Making WC DVD-case covers (1. try)

humm? I'll have to play the intro again but I think the Dolby surround is still good. The video is better of course but I don't konw what "bit" it is.

Great work as always Wuqked :)

I changed my cover to say "DVD Video footage" rather than "16-bit video footage", and I agree keep the Dolby bit cos that still stands. Since I couldn't find an identical font I took letters from different sentences elsewhere to form the words, took longer, but was worth it.

I'm still having problems with brightness/contrast, still took dark, but yet it prints out perfectly...

still took dark, but yet it prints out perfectly...
Yes, that's quite normal that the printed version looks better / different from the original one. My own printer prints darker than the colors look on screen. But I won't adjust colors in the pics anymore, cause every printer looks different. - So if you think it prints good, just leave it. Every one has to adjust his printer anyway, and changing colors etc too much might make it look worse :(
To the text: I deleted the DOS part and left the "16-bit movies with Dolby surround sound".
"DVD movies with Dolby surround sound" - hmm, sounds OK as well... What do you say? :)
Since I couldn't find an identical font I took letters from different sentences elsewhere to form the words, took longer, but was worth it
I wanted to do so myself :D

@Shades2585: I made a DVD-Cover for the 6 CD version as well now.

When the text part on the back of the DVD is done, the following covers would be ready for upload this weekend:
- WC IV DVD Cover (red box)
- WC IV 6CD Cover (red box, english)
- WC Kilrathi Saga (needs a tiny fix that takes ~10mins, so 99,5%)
- WC Armada

WC I & II Combo still needs different text on the side and I'll totally redo the Privateer one (thx to Shades2585 pics :) )
So now I need someone who can upload the covers on a hp. I can mail them to him/her this weekend.

DVD Video footage? DVD movies? Both sound good. I'd keep it consistant though so you two decide.

If I have time tonight I'm going to scan the side view of the thin Privateer clasics box for referance. I'm going to be gone all of next week with no computer access but I look forward to seeing all these compleated covers from everybody when I get back.

Great, I can't wait to print it!
BTW, I think that DVD footage is not really good, because DVD is just the physical support, it is not the format or encoding of the video, so "MPEG-2 vide footage/movies" is a lot better... Or "Hi-Res" or something. For instance, the single sided WCIV DVD is (obviously) a DVD but the movies are sucky like the CD version...

Anyways, the Armadas one is also tempting. I'm going to test my free web-host, see if it's working fine. I can upload it, at least for a short time. But why don't you ask the CIC guys, I believe they would gladly host the files.

I wouldn't mind a scan of the original WC Box Edfilho :)

As for the DVD thing, maybe "DVD-Quality movies(or video)" would be a better alternative? MPEG2 was a good suggestion as well. Don't think we have to have the same though, looks like the red box and the European box had different wording to begin with.

So how many versions are they going to do here?
A cd version a DVD Single side and DVD Double side??

I'll leave the WC Original Box scan to you Edfilho ;-)

That's what I had planned at least for my UK version. Virtually finished, here's a look at what there is:

Wing Commander IV UK Cover - 6 CD Version
Wing Commander IV UK Cover - Single Sided DVD Version
Wing Commander IV UK Cover - Double-Sided DVD Version

The six CD cover has an absolutely huge spine, don't think it'll fit on A4 paper, but it's apparently the correct size for the type of case needed. The covers might all seem a little dark, but they print out perfect for me, including the screenshots on the back, so it'll just be a matter of adjusting your printer if necessary. 300dpi versions coming very soon. :)

Ok, I'll try and scan them on monday, after the other people leave the office.
you need the whole box, all sides? what resolution? it is a bit scratched-dog eared, but you boys can fix that :)

BTW, DVD-Quality Movies is a good option. Better than MPG2.

What about the file hosting? I was checking my host, and I don't think I can put much more than 20MB there. But I can try. It will be easier for me to upload the files from work, they have a 2Mb link here, full duplex. And my email here is a lot faster and has no limits. please send the hi-res files in separate msgs to comercial dot rj at gravames dot com dot br
thanx

Front, back and left side (left when looking at the front of the box) would be great, and 300dpi should be more than enough. You can just e-mail them over to me if you want, don't think I've got any limits either, I'll give you my address when the time comes. ;)

In the meantime, I've uploaded all three versions of the WC4 cover in 300dpi, here's the links:

Wing Commander IV UK Cover - 6 CD Version (300dpi)
Wing Commander IV UK Cover - Single Sided DVD Version (300dpi)
Wing Commander IV UK Cover - Double Sided DVD Version (300dpi)

I just decided to keep it as "DVD Video", couldn't be bothered going to change it to be honest. :)

@StewMc: Your WCIV Covers are looking good :) - But one question about the CD-version: For what box is that for??? I have never seen such a big one before :eek: - My 6 DVD-case is as big as your Prophecy 3-dvd-cover.
@Edfilho: The first DVD-Cover (Armada) is on its way :)
IMPORTANT: I was unable to upload it to my Arcor adress, so I used my uni-adress (see priv message)
And too bad, that your hp account is limited too :(

EDIT:
Has anyone tried my Crusader covers?
No, not yet. But they look good :) - Honestly, I didn't try them out, cause I don't own Crusader :/

I got the size for the spine from (the now defunct) dvdcoverart.com template page, it did seem a little big to me, but I've seen other people use the same size of template for other custom 6/7 disc sets (for example, covers for the Star Trek: TNG DVD boxsets). I'll have to buy a 6 disc case to see if it actually fits. ;)

StewMc said:
I got the size for the spine from (the now defunct) dvdcoverart.com template page, it did seem a little big to me, but I've seen other people use the same size of template for other custom 6/7 disc sets (for example, covers for the Star Trek: TNG DVD boxsets). I'll have to buy a 6 disc case to see if it actually fits. ;)
Well, for my 6-DVD-Case it doesn't ;) But as usual there are plenty of sizes out there (I've seen 3-DVD cases in single cases size and as big as my 6-DVD-case.) - Btw, it took me quite long to find smaller 3 DVD cases, which I personally prefer over the big ones.
Oh, and one quetion: StewMc, would you mind to upload my Covers on your side as well? Cause you seem to have enough space + that way every cover would be on one side :)
I think I can upload them temporarly to another HP I just made, with 60mb limit (and small traffic limit I'd guess)
What do you think? Or are my 16mb covers too much for you as well? :(
- Oh well, I should have known that such probs occur when using 600dpi instead of 300 ^^

EDIT: Argh! :( The Homepage I was talking about only allows files smaller than 1.5mb. So that won't work either :/
And to make things worse: the Cover I tried to send Edfilho wasn't uploaded correctly either
Yippy! I must correct my last statement! The Cover I sent Edfilho is up - but for 1 week only. Then it will be deleted automatically.

Got plenty of space, only problem is it comes in 10mb chunks, so 10mb files are my limit for hosting. If you've got anything under than then sure hosting them won't be a problem. :)

Got plenty of space, only problem is it comes in 10mb chunks, so 10mb files are my limit for hosting. If you've got anything under than then sure hosting them won't be a problem.
Lol, it's always the same - always upload limit ^^
But thx anyway :) - I mailed directly to the wcnews staff and they gave me data to upload it :D

Back