Making WC DVD-case covers (1. try)

THE_WUQKED I emailed you the side scan of the thin Privateer box. So check your arcor account.
Hope it helps.
Got it :) - Can't tell yet whether it'll help or not, but thx anyway ;)
Btw, I'm currently downloading the back and the front of the privateer-box.

EDIT:
@StewMc: I've got a question about the Wing Commander IV Cover: What tool did you use to convert it to jpg? I ask, cause I'm unable to read the very small text at the bottom of the back - between Chris Douglas etc. I don't think that comes cause of a bad scan or so, it just looks like too compressed I'd say. Just thought you should know that ;) - But it could be cause of 300dpi as well, can't tell for sure. I can only say, that the Prophecy cover doesn't have that problem.

Nah I think it is a result of the scan, when I compare the jpg with the original scanned picture it's just the same. The writing is absolutely minute on the back of the original box, there's no way to make it clearly readable when printed without making all the text bigger, which would take a major reworking of the back cover. When printed I can just about make out the very very small text, it is very small, but I don't consider it a big issue. (no pun intended) :)

As for tools, I use the built in JPG Optimiser in Paint Shop Pro 8.

to ZFGokuSSJ1:
I only got the version posted on wcnews.com, and it is low res, so I didn't print them... But they look really amazing.

Nah I think it is a result of the scan, when I compare the jpg with the original scanned picture it's just the same. The writing is absolutely minute on the back of the original box, there's no way to make it clearly readable when printed without making all the text bigger, which would take a major reworking of the back cover. When printed I can just about make out the very very small text, it is very small, but I don't consider it a big issue.
That's right, it isn't that important, I'd say so, too. ;) - Just thought it might have been the jpg-conversion, cause, as said, the Prophecy Cover is 100% sharp all over. BUT to:
The writing is absolutely minute on the back of the original box, there's no way to make it clearly readable when printed without making all the text bigger, which would take a major reworking of the back cover.
I have to correct you there. On the back of the redbox version, the text is the same size, but when printed and shown on Screen it's 100% clear to read. - So now you know why I used such "way to big" 600dpi scans instead of 300dpi ;) Btw, I even wanted to use 1200dpi, but that was too much for my paint-proggy + computer, cause I've got "only" 1GB Ram :S - And yes, uploading THAT would have been a REAL pain :(
@Edfilho:I got your PM, now check your own PM :D

@ Wuqked: I read the attachment, I got the files, and I'm glad the CIC will host it! Quality Service!

Now I'm wrestling my lame office pc to actually open and print them. Only 120mb RAM, Win ME... Blargh. My home machine is a lot better, but I have no printer. Well, I'll get it to work one way or the other.

Printing these DVD Covers...

What's the best software/paper to print these out with, particularly the triple spine covers.

I try to use nero cover designer and letter size paper, but it can't seem to print the whole cover, usually gets cut off.

well, nero cover stuff always give me more troubles than solutions. These particular covers can be printed by any program... as long as they're NOT set to "fit to page" or something like that. Just print them at 100% size on landscape. Probably a A4 glossy paper and photo ink cartridge would be better, But I printed mine on regular A4 and regular HP ink, on 600DPI.

Hey, when will we get hi-res versions of the prophecy covers? And what about a single spine version of the great WCKS cover?

I'll get the scan of WC1 original cover tomorrow!

? A single spin for the Kilrathi Cover? Those are 5 Cds. Do you want to put each CD into a seperate case or so? -But if you guys really want that - although I wouldn't know why?! - I could make them, no prob (well maybe some additional fixes needed ^^).

Oh, and StewMc already uploaded the Hi-res Prophecy covers, just search this Thread again ;) I already printed mine :)

To the printing part: I use A4-Photo-paper (similar to HP Premium Plus Photopaper, but cheaper ;) ). - And just my normal cheapy iPhotoPlus to do so.

Duh, found the WCP covers...
The Armada Cover I got by email was incomplete, but the WCIV was preeeetty.
I'm still trying to decide If I'm going to print StewMc's WCIVDVD cover, they look pretty good too, but they are real black ink guzzlers :)

I want the Single Spine KS cover for just the first disk, the one with WC1-2. I play them more often, and so I'd like to put the disk in a dvd cover which is more resilient than jewel cases.

I want the Single Spine KS cover for just the first disk, the one with WC1-2. I play them more often, and so I'd like to put the disk in a dvd cover which is more resilient than jewel cases.
I guessed something like that :) - Will try to make one, when I've got some more time. Currently don't have that much at the moment :(

To the Armada Cover. I see... I already thought that something went wrong there during upload. - Datatransfer was too low :/ But as soon as I got the info where to download the covers I uploaded to wcnews, you can download it complete ;)

EDIT: I just got the mail with the info where to get the covers :)

ftp://ftp.wcnews.com/files/covers/

The last wciv (SET) is all 3 WCIV covers in 1 zip (50mb) Now enjoy :D
Oh, and DS stands for double sided, but I guess you already guessed that

I've just scanned the WC1 original 5 1/4 box. I did it on 300DPI, 24bit color. Thing is, i saved them on TIF format, and the 3 images together weight 35MB, zipped.
Would you people like me to JPG them, or just mail the damned things?

--edit--
Just converted them to JPG without losing quality and they're down to 14MB.

Who wants them, what's the email?

BTW, the box's a bit old and worn out, so you people will have to clean the image up a bit.

The JPG would be fine for me Edfilho, though if you've got the time the TIFs would be even better. ;)

My address is lechuck47<at>btinternet.com (obviously replace <at> with @). Thank you!

Wuqked: wow, those 600dpi covers really are big! I love them though, nice work on altering the back cover text, and nice clear production credits too. :)

ZFGokuSSJ1 said:
Monsieur, were you a huge fan? I play them to this day.

Yeah I was (and still am) a fan. I remember that I fell in love with this game from the intro sequence, when you see all your team being wiped out and decide to join the resistance. The rest was so cool, action was great, graphics were fantastics and I really liked the videos. I remember how the computer genius was hacking into transporter pad to make you escape.

I haven t played this game in Mayber 6 or 7 years. I'm not even sure I still have the CD. I remember it was impossible to play it on Windows.

How hard it is to play it today ?

Well, Stew, if you mail account can handle 35 megs...
Although I couldn't fin any loss of quality in the JPEGs even zooming a lot.

Yeah I think my mail has a 100mb limit so should be fine.

As long as you don't mind sending them then I'll take the TIFs anyway, just me being awkward. :)

Great job on these covers guys! Most of my wc games only came with the discs and not the boxes ( ebay :( ) , so these cases really add a feel of prestige to my games ;)
Did anyone have any luck making a matching Privateer, Privateer 2 Case by the way? If anyone would like nero templates of some of these, let me know, that's what I'm using to print them out and it's working perfectly. Now i'm wanting to make dvd covers for all my other classic games that feel unloved :)

Back