No new WC game= boredom, need something to hold me over...

Originally posted by Bob McDob
BTW, while we're on the subject of games, I just gotta ask about Starlancer. Is it Very Hard(tm)? While it sounds like my cup of tea, I'm hesitant because I understand there are lots of missions like in WC4 when you don't defect. :D I mean, I have trouble with just about any defensive mission, so I can imagine what would happen here... [/B]

I loved the game but would liked to have had some interaction with other pilots besides in flight. Yes, there are lots of defensive missions. Mostly anti-torpedo types. I would recommend it though, with the right loadout you can win.

Starlancer is a pretty good game. Very nice engine, crappy story. I agree with the pilot interaction thing too. It had no mood. You just sort of flew missions. Seems most space sims lack the mood of Wing Commander. As already mention Starlancer, and Tachyon had little interaction too. The bit that it did was pretty cool but still nothing that really made an impact.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Just because the game engine changes and the ships look different on our computer screens does not mean they are different in the Wing Commander universe itself.
Yet we seem to agree that the WC1 and WC2 Rapiers are different models. ;)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Yet we seem to agree that the WC1 and WC2 Rapiers are different models. ;)

I never said that they weren't different models. :(

[Edited by WildWeasel on 05-28-2001 at 22:55]

In my opinion, physical things MATTER in sci-fi universes, therefore, different apearance, not just because of the engine, it also affects the universe.

Originally posted by Mav23
In my opinion, physical things MATTER in sci-fi universes, therefore, different apearance, not just because of the engine, it also affects the universe.

The explain the Kilrathi, who've looked different in every WC game that had a kat presence (recycled comm VDU displays in WCP don't count).

Originally posted by Bob McDob
(...)

BTW, while we're on the subject of games, I just gotta ask about Starlancer. Is it Very Hard(tm)? While it sounds like my cup of tea, I'm hesitant because I understand there are lots of missions like in WC4 when you don't defect. :D I mean, I have trouble with just about any defensive mission, so I can imagine what would happen here...

Most of the missions are pretty easy but there are some defend missions which are very very frustrating, especially because you can't skip the in-game cutscenes (and there are a lot of them) and thus have sometimes to re-watch them for 6 times or so.

Originally posted by Death

The explain the Kilrathi, who've looked different in every WC game that had a kat presence (recycled comm VDU displays in WCP don't count).

Okay, I can accept changes in appearance due to characters with improvement with technology, but ships that look very different AREN'T the same ships...

Like the Klingon in Star Trek, In TOS they are barely Human, but with the movies and TNG they have that alien look.

they actually liked the Romulans more, but didn't have the money for all of those pointy ears :)

And the Romulans looks like the Vulcans because they are related.... and all looks like the Humans because the cheap FX.... and all looks like that silly specie form of that TNG episode when a bald alien tells that all of them are genetically mutated and mixed DNA trillions years ago.

Okay, I can accept changes in appearance due to characters with improvement with technology, but ships that look very different AREN'T the same ships...

Is there something wrong with you? I made it very clear a few posts ago that my point was not that those games use the same ships. I know that Wing Commander II and Wing Commander III use different ships! My point was that the technology in those ships isn't that different.

[Edited by WildWeasel on 05-29-2001 at 13:08]

Yes, there's definetely something wrong with me :)

I wasn't referring to you though, I was on different grounds...

A couple of things...

What happened to the Morningstar? Wasn't the jump in time between WC2 and WC3 only 4 years? I find it hard to believe that a state-of-the-art fighter like the Morningstar would be obsolete after only 4 years of service. I'm not sure about the jump in time, so please correct me if i'm wrong.

When I look at the Rapiers from WC1 and WC2, they are definetly different models, although they have some subtle similarities. That leads me to conclude that the Rapier in WC2 is a refitted, upgraded version of the Rapier from WC1, and not a completely new ship designed from scratch.

Is a strange-weird thing called *Just because we can´t see it, doesn´t mean that doesn´t exist* :)

Maybe is in some backwater planet....BTW who wants to fly with a Nuke in your belly ????? :D

Good point ghost... that was a black ops prototype, a wing of which were flown by (god knows why) Maniac. Perhaps after Maniac's wing's display of ineptitude they abandoned the project..("Well it can't be Marshall... look at his killscores!" Imagine Tolwyn saying that... hehehe)

I guess i never thought of that, Ghost. Good point.

But still, don't you think a not so long ago state-of-the-art fighter would still be in active service? Again, like you said, maybe it was, and it just wasn't assigned to the Victory.

[Edited by Glenford Doofus on 05-29-2001 at 23:40]

well, whatever happened to the Bearcat? It couldn't of been THAT long in between WC IV and WCP...

I believe the Morningstar was a top of the line fighter for a while after SO2, and the Bearcat is still in use in the 2680s. The Rapiers in WC1 and WC2 are the same fighter, just different models. IIRC, the WC2 Rapier II was designated F-44G, so the WC1 Rapier was probably designated F-44A (they were the first off the line, after all).

Back