Now don't go postal with this

Originally posted by Dougie
Maybe you could explain why the Kilrathi look different in the movie as opposed to in the games?
That one is fairly easy to explain. Advancements in technology allowed Chris Roberts to portray the Kilrathi more as he originally envisioned. That's right -- the movie Kilrathi are closer to his original idea than what we see in the games. Now, CR has stated that the movie Kilrathi are STILL not completely there, that they didn't turn out quite as planned, but fact remains, the various technologies at the time of each mainstream game didn't allow for what he wanted.

At any rate, this is a rather irrelevent point. This thread is about continuity; the look of the Kilrathi is strictly an appearance issue.

If you REALLY want to get picky about it, theres been numerous accounts that Star Wars infact copied many things off Dune. It actually makes quite a lot of sense.

Lucas was influenced by Frank Herbert's book, but I wouldn't say copy.

Then again, all modern loves stories are more or less adaptations of Romeo and Juliet, which in turn would have been an adaptation of something else, probably a mythological story.

Actually, it is. Ever heard of Pyramus and Thisbe? They were forbidden to be together by their folks, and so talked through a narrow slit through the walls separating their homes. They decided to meet and Thisbe (the girl) got there first and saw a lion with bloody teeth there, and she ran away into a nearby cave, dropping her cloak in the process. When Pyramus came, he saw the cloak that the lion had smeared blood on and, sure Thisbe was dead, he killed himself. When Thisbe came out of the cave, she saw Pyramus dead and killed herself, as well.

At least I think he based it off that story. :)

Two Iasons... Ah, I still don't like that. Here's how I look at the Iason incident:

At 0450 hours on 2629.105, the Odysseus-class exploratory-research vessel TCS Iason, under the command of Cmdr. Jedora Andropolous, encountered an unknown ship (which turns out to be Kilrathi B'ru'k-class merchantman) in System V343. Andropolous orders full shields and a readiness standby level 2. Two Ferrets attached to the Iason, piloted by Captain Izmuti and Commander James "Paladin" Taggart are sent out to commence scans on other possible ships in the area, but are shot down by these suspected ships. The Commander began hailing procedures according to the first contact protocols designed by the Committee for Interaction with Alien Intelligences. After twenty-two minutes, the Kilrathi ships open fire on the Iason, destroying the ship and all hands on board. The Iason's lifeless hulk is dumped in the Hyperion System as a challenge or warning.

Okay, it's not perfect, but I see it sort of that way. See what I mean by combining the two stories. Because if you believe that there are two Iasons, you might as well believe that Confed declared war on the Kilrathi twice, that there are two Custer's Carnivals, two Claws, and, hell, even two Bossmans.

I'm not saying anyone's neccessarily wrong, but the two Iasons explanation is a little silly, IMHO.

Okay, that's enough ramblings from me.

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 07-12-2001 at 10:55]

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Maybe you could explain why the Kilrathi look different in the movie as opposed to in the games?
That one is fairly easy to explain. Advancements in technology allowed Chris Roberts to portray the Kilrathi more as he originally envisioned. That's right -- the movie Kilrathi are closer to his original idea than what we see in the games. Now, CR has stated that the movie Kilrathi are STILL not completely there, that they didn't turn out quite as planned, but fact remains, the various technologies at the time of each mainstream game didn't allow for what he wanted.

That's a strange thing for him to say, given that WC1 and WC2 were entirely animated (i.e., drawn from the imagination). If anything, I would think animation would be the easiest way to do a bizarre alien race. If he wanted them to look like chihuahuas on steroids then, all he had to do was draw them that way!

I wonder if it's anything like George Lucas meaning for Greedo to have shot first, he just accidentally filmed it differently the first time. :-`

Gimme the WC1/2 cats all the way, baby!

-The Gneech

Originally posted by The_Gneech
That's a strange thing for him to say, given that WC1 and WC2 were entirely animated (i.e., drawn from the imagination). If anything, I would think animation would be the easiest way to do a bizarre alien race. If he wanted them to look like chihuahuas on steroids then, all he had to do was draw them that way!
Odd as it may seem to you, it still doesn't really have much affect on the point. The cats look different all the time.

A transcript of a chat with Tim Zahn:

<TimZahn> The idea of the Imperial Planet was from GL. I merely gave it a name, which he chose to accept. Again, an unexpected honor

So I was mostly right. Zahn took the planet mentioned in early ROTJ storyboards and called it Coruscant.

Mmmm does that humble pie taste good?

Well, first off, I could just call or email Steve Perry and get Zahn's number from him and call/email Zahn directly to end your petty middle school fantasies but I won't since Perry is busy writing with Michael Reeves, I think.

Mostly right is also somewhat wrong. It's a half a victory and that only counts when you're fighting half-imagined foes.

As for humble pie, that was idiocentricly stupid and base, not to mention insulting. ;) Tell me how that bit of crow tastes with that "Somewhat right" BS. (That was me being playful BTW, I'm doing all this with a grain of salt)

Lucas came up with the centralized cityscape of Courscant, the basis, but he also approved Zahn's name. He could've easily turned it away. Also, it was in Lucas's early storyboards, like you said, which is something I hadn't heard before.

Finally, the fact theres something on a website certainly doesn't convince me. If I put up a website with all sorts of disinformation on Lucasfilm, does that mean it's true? Rarely take the internet for face value, since it's just the electronic version of the Citizen's Square in England: You stand on a box and rant at people about whatever you wanr.

[Edited by LeHah on 07-12-2001 at 12:09]

Three important rules that will help you get through life without me hurting either one of you.

1) STOP BEING MEAN TO EACHOTHER ABOUT STAR WARS.
2) STOP TALKING ABOUT STAR WARS.
3) STOP CLUTTERING AN OTHERWISE GOOD THREAD WITH STAR WARS.

I'm just saying, LOAF. I'm dropping the subject now, since I hate threads that go too far off the subject. It just irks me that some people take websites as cannon; it makes... Ghost Rider ...come out...

< :mad: VeGeNcE!>
Hush! Quiet Ghost Rider!

Originally posted by LeHah
I'm just saying, LOAF. I'm dropping the subject now, since I hate threads that go too far off the subject. It just irks me that some people take websites as cannon...
Yah, and some people even take Web sites as canon, too.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist; the bickering about spelling, previously in the thread, was still fresh in my mind!) :)

BTW, whoever took care of it, thanks for the fix on the "Professor Emeritus" misspelling....

[Edited by OriginalPhoenix on 07-12-2001 at 12:35]

I was talking about the string arangement called Cannon! :D Really!

additional sources:
http://www.peak.org/peak_info/mlists/info/prequels.html (an interview from a sci-fi mag).
Fact remains that you said that GL gave him the word 'Coruscant', where as actually it *was* Zahn who created it (my original argument). Of course it had to be approved by LucasFilm, the novels all have to be approved by LucasFilm. And it's sad that your argument is so thin that you have to resort to claiming that someone decided to hoax a 2 1/2 hour interview with over a dozen different people participating.
If you want to discuss this further then please e-mail me at dougie@mailbox.co.uk otherwise tais-toi

LOAF:

would it not be better to say something like the name Iason is and Andropolis (sp?) name i.e. something like 'our family has continued the line for generations'? Just a thought, and now agreeing to disagree.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You know, I agree -- it's utterly impossible for two people with the same name to be captain of the Iason. It's as crazy as two people named John Adams or George Bush being president of the United States. Or as impossible as there being more than one mayor of Chicago named Richard Daley. It just can't happen!

I do believe John Adams and George Bush would be more common names than, Jedora Andropolous. We need at ask someone Greek.

Either way, whats the timeframe for this renaming of a so called second ship Iason? Why Iason? It got destroyed x amount of years ago in a sector by some alien. Why don't we just send ANOTHER ship named Iason, who happens to be skippered by a person with the SAME NAME as the first Iason, into the same area of space where the first Iason got destroyed.

Well, I can see how that stupidity could occur. Confed would be run by the people who say that that the two Iason theory is canon.

To all those that subscribe to this idea, that I must say that if you can expect the reasonable man to believe that trash, its insulting to my intelligence.

I do believe John Adams and George Bush would be more common names than, Jedora Andropolous. We need at ask someone Greek.

We see another Andropolos in the WC universe... Guthrig (the psychiatrist on WCA, who also wrote the tiemline in Victory Streak).

Either way, whats the timeframe for this renaming of a so called second ship Iason? Why Iason? It got destroyed x amount of years ago in a sector by some alien. Why don't we just send ANOTHER ship named Iason, who happens to be skippered by a person with the SAME NAME as the first Iason, into the same area of space where the first Iason got destroyed.

- There's only one Iason -- with two captains of the same name.
- The two incidents occuered in different areas of space.
- The second one occured *DURING THE WAR*... you know, when the Kilrathi routinely blew up things.

Well, I can see how that stupidity could occur. Confed would be run by the people who say that that the two Iason theory is canon.

To all those that subscribe to this idea, that I must say that if you can expect the reasonable man to believe that trash, its insulting to my intelligence.

So... there's no possible way you could be insulted, right?

(Which is to say, this thread was nice and pleasant until you started being stupid. Say it with me now... DON'T BE STUPID!)

"(Which is to say, this thread was nice and pleasant until you started being stupid. Say it with me now... DON'T BE STUPID!)"

LOAF do you also have to resort to name calling?

"- There's only one Iason -- with two captains of the same name"

Only if we subscribe to your '1 Iason' theory (what am I saying? I believe there was one Iason, albeit one incident). ClawMarks and victory streak say that the Iason was 'utterly destroyed'. It didn't say 'destroyed but salvageable'.

You can bet LOAF, that if Origin was ever to make an official timeline beyond the one that came with WC4(calendar?), they wouldn't dare subscribe to such theories as they'd just get laughed at.

LOAF do you also have to resort to name calling?

Erm, I'm simply replying to the post in which he called everyone who disagreed with him an idiot. :)

I don't think I've *resorted* to anything in this discussion...

Only if we subscribe to your '1 Iason' theory (what am I saying? I believe there was one Iason, albeit one incident). ClawMarks and victory streak say that the Iason was 'utterly destroyed'. It didn't say 'destroyed but salvageable'.

Much like the Lexington in Fleet Action?

Eh, LOAF, Iason (Jason) was the guy who led the Argonauts. The Argo was the ship.

Sorry, just had to clear that up.

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 07-12-2001 at 16:15]

Back