

Head hurts...

Note that I've never read Action Stations.

The Victory in WC3 was a Ranger class carrier so it doesnt count. One less thing to worry about:) The Lexington in WC4 was a Concordia class ship and the same as what LOAF says the Concordia in AS was (it was destroyed).

I think he meant that ships in WCM would look like ships in AS, as they were primarily battleships where carriers werent as important cause fighters couldnt hurt a capship at the time. I dont think he specified the Concordia from AS.

What I said was that the WCM Concordia reminds me of the *battleships* seen in Action Stations -- the Malta and the North Carolina and such.

Yes, we're told that Concordia (AS) is the first new carrier.

The Victory is unrelated -- it's Ranger class. But the Concordia in AS is the first of the line that includes the Lexington and Princeton in WCIV.

The fact that you all try to combine the Movie with the book ' Action Stations ' while trying to converge them with the rest of the games is sort of funny.

Where, I ask, are you getting the information that the Tiger's Claw was a Bengal II? Wing Commander Academy cartoon?

And do you realize, that having the Sivar at 100 meters, would make it 20 meters less than a Venture corvette, remember, it can't just be a big gun, it needs engine, reactor, bridge, basic crew accomendations. Conventional wisdom begs that you all realize it as a typo.

Where does it say the Victory is a Ranger class?

[Edited by Gagarin on 04-28-2001 at 10:13]

The Claw marks state the Venture as being 80m long, thus the Sivar would have 20m more. :)
Still, I agree with you 103m is (quite) a bit short for the Sivar...

Back