No new WC game= boredom, need something to hold me over...

Four years isnt that long for the development and testing of a new fighter. In 2665 they see the WC2 Bloodfang, begin developement of the Excalibur. By 2669 they have a new Bloodfang. Doesnt seem to hard to me.

But by your logic, development of the new Bloodfang doesn't begin until the Kilrathi hear of the Excal, which they probably don't until it blows up Kilrah.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Four years isnt that long for the development and testing of a new fighter. In 2665 they see the WC2 Bloodfang, begin developement of the Excalibur. By 2669 they have a new Bloodfang. Doesnt seem to hard to me.

Why wait for your enemy to build a super-fighter when you can build one NOW? :D

Hang on. The Excalibur was designed to do what the USAF F-22 is meant to do. Take on anything and everything the enemy can cough up and waste it (nothing specific in other words). I personally don't think the WC3 Bloodfang was designed specifically to take down the Excalibur. Rather considering the tech improvements between WC2 & 3 Thrak probably said to his technicians I want a brand spanking new toy to play with. Secondly if the Bloodfang really was meant to counter the Excalibur we should've seen more of them, particularly since there was at least one flying when the Behemoth died. By the end of the game the Victory had a couple of Excaliburs so I see no reason why the cats couldn't have at least one squadron available. Remember that at the same time they were pumping out a lot of Sorthaks and K'Ha'Hafs and the Victory Streak indicates that they are new as well.

LOAF said the Excalibur was designed to fight the Bloodfang. Thats it, not vice versa. Im saying that if it was, then it was designed to fight the one in WC2 and that the WC3 Bloodfang is another new fighter, with nothing to do with the Excalibur whatsoever.

I disagree. The Excalibur was designed to waste the WC3 Bloodfang. The Morningstar or Sabre are adequate matches for the WC2 Bloodfang. Besides why would they need to go to the trouble of making the Excalibur such an advanced craft if they've targeted the WC2 Bloodfang? The Excalibur has all the new gear specifically to deal with the improvements the Kilrathi were assumedly implementing in an improved version of the Bloodfang, the WC3 one.

The WC2 and WC3 fighters are completely different though.

I don't think so. The maximum yaw, pitch, and roll, the number of decoys, and the armor thickness are the only statistics that radically change between Wing Commander II and Wing Commander III. Just because those games portray ships differently does not mean that they change in the Wing Commander universe itself.

Just because those games portray ships differently does not mean that they change in the Wing Commander universe itself.

Sounds like heresy to me. Perhaps if you could expand on that a bit.:)

Two things... if the Excal truly was designed to match the WC3 Bloodfang, then Confed Intel clearly knows a lot about the WC3 Bloodfang. So... why is it that they feed their pilots with rumours? If they know enough about the WC3 Bloodfang to design a ship specifically to counter it, then why doesn't the Victory Streak give us stats for the Bloodfang?

Second... the development of the Excalibur was no secret. The Kilrathi knew about the fighter long before Flash arrived on the Victory. Whether they knew its capabilities is a different matter entirely, of course - but the Kilrathi have Intel too...

Im saying that if it was, then it was designed to fight the one in WC2 and that the WC3 Bloodfang is another new fighter, with nothing to do with the Excalibur whatsoever.
That means you're also assuming that the Bloodfang in WC2 is brand new when we first see it, and that the WC3 Bloodfang is as well, and that they aren't spotted until we see them for the first time.

[Edited by Frosty on 05-28-2001 at 08:32]

Originally posted by Quarto
You know, I really don't get that... why is it that people who can't even build proper ships are always the ones who invent cloaking devices?

Because a cloaking device is a tool for evil guys. They use it to attack undefended targets, often loaded with orphans or civilian refugees or to make evil surprise attacks during a peace conference. Of course, when we the good guys then employ that evil technology, we only use it for good. :)

Originally posted by Nemesis
Sounds like heresy to me. Perhaps if you could expand on that a bit.:)

Just because the game engine changes and the ships look different on our computer screens does not mean they are different in the Wing Commander universe itself.

Just because the game engine changes and the ships look different on our computer screens does not mean they are different in the Wing Commander universe itself.

I think I follow you. Yes, in general, graphics and in particular scale have to be taken with a grain of salt (or many grains). I originally thought you were referring to things like armor and shield strengths.

Originally posted by Mav23
WOW, has anybody here actually PLAYED Starlancer? :)

Yes, I have. The game graphic are great. Story line is okay. Two problems: You can't replay missions unless you save the game before you start the mission. Also, no character interaction. So if you are expecting a WC type game you will feel cheated.

Originally posted by Kilroy
Maybe they just focus on other points of technology. Like you build the strongest, most perfect engine for a car, but the car itself is just a piece of junk...

There are lots of people who say iD Software is like that... :D

BTW, while we're on the subject of games, I just gotta ask about Starlancer. Is it Very Hard(tm)? While it sounds like my cup of tea, I'm hesitant because I understand there are lots of missions like in WC4 when you don't defect. :D I mean, I have trouble with just about any defensive mission, so I can imagine what would happen here...

The two are radically different looking. They arent the same.

Perhaps we're starting to have different conversations. I'm not saying that both games use the same ships or that they use the same ship designs. My point was that the only ship statistics that radically change between Wing Commander II and Wing Commander III are the maximum yaw, pitch, and roll, the number of decoys, and the armor thickness. If you'd look at the numbers, you'd see that all of the other statistics basically remain the same. Strictly speaking inside the Wing Commander universe, the jump in technology between those games is rather small.

Now, if we're talking about the real technology used to make the games themselves, then there was a big advance in technology. That was a part of my point. Just because the game engine changes does not mean that anything changes inside the Wing Commander universe.

Back