No new WC game= boredom, need something to hold me over...

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
hello, being that it doesn't look like there'll be another WC game for QUITE awhile (though even LESS time now, being that I was saying the same thing 3 years ago :)), what would be a good Space Combat Sim to hold me over? I need one with good story, at least average graphics, and cool charactors. The only other space combat sims I have other than the WC games are Tachyon: The Fringe, X-Wing Alliance (which I had to remove from my system due to constant freezes), and Priv 2 (which I can't run because of Win ME and DOS). Please let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks :)

But you should be able to run P2 in Windows :( Plus, with some buggering around you *can* drop to DOS in WinME

TC

hmmm, I'll ask about that, but NOT HERE. I'm looking for suggestions for other games, so PLEASE don't let the topic drift THIS early in the thread :)

(TC, you can let me know how in the Tech Support forum, I'll ask there, sorry, I just REALLY need something to hold me over!)

[Edited by Mav23 on 05-26-2001 at 22:38]

This is every sci-fi game I can think of, other than the ones you stated :):

Freespace
Freespace 2 (WC ships available)
Independence War Deluxe (capship corvette combat; realistic physics)
Starlancer (by Roberts, of course; WC ships available)

X (similar to Privateer, I understand, except much more freedom)

Allegience (Massively Multi-Player Space Combat Sim; by Microsoft :D Has ships from Fighter to Crusier)

Strategy Games
Homeworld (3D interface, C&C in space; easy to use; WC ships available)
Homeworld: Cataclysm (sequel)
Star Trek: Armada (like Homeworld, except with Star Trek; see WC Invasion)

Starfleet Command (pretty good game; deals with capship combat; lacks real character, but I recommend it. Get the bug fixes, though, and the interface is confusing to some. There are a good deal of custom ships on the web; go take a look)
Starfleet Command II (features Interstellar Consortium & Mirax Star League)

Please note I don't own any of these except Starfleet Command (though IW & Homeworld looks good)

I already own some of the other ones you mentioned, but GREAT research :)

Does Starlancer have a good plot? I thought about getting it, being that "The Man" himself was involved :)

Originally posted by $tormin
will the game mods work if all i have is the demo version of the game?

I can't speak for all, the WC Invasion will NOT work with the Armada demo. The full version game is required.

I don;t think that Wing Commander Fleet Action will work with HW Demo either, but I haven't tryed. Homeworld is a great game and there are many mods available for it. The WCFA mod, the Star Wars fleet acadamy, Sacrafice of Angels (STDS9/Dominion War mod), Beyond the Final Frontier (ST Original Series Mod, Honor and Glory (ST The Motion Picture MOD), Babylon 5 Total Conversion (B5 mod centered around ea v. Mimbari war), Movements of Fire and Shadow (B5 mod centered around EA v. Shadow conflict), Great Wars (has 3 versions, 1. Narn v. Centauri 2. Army of Light vs. Army of Darkness/Shadows 3. Clark v. Sheridan), Star Wars Episode 1, THe Dilgar WArs (B5mod centered around EA v. Dilgar war), Space Above and Beyond, Wild Universe (Contains ships from all different universes), and many others

Anyone know where you can get working copies of the HW mods and a mod manager, none of the ones i can find work. Fortunately, Fleet Action is an exception; it works beautifully.

Is Fleet Action complete yet? I knew that there were a bunch of conversions done and available but i didnt know if it was completely finished yet.

could someone PLEASE answer my question about Starlancer?!?!

(yes, i know I am VERY impatient :))

I havent played it but the reviews i read about it were glowing. THey really liked the story and the game.

It should be. YOu can try EBworld.com. Thats about the only place online i can think of. Usually i'd check Best Buy or Comp USA. Comp especially has lots of older games in stock.

Hmm. All the reviews I read of Starlancer (both of them) said, basically, that it was a good game, but nothing exceptional. As I understand, it involves sending thousands of enemies your way until you either kill them or die. :) Production values, and overall storyline, however, seemed to be solid.

BTW, I'm getting all this from reviews... ^_^;;;

The title on this board made me think of somethin. Considering we have all these teams of people making WC add-ons and whatnots, shouldn't we put a "Make a New WC Game!" right above our (sucessful) WC Music petition?

Yeah, it's been done a 1001 times but now that we have a successful format with the music petition to bounce off of, maybe Mr LOAF can paste us another pretty petition?

I realize that EA will be far harder to impress but I refuse to give up, esp with the steam we're generating with the music petition!

:D

Err...cr*p, the cat's out of the bag >.<...

I got some email from The Fatman this afternoon:

"Please congratulate the CIC participants on hanging in there for 3 years. I am thankful for their enthusiasm, and we are pleased to announce that, because of their petition, we are making plans to release a Wing I music CD."

So, yeah, we did something that we ended up getting what we wanted out of it! :D

Thank LOAF for goin out of his way to move the petiton I started on the CZ board to something more "offical" and thus making it more accessible.

Back